• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Free Trade" OR "Protectionism"

Free Trade or Protectionism?

• Free Trade

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Protectionism

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

eve lost millions of jobs to china...and losing more...weve lost untold numbers to india and the phillipines for two others...this is all about greed...and no matter what color lipstick you put on that pig its the same thing, its absolutely laughable how how right wingers deny it up and down....Its amazing to read some of your anti worker anti everything but the rich posts....

Given the trends of late, that's a highly dubious claim.

Untold numbers? I suppose we'll have to take your word for it.

Yes, the main motivation for decreasing labor costs would be higher profit margins and ease of expansion. As soon as their respective fields cease to be dominated by the entities who follow suit, there is little motivation to operate from a benevolent standpoint.

Hardly, but don't let me dissuade you from continuing to hurl out random unfounded accusations at a furious pace.

International unrestricted free trade has never benefited anyone except the seller. That was us from the industrial revolution through post World War II. But, from the Sixties on, America has faced ever increasing trade deficits.

Go read post #149 before you engage yapper

Last edited:

If the union workers weren't so greedy, those jobs would have never been sent overseas.

If that's the only option we're given to voice our opinion then we need disclosure. Like RDA percentages, we should require companies to stamp the amount of child/forced/indentured/other labor used and the pollution produced for making a given product compared to making it in the US or other First World country.

Last edited:
And how many of those are from First World companies with near the same labor and environmental laws as our own?

Even assuming - and it's a HUGE assumption - that this theoretical company employs 1% of their market (say 150,000 workers) and that part of the market, that 1%, is lost when the company moves production overseas, as long as the company increases profit per unit by a mere 1% they're at break-even. If they increase profit by 2% they've doubled their profit. Chances are their profit will go up by several percent by moving, not just the 1% they loose from unemployment of their own workers. The company doesn't care from where the profit comes or that it looses 1% of the market - as long as profits are higher this year than they were last year.

So you believe that companies which outsource are consciously committing long-term suicide for short-term gains?
Consciously? I'm not even sure you or I do things "consciously".

But if you're asking if they are making a rational choice to outsource I'd think that is obvious - they are. The CEO doesn't give a crap about the company past the point of his salary. If he's getting a huge bonus to increase profits this year then that's what he'll do and he really doesn't give a crap how bad things will be in 5 years when he's ready to use his Golden Parachute.

This is a big problem in American business. It used to be that CEO's did care about long-term gain but that's been changing the past couple of decades for whatever reason. Short-term profit has become the major motivator for American business, not long-term gains.

Last edited:
International unrestricted free trade has never benefited anyone except the seller. That was us from the industrial revolution through post World War II. But, from the Sixties on, America has faced ever increasing trade deficits.
Absolute nonsense. Modernized and self sufficient foreign economies (such as the numerous examples built up primarily through the practice of free trade) are beneficial to everyone they subsequently trade with, and a necessity in a global economy. I don't think the majority of Americans would like to see the results of a drastic decrease in foreign purchasing power, especially seeing as export transactions make up such a significant portion of our annual gdp.

Last edited:
Free-trade. (ten)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…