• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fish

Jay59

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I see no thread in the last year on fish recipes. This one is for Fish Courtbouillon but it's always catfish at our house.

Fish Courtbouillon
4 cups seafood stock
1/3 cup fat
1/3 cup flour
1 cup onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 tsp Old Bay or Cajun seasoning
3 pounds redfish, snapper, or catfish, cleaned
S&P to taste
Warm the seafood stock and set aside.
In a large, heavy, lidded pot, make a medium roux.
Over medium heat, add the onion, celery, and bell pepper
Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add them and the Rotel to the roux and veggies.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
Stir in the warmed seafood stock and seasoning.
Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer until reduced and thickened, about one hour.
Adjust seasonings
Add the fish and sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper
Cover and simmer until fish is poached through, about 10-15 minutes. DO NOT STIR!

This is a good recipe for rough fish, ie less desirable fish, like carp, drum, gar, etc. If you use a meat stock, this would work well with chicken, pork, or game. For real Cajun style, add a spoonful of cayenne powder. How big a spoon is your call.

Sitting on the boat reading this contemplating what my fish dinner will be. Haven't got all those ingredients you listed unfortunately so will be something simpler. Maybe a coconut cream based fish curry I think. I have dropped a number of fish recipes in the "Dinner part dois" thread. It's late summer here and I catch enough fish through the summer to be my main protein. Pan fried Snapper accompanied by fried mushrooms and fried tomato for breakfast this morning. Arrived on the boat last night Caught some bait under the lights before bed, and then a couple of fish for the table as first light this morning sitting on my mooring. Haven't even started an engine yet. Tough life.

Its just me...but if you have to put all that stuff on your fish, why eat the fish?

White meat fish can take on any seasoning you put on it. White meat fish is typically flavorless or at most has very mild flavor. Salmon, trout, and other non-white meat fish actually have flavor that is best spiced simply...and garnished with a little bit of lemon.

Now the exception I make to that is with a good Cioppino. But even then...the seafood should be the star of the show.

And then finally...who cares what I think...if you like it that way...I'm sure its fantastic!

I make this all summer with tomatoes from my garden and local halibut. Really easy. I use sherry vinegar, it's amazing stuff.

One pan fish & cherry tomatoes
Yield: 4 servings

• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
• ½ cup thinly sliced shallots (about 1 large)
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 large cloves)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
• 1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
• ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
• 4 (6-ounce) skin-on mild white fish fillets, such as cod or halibut

• 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest (from about ½ lemon)
• Chopped fresh basil, for serving
• Chopped fresh mint, for serving

PREPARATION
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the tomatoes, shallots and garlic in a 9-by-13-inch nonreactive baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over the tomatoes and toss to combine. Roast until the tomatoes have collapsed and the shallots are translucent, about 15 minutes.

2. While the tomatoes roast, pat the fish dry with paper towels, brush all over with olive oil, and season generously with salt and pepper.

3. Toss the tomatoes, move them to the sides of the dish and place the fish fillets, evenly spaced, in the center. Roast until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes.

4. Sprinkle the entire dish with the lemon zest, basil and mint. Serve the fish with the tomatoes, spooning any remaining juices on top.

I dont add the finishing herbs at the end, I just add a squeeze of lemon juice.

Do you start your Chili-Mac with leftover chili or do it scratch?

I am of the leftover school but I found this on the back of a package.

Cheesy Chili-Mac
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp no-salt chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can beef broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet.
Add the bell pepper and onion and cook on medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add seasonings, tomatoes, broth, and tomato paste.
Bring to a boil and stir in the macaroni.
Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. DO NOT UNCOVER.
Sprinkle with cheese, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.

You could use uncooked white rice in the place of the pasta. My mother would have called it Mexican Rice. A little heat would be welcome, say a chopped chipotle pepper and a spoon of the adobo sauce.

This is rather like what has been called

American Goulash
1 medium onion, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1.5 lb ground beef
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp paprika
red pepper flakes (optional)
S&P
4 15-ounce cans or 2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
3 cups beef broth
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
Soften the peppers and onion in a little oil, for about 4-5 minutes
Add the meat and cook until it is no longer pink
Add garlic and cook for one minute
Add herbs, paprika, pepper flakes, tomatoes, and broth.
Bring to a low boil and stir in pasta and Worcestershire sauce
Cover and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes
Stir in cheese and let stand covered for 5 minutes
You could use 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning instead of the basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. What is shown is a pretty good make-your-own recipe.
As you can see the seasonings are much more Italian-influenced, but a tsp of cumin would add a distinct chili vibe to the dish
Never peek once you add a starch to this sort of dish. The steam does most of the cooking so you cannot let it escape.
This recipe has mixed in cheese but grated cheese at the table is more traditional.

is it for Easter?

Arctic Char - better than Salmon. If you add anything other than salt/pepper and maybe a ever so light touch of balsamic reduction - you are ruining it.

Back
Top Bottom