• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dropping OCS packet

Intel requires continual situational awareness. Guard means one weekend a month. It'd be hard to be good at pulling that off. I'm surprised to hear you describe it as one of the hardest slots - do you mean most competitive to get?

1st, I was in intelligence. I was a 35 Mike as well as 11 bravo, so I'm 100% familiar with the requirements of intelligence.

2nd, Guard intel is not like any other Guard job. I suggest you check out the national guard forums and read about what exactly the intelligence community does in the Guard.

2nd, Guard intel is not like any other Guard job. I suggest you check out the national guard forums and read about what exactly the intelligence community does in the Guard.

That's dead right. I think there's a few misconceptions about what intel does in the Guard. Its competitiveness is underestimated for starters.

My older brother followed a similar path to you. I'll phone him and see if he has any advice in particular that I can message ya.

Congrats and good luck dude!

That's dead right. I think there's a few misconceptions about what intel does in the Guard. Its competitiveness is underestimated for starters.

My older brother followed a similar path to you. I'll phone him and see if he has any advice in particular that I can message ya.

Congrats and good luck dude!

That's awesome! Thank you for your assistance!

Intel requires continual situational awareness. Guard means one weekend a month. It'd be hard to be good at pulling that off. I'm surprised to hear you describe it as one of the hardest slots - do you mean most competitive to get?

While I am (at least for one more month) in the Reserves, not Guard, I did far more real intel work in the Reserves than I did 8 years active duty (spent all my time in school or tactical units)

1st, I was in intelligence. I was a 35 Mike as well as 11 bravo, so I'm 100% familiar with the requirements of intelligence.

:shrug: Dude I'm not trying to chest-bump you, hell, our careers pretty much parallel except I was Marine side (did my first tour as an 0351, then switched over to 0231). I'm just saying it's hard to do intel without the ability to do it day-in-day-out as it requires situational awareness. I'm not that so deeply interested in "what intel does in the Guard" to go try to find guys' accounts online, but if you think it's worth sharing, sure, I'll read.

While I am (at least for one more month) in the Reserves, not Guard, I did far more real intel work in the Reserves than I did 8 years active duty (spent all my time in school or tactical units)

Exactly. Well said.

:shrug: Dude I'm not trying to chest-bump you, hell, our careers pretty much parallel except I was Marine side (did my first tour as an 0351, then switched over to 0231). I'm just saying it's hard to do intel without the ability to do it day-in-day-out as it requires situational awareness. I'm not that so deeply interested in "what intel does in the Guard" to go try to find guys' accounts online, but if you think it's worth sharing, sure, I'll read.

No I get it. I just don't think that you understand that intel work in the Guard, especially attached to a separate unit, is a full time job.

No I get it. I just don't think that you understand that intel work in the Guard, especially attached to a separate unit, is a full time job.

:shrug: I didn't - I assumed the weekend-a-month-two-weeks-a-year bit. That's good that it's full time. Are you supporting your individual commander, then, or working for INSCOM?

:shrug: I didn't - I assumed the weekend-a-month-two-weeks-a-year bit. That's good that it's full time. Are you supporting your individual commander, then, or working for INSCOM?

Oh I haven't even been selected for OCS yet, let alone been assigned a branch. I was merely speaking of personal intel experience in the past. If I do the Guard OCS I can guarantee an intel slot, but since intel officers are WAY overstrengthed, it's likely if I branch intel I'd be assigned staff duty, and then would not even gain command slots.

The national guard is a tricky beast:2razz: We may be called "weekend warriors", but the truth is, there are a lot of MOS's in the Guard that are frequently placed on orders for training or deployments due to their critical nature (IE: Intel, Ranger qualified 11Bravos, 19Ds, Special Forces).

A lot of company commanders and even XO's are full-time Guard.

Question to any prior service or current Officers:

I know it's widely understood that infantry officers must pass Ranger school to get battle/command time. I know it's not 100% set in stone, but it's a downright understood "thing".

In the Guard, is this the same? I had an XO who wasn't Ranger qualified, but I am not sure if he left and qualified before taking a command position elsewhere.

If I branched infantry in the Guard, should I expect Ranger school? I have no fear of RASP and then Ranger school, I am just curious.

Thanks!

Question to any prior service or current Officers:

I know it's widely understood that infantry officers must pass Ranger school to get battle/command time. I know it's not 100% set in stone, but it's a downright understood "thing".

In the Guard, is this the same? I had an XO who wasn't Ranger qualified, but I am not sure if he left and qualified before taking a command position elsewhere.

If I branched infantry in the Guard, should I expect Ranger school? I have no fear of RASP and then Ranger school, I am just curious.

Thanks!
No idea about guard and how officers are managed there but RASP has nothing to do with Ranger school. RASP is for guys going to Ranger BN.

My WOCS packet just got mailed in for processing today. If everything's up to snuff, I should have a verdict as to my selection by mid March.

I've got my fingers crossed! Lol

No idea about guard and how officers are managed there but RASP has nothing to do with Ranger school. RASP is for guys going to Ranger BN.

Yea they cleared that up with me today actually. Board cancelled my med review. I was selected :)

I'm doing guard OCS so I get to choose my branch, excluding Aviation and excluding infantry slots (for 2015- overstrengthed in Infantry).

Chosing intel.

Intel was fun :)

Yea they cleared that up with me today actually. Board cancelled my med review. I was selected :)

I'm doing guard OCS so I get to choose my branch, excluding Aviation and excluding infantry slots (for 2015- overstrengthed in Infantry).

Chosing intel.

Intel was fun :)

EDIT

Ok the recruiting Bat Com just informed me that I still compete for branching slots...not just a choice.

Oh well, I'll compete for intel :)

EDIT

Ok the recruiting Bat Com just informed me that I still compete for branching slots...not just a choice.

Oh well, I'll compete for intel :)

You should have just switched to the Reserves in an intel MOS and then taken a direct commission. Which would have guaranteed you MI.

You should have just switched to the Reserves in an intel MOS and then taken a direct commission. Which would have guaranteed you MI.

The odds of that happening are like .00010% though. According to my uncle who is a battalion XO (support). DCs nowadays are pretty much only medical and engineers and legal.

That was my first hope lol

My WOCS packet just got mailed in for processing today. If everything's up to snuff, I should have a verdict as to my selection by mid March.

I've got my fingers crossed! Lol

Fingers crossed for you bud!

Back
Top Bottom