• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

death to google

i don't either...

but by the same principle, i refuse to give my phone number and physical address to Radio Shack just to buy a fuse...

i don't either...

but by the same principle, i refuse to give my phone number and physical address to Radio Shack just to buy a fuse...

you can say no and still buy that fuse.

here's the thing (to me...)-

whether ya like google or not (me NO... i luv ixquick)... total control whether by gov or by corporations or any combination of both, comes not in one fell swoop where, all at once, we have to have "papers" and are tracked in everything we do... it does not happen that way. it comes by baby steps, where we see very, VERY slight changes in the way things operate, and we may not necessarily "like" it, but, it's not really a big deal either. then, a short while later, it's taken to the next level... and so on, and before we realize, we are in a place that- IF IT WOULD HAVE ALL HAPPENED AT ONCE, we would not have stood for it.

it's all done in baby steps. i like the theory that hegel had (have gotten into it in detail, but have read up on it some...), that of PROBLEM-REACTION-SOLUTION. a problem is presented, we react with a pre-planned, known reaction, and the authority figure gives you their pre-planned solution.

one example- the homeland security act: VOLUMES of legislation that just conveniently happened to be ready within a few days of 9/11... it just makes me wonder why all the text of this bill was ready and waiting for a convenient time to be brought out... i just can't help but wonder about the time and effort that went into writing this...

google is not a BIG deal, but look at the changes that have been enacted in this "information" age.

as much of a wacko as he was, i challenge you to read the unabomber's "manifesto". he was a "book-smart" genius... he was indeed a psychopath. BUT, i have skimmed thru his work... it's kinda scary how much he was "right-on" with what was, and has, happened with science and technology.

again- i say it is all done in tiny, tiny increments... we need to have the foresight to see if we are truly going to place that we want to be in, in 20 or 50 years?

Last edited:
Actually, the old adage... "If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear!" is one of the most misplaced notions I've ever heard.

It happens to be a pet peeve of mine.

Which is why I strongly oppose automated ticketing, and worse, those increasingly omnipotent video cameras that I see popping up at every public intersection in my area.

The fact is mistakes are made by these automated systems quite often. And when made, they are very difficult to fight. Two examples... a friend of mine received a speeding ticket in the mail taken by an automated roadside camera, complete with a photograph of him in the car... unfortunately for him, it was not his car, and it was not him driving. One would think it would be a simple matter of taking this erroneous paper down to the DMV or the court and demonstrating the error. Problem was... the $10/hour employees at DMV couldn't understand how such an error could occur, and therefore had no way to fix the problem. It took him MONTHS to resolve the issue. Example number two... several years ago I received a fine from our local toll authority. It's a privately owned corporation but operates with the graces of local government, so not paying the fine will lead to a court appearance. Problem was... I'd never driven on that highway. Not once. Ever. And I knew exactly where my vehicle was on the multiple dates and times which I'd supposedly passed through. When I called the number on the ticket, the nice lady informed me it would cost more to fight it than to pay it. After all, what's a $75 fine? A letter to the company president and legal counsel (cc'd to my attorney) cleared it up.

The problem is, traffic fines aren't life threatening. But I can't imagine the hell it would be if my car was mistakenly (or not mistakenly) placed near the scene of some horrendous crime.

Or if I happened to be Googling the words 'poison' or 'cyanide' or some other odd search in the weeks before my neighbor is mysteriously found dead in her home. I simply don't trust our nice government employees to be making decisions based on these types of surveillance.

:shock:

The fact is mistakes are made by these automated systems quite often. And when made, they are very difficult to fight. Two examples... a friend of mine received a speeding ticket in the mail taken by an automated roadside camera, complete with a photograph of him in the car... unfortunately for him, it was not his car, and it was not him driving. One would think it would be a simple matter of taking this erroneous paper down to the DMV or the court and demonstrating the error. Problem was... the $10/hour employees at DMV couldn't understand how such an error could occur, and therefore had no way to fix the problem.

No license plates in your state I take it?

GH said:
Actually, the old adage... "If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear!" is one of the most misplaced notions I've ever heard.

I've never done anything wrong in my entire ways. If there is a problem in math, or science that I did not get correct, then I did not get it wrong I just found a way that did not work so well.

Doing drugs and drinking is A okay by me because it is a integral part of nature: YouTube - Lemur gets high

Monkeys drink alcohol:
YouTube - Drunk Monkeys

i mean, how can we live in a time and place where politicians use fear to get elected, where a single company, if Wal-Mart was a nation, could be Chinese (circa) third largest trading partner, where you live 90% of your life in uncertainty.. I don't know w.t.f I am going to do with a degree in Political Science.. might just take the easy way out and go through more school. Where most adults are "unhappy with their jobs".

How can we live in these times and not rot our liver.

Morality is the biggest misconception. Nothing is moral, nothing is immoral, as Humes would say.

I don't have anything to hide...

funny... this EXACT response addressed here-
SSRN-'I've Got Nothing to Hide' and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy by Daniel Solove

Abstract:
In this short essay, written for a symposium in the San Diego Law Review, Professor Daniel Solove examines the nothing to hide argument. When asked about government surveillance and data mining, many people respond by declaring: "I've got nothing to hide." According to the nothing to hide argument, there is no threat to privacy unless the government uncovers unlawful activity, in which case a person has no legitimate justification to claim that it remain private. The nothing to hide argument and its variants are quite prevalent, and thus are worth addressing. In this essay, Solove critiques the nothing to hide argument and exposes its faulty underpinnings.

I don't have anything to hide...

Do you have blinds on your windows?

Locks on your doors?

Things you don't tell others because of security reasons?

Things that aren't wrong but you just don't want others to know?

Things that ight be shady, might not be

Sorry to be crude, but this is bull****, pure and simple. Everybody has something to hide. There is NO such thing as NOTHING to hide - it defies logic. The fact that people don't get this today scares me greatly.

Last edited:
Do you have blinds on your windows?

Locks on your doors?

Things you don't tell others because of security reasons?

Things that aren't wrong but you just don't want others to know?

Things that ight be shady, might not be

Sorry to be crude, but this is bull****, pure and simple. Everybody has something to hide. There is NO such thing as NOTHING to hide - it defies logic. The fact that people don't get this today scares me greatly.

Actually, such is not the point. Google must "warn" the users that this search tool will storage the IP of the user and the places innthe web that the user will visit.

With this warning (assuming that Google includes it in its page or box tool) I can tell you that no one will use Google even if there is "nothing to hide".

I stop using Google as soon I heard what this search tool put in their storage my whereabouts in the web.

Unfortunately, this is something that every company does, here Tashach also posted that he/she has the IP of everybody here...he/she said it as a joke in a massage in the Basement, but actually it's true.

Just imagine if these people want to use their data against you or someone else. do you have a program that "downloads itself new updates? What is the guarantee that this automatic updating is not also pulling information from your computer?

Yes, there is not any guarantee that that can't happen.

So, the only thing that we, the customers can do is to buy another computer never installed to the internet, and storage our personal information in this set apart computer. Later, by using discs or USB portable devices to transfer information from the computer connected to the internet into the other computer.

You might look at the pad lock icon in many transactions which guarantees that no one is taking information from you, but if you are dumb enough to save your password to be connected automatically to any place, your password is exposed to be stolen by anyone who can enter to your computer with an update.

By the way, buy yourself the best computer in the market to be used as your private babe, and to enter online buy a cheap one. Do not expose a good computer to the internet, many programs will automatically connected themselves to "their owners" telling them that you are online and maybe sending information as well.

You can tell this, when many companies "arguing" that they want to protect themselves against piracy, they force you to "validate" your program online, to register your program online, to be used only when you are online...beware of these programs because the companies can be watching everything you do using their software...and no one can control such a espionage...

We live in a world where "informatics" has reached the levels of the absurd, and several companies want to know what you buy, how much money you have, where you eat, what time you wake up, what is your current health, who are your friends, and etc...apparently the idea is to "know you" so they can offer goods for you to buy...but always there is something more beyond this inoffensive and simple tactic to sell goods....:coffeepap

No license plates in your state I take it?

Excellent question!

As best he could figure out, there was a mix-up somewhere in the databases between the District of Columbia and the State of Maryland. He lived in DC. The automated ticket was issued in MD. So the DC license plate number scanned was NOT his, but the MD computer database identified him as the owner of the vehicle. And once the ticket was issued and he tried to correct it, the dummy bureaucrats simply took him for another scammer trying to beat the system somehow. They wouldn't accept the fact that their system was in error.

If the vehicle had been pulled over by a REAL LIVE police officer for speeding, the identification of the driver, as well as details of the car would have been noted immediately. If there was some confusion in the database about the ownership or registration of the vehicle, the officer would have started asking questions...

With the automated systems... questions don't get asked. And the mistakes are often horrendously time-consuming to correct.

;)

Back
Top Bottom