• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms

Well La Di Da for you! :roll: In case this is news to you, I don't think Obama is a "Liberal"

Nothing has been disproven, other than your own ability to have a civil conversation.

Sure it has, but the facts don't matter when it comes to the delusions of the right wing

Yes, it would, wouldn't it, and we can't have that. Too many people would lose their cushy ivory tower jobs, so they'll never allow that to happen.

Question:
The National Governor’s Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers hold the copyright on the Common Core State Standards. Does that mean states can’t change the Common Core?

The Short Answer
Core Question: Does Copyright Mean States Can't Change The Common Core? | StateImpact Indiana

Check that link, I've already quoted him as saying states are encouraged to add nor subtract more than 15% of the standards.

Last edited:
The problem is how Common Core is being used not so much what entity created it (state or federal). Instead of being used as a benchmark to strive toward it's being used as an absolute measure expected. For those students that don't meet that specific measure in a specific time frame, they are deemed failures. I enjoyed listening to the YouTube video of the young man speaking. Sanga already quoted about quantifying. So true.

Last edited:
This guy is 1,000% correct and said it so much better than I ever could.

take a stab at it josie, it's your thread

what did this guy cite as the reasons not to apply the common core within our public education system

i look forward to your reply

take a stab at it josie, it's your thread

what did this guy cite as the reasons not to apply the common core within our public education system

i look forward to your reply

Let's see.... the entire philosophy that learning should be all about test scores, data and mind-numbing continual assessing?

Last edited:
The Short Answer

Core Question: Does Copyright Mean States Can't Change The Common Core? | StateImpact Indiana

Check that link, I've already quoted him as saying states are encouraged to add nor subtract more than 15% of the standards.

Again, I've already told you that you can add or subtract from Common Core standards, but you'll then be setting up your students to fail the Common Core testing if you don't teach them standards they'll be tested on. I'm not sure why you're harping on something that we already learned pages ago...

Here's an example of what teachers now have to do under Common Core...

I have students (several, actually) who read above grade level. They also get As on all of their math tests. Spelling words are waaaay too easy for them and they're writing like 3rd graders. They aren't the kids who need massive amounts of small group and one-on-one time with me and others to get them up to speed. They are really good at teaching themselves when I give them challenging work. Even though these kids are way ahead, way above grade level, ahead of the standards, I still have to look at them with a microscope. I can't just give them an A anymore and call it a day. No. I have to go through every standard under the umbrella of language arts and provide direct examples and documentation showing how I know they're doing well. And not just that I know they're meeting the standard, I have to show specific examples of how I know they're exceeding the standards. And then I have to do the same thing with math, social skills/behavior & science and social studies will be coming soon. Why do I have to do all of this stupid paperwork for kids who are obviously way above level when I could be spending that time actually teaching the kids who are way below level?

I think it's because, despite learning about this "pages ago", a the top of this page you said

No, they cannot change a standard. Period. T

I think it's because, despite learning about this "pages ago", a the top of this page you said

Changing a standard is different then just ignoring it or adding your own standard in.

I'm not sure what other way to say it --- You cannot change the wording of a standard. You can't manipulate a standard to say what you want it to say. They're copyrighted.

I'm sorry Josie, but you didn't. This is #401 from yesterday.

That is what I addressed and when I did earlier,#400, #401 was your response. Your comment about the video, pages ago did not refer to the 15% allowance either. Since you agree, it's a dead point, but I wasn't harping.

Because the federal government says so, and we all know that the government knows what's best for all of us.

Yes, I love Big Brother!

From 6 days ago....

And going onto the rest of the article.......

From 6 days ago....

Then why have you contradicted yourself?

This was in response to my post #400, quoted below.

And those posts were made after the one you quoted here and so I was addressing them. I even mentioned in post #400 that I didn't see you mention 15%.

So now it's settled. You agree that CC standard can be changed but the suggestion is to make a change no more than plus or minus 15%.

And going onto the rest of the article.......

Yes and I mentioned that, but couldn't quote the passage because of fair use.

And:
He says it also helps protects against charges that the federal government had a hand in writing the Common Core.

“The copyright proves that the federal government does not own nor control the standards,” writes Colby.

We now agree, the copyright does not infringe upon the ability of states to make additions or subtractions.

....which we agreed on the entire time. *facepalm*

Can we move on to the more important negative aspects of Common Core?

Gina, do you think an educational system that is grounded in data, testing, data, testing, documentation, more testing, more data, more testing, more documentation .... is the way to go? Did you read my story above of everything teachers are now going to have to do even for the kids who are obviously way ahead? Do you agree that this is a good thing?

....which we agreed on the entire time. *facepalm*

Can we move on to the more important negative aspects of Common Core?
No, you did not, as I demonstrated. And yes, I already agreed, we were done with it.

Some of the white suburban comments from your link.......

"This is the progressive movement coming in for the kill. And believe me, if we don’t stop it, this will be the kill." – Glenn Beck

"Most of us who lived through this Hitler era remember how British Prime Minister Chamberlain gushed how great Hitler’s Youth Corps was, much like those who support Common Core today." – Donald Conkey, Cherokee Tribune

"Remember the quote by Hitler, 'Give me your children and in 10 years I’ll change society?' The Obama administration intends to do just that." – Elois Zeanah

"What the heck am I talking about? The end of the world? Some kind of natural disaster? Zombies? No, something even scarier: the Common Core." – David Kierski

"If this isn't Nazism, Communism, Marxism and all the 'ism's' I don't know what is." – Christina Michas

"Today's teachers and psychologists are NOT being trained to educate students academically or to counsel and help people cope with their problems, but to influence their political views. Does it sound like we're becoming Castro's Cuba? I can tell you from personal experience that we're already there." - New Hampshire Tea Party

"Our kids are going to be indoctrinated with extreme leftist ideology. That should terrify most people." - Glenn Beck

"Now they’re teaching something called Common Core. Folks, this president is emulating dictators. Do you not understand that he is not playing games? If you look at Mao Tse-tung, this boy is emulating Mao Tse-tung to a T." - Bradlee Dean

"Your child or grandchild will not be able to escape Common Core materials that are anti-Christian, anti-capitalism, and anti-America. Or that are pro-homosexuality, illegal immigration, unions, environmentalism, gun control, feminism and social justice." - Elois Zeanah

In lieu of those comments it appears our standards for learning have been lowered and dumbed down for far too long.

Last edited:
In lieu of those comments it appears our standards for learning have been lowered and dumbed down for far too long.

And would be further lowered and dumbed down under such an Outcome-Based, as opposed to Knowledge-Based, system.

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” - Amanda August, Common Core Curriculum Coordinator, Chicago, Illinois.

You learn to solve problems by reasoning and doing, not by memorizing.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…