• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Climate: New study slashes estimate of icecap loss

And you want me to treat you as more than a barometer reader with an unsupported opinion post like that? One that not only ignores vast swathes of climate science but shows no cognisance of basic physics underpinning that science?

the vast swathes of climate science shows nothing except that the climate is changing. none of it proves that mankind is the driving factor.

the vast swathes of climate science shows nothing except that the climate is changing. none of it proves that mankind is the driving factor.

Are humans too insignificant to affect global climate?

and

and there is this

Empirical evidence that humans are causing global warming

You do realize the irony here of your using one man's personal crusade site to bolster your arguments for AGW don't you?

Embarrassing “Skeptical Science” or The Return Of The Aristotelians « The Unbearable Nakedness of CLIMATE CHANGE

Climate Change Dispatch - The New

Notice how nothing you posted actually addresses any of the science on his website? He links to all sorts of peer-reviewed science journals to back up what he says.

Unlike you.

Do you not realize the irony of not posting any evidence of anything you've claimed about climate? Literally all you've said is that "climate always changes." What, therefore mankind cannot possibly affect it? That's completely flawed logic.

Last edited:

Deuce, for you the bar is always just out of reach for information that counters AGW. I wasn't trying to counter his "science" I was countering his credibility and pointing out that the site is biased, and cherry picks data.

That would be obvious to anyone. Why you refuse to acknowledge that is plain to see. So why don't you go on another rant about how there is NO science that counters AGW.

CO2 Charlatanism.

Yes, the ice sheet loss isn't as bad as previously calculated. This is good.

edit: Also, it's freaking crazy that there's enough ice there to compress the earth's crust. Imagine the force necessary to do that!

What do you expect two miles of ice to weigh? And the earth's crust floats on the mantle. The added weight has to deform the supporting structure, it's basic mechanics.

And naturally, there's one more nail in the coffin of the global warming hoax.

Nobody says global warming hasn't happened.

The fact that there WAS an Ice Age, and now there ISN'T is proof of that.

What isn't happening is the Anthropogenic Global Warming. That's a hoax made by dishonestly parsing evidence to craft an imaginative little tale that doesn't reflect the real world.

People with no understanding of the scientific process commenting on a scientific issue are fun

No, I find the need to continually re-educate the ignorance expressed by the AGW clods to be annoying after a while. I mean, now we who pay attention to the earth have to explain simple isostasy to the True Believers?

What's next, explaining how the laser reflectors were placed on the moon that confirmed continental drift?

yeah. I happened to have a MS in chemical engineering and I took several courses in environmental and atmospheric chemistry. but apparently I still don't know how scientific issues work. gotta love it.

Tell me about it. I'm structural engineer and I've had lots of experience in the futility of explaining mechanical failures of buildings to the so-called "Truthers".

Once again - show me you can differentiate between a peer reviewed research article and an opinion blog and I might listen.

Well, Climategate pretty much told us your side is trying to eliminate the honest reviewers and replace them with people who will promote your agenda regardless of what truth is, or, more precisely, despite what the truth is.

How can we "hoax" the following?

Rising Co2 levels
Changing ratios of carbon dioxide isotopes reflecting the increased amount of Co2 derived from fossil fuels
changing levels of long wave radiation escaping the Earth's atmosphere

Well, Climategate pretty much told us your side is trying to eliminate the honest reviewers and replace them with people who will promote your agenda regardless of what truth is, or, more precisely, despite what the truth is.

You mean like when that fake "survey" was sent out mimicking a letter and survey from the National Academy of Sciences. The same survey that was left as an open database anyone could sign on the internet (it did not even have a IP checker so people could sign in multiple times) the SAME survey that is still touted all over the blogosphere as "proof" there " is no consensus on global warming"?

Or the myriad amounts of cherry picked data that flood these threads

Or this

The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), a nonprofit independent scientific organization formed in 1969, has slammed what it calls ExxonMobil's disinformation tactics in regard to climate change. The UCS has just released a report that details how ExxonMobil has adopted the tobacco industry's disinformation tactics (as well as some of the same organizations and personnel), to cloud the scientific understanding of climate change and delay action on the issue. The report claims that in the last seven years, ExxonMobil has funneled nearly $16 million to a network of 43 advocacy organizations that seek to confuse the public on global warming science.

"ExxonMobil has manufactured uncertainty about the human causes of global warming just as tobacco companies denied their product caused lung cancer," said Alden Meyer, the UCS' Director of Strategy & Policy. "A modest but effective investment has allowed the oil giant to fuel doubt about global warming to delay government action just as Big Tobacco did for over 40 years."

Scientists Slam ExxonMobil's Global Warming "Disinformation"

Last July I discussed another ExxonMobil deceit: They are still funding climate science deniers despite their public pledge to “discontinue contributions to several public policy research groups whose positions on climate change could divert attention from the important discussion on how the world will secure the energy required for economic growth in an environmentally responsible manner.”

Even though the UK’s Guardian and other media outlets pointed out the ExxonMobil lie last year, they continue to fund anti-science disinformers. Desmogblog’s Brendan DeMelle has the story in this repost.

ExxonMobil gave $1.5M to climate disinformation groups last year, breaking its pledge to stop funding denial machine « Climate Progress

Got ANYTHING to equal that load of crock and fraud?

How can we "hoax" the following?

Rising Co2 levels
Changing ratios of carbon dioxide isotopes reflecting the increased amount of Co2 derived from fossil fuels
changing levels of long wave radiation escaping the Earth's atmosphere

How many parts per million per year is the CO2 rising?

my give up, better to just go along and scream "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" with the rest of Al's disciples

Oh Ho! are you one of those that does not think the greenhouse effect can be engendered by "such a small amount" of CO2?

How do we know more CO2 is causing warming?

Show me some evidence of this statement.

Show me some evidence that this actually happened.

CO2 can only absorb so much. I think I've yes, yes I have all ready posted the debunking of CO2. So, carry on with your blog site lol.

Can you link the post where you did this?
Also, a few parts per million may not seem like much, but we're talking about in a very, very large atmosphere and this is an accumulation over time. It will only increase. PART PER MILLION! ZOMG SO SMALL! Except it's gigatons per year. Wait, now it seems like a lot!

Maybe you should post some evidence of how much absorption that might cause? Seeing as how you've already "debunked" CO2. (debunked what, I wonder? it's infrared absorption capabilities?)

The present rate is closer to 2ppm. I think your 1.43 number comes from the average over the last century.

Maybe you should actually read that "lol blog site" because it's linking more than a dozen peer-reviewed studies on that page alone.

Last edited:

No, I can't link the post. I've done it a half dozen times. You always seem to miss it then demand to see it later.

I've told you, I'm done wasting effort with you. NO link is good enough, no science legit, no paper peer reviewed properly, no evidence meets you exacting standards... well at least if it counters your AGW stance.

CO2 can only absorb so much. I think I've yes, yes I have all ready posted the debunking of CO2. So, carry on with your blog site lol.

Sceptical science is used because unlike most of the denialist blog sites it llinks to peer reviewed research. Something I have noticed lacking in the denialist posts on this forum.

But if you have a real issue with what was posted there I am more than willing to access a number of other science sites.

It's 1.43 last time I did the numbers.

Really. 1.43 PART PER MILLION.

Think about that for a while folks.

But 15 gigatons of CO2 added each year by man - think about that for a while

BTW - I will start posting links supporting data again when you do - this is FUN!!

Now I a NOT saying you fall into this category but I have had this game played on me before - an opponent insisting that they "have already linked to the evidence multiple times" only the links can never ever be found and somehow they cannot give a synopsis of the argument either

CO2 Absorption Spectrum Explained.

It's still only 1 - 1.5 (at most) parts per MILLION increase, I.E. negligible.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…