• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California Democrats consider wealth tax — including for people who moved out of state

That's a very bold statement that you cannot back up without some research. I dont know that many Democrat farmers, do you? Also probably alot of conservative type construction company owners and other business owners ( I know a bunch ) who build lots of stuff. Almost half the country is conservative-right or non-democrat. Those people dont make anything? Hardly anyone working?
If the conservatives in the rural areas stopped producing, the leftists in cities would know about it shortly as they are no longer able to get food from their grocery stores. One day we may have to put that to the test, since leftists apparently take conservatives for granted.

If the conservatives in the rural areas stopped producing, the leftists in cities would know about it shortly as they are no longer able to get food from their grocery stores. One day we may have to put that to the test, since leftists apparently take conservatives for granted.
And if liberals in the more urban areas stopped producing, conservatives in the rural areas would know it immediately since 2/3 of the economic activity comes from those areas.

Did you have a point?

Yes I can.

2/3 of America's GDP comes from blue counties.

Already cited.

Just a fact.
Just because a county is blue doesn't mean that all residents of the county are democrats/left-leaning. I used to live in San Bernardino County in CA, which is barely blue voter-wise by one percentage point. but still defined as "blue". Lots of Republicans and independents there. So I would say that the actual breakdown is more 60/40. 40% is hardly "not producing much".

As income inequality continues to rise across the nation, the need to tax the top earners more will continue to grow. If income inequality was reducing rather than increasing there would be less need to tax the wealthy more. Get back to the sort of income equality that existed in the 1960s/70s and the tax picture would look quite different.

I would choose the early fifties
over the 60's & 70's.

The more you make, the higher your bracket

Moi

Just because a county is blue doesn't mean that all residents of the county are democrats/left-leaning. I used to live in San Bernardino County in CA, which is barely blue voter-wise by one percentage point. but still defined as "blue". Lots of Republicans and independents there. So I would say that the actual breakdown is more 60/40. 40% is hardly "not producing much".
Right.

No one doubts that.

So are you saying that it is just a gigantic coincidence that 2/3 of the Nation's GDP comes from counties that are majority democrat?

Right.

No one doubts that.

So are you saying that it is just a gigantic coincidence that 2/3 of the Nation's GDP comes from counties that are majority democrat?
No I'm not disputing that fact, I'm disputing your notion that counties outside of your coveted blue counties don't produce "much". What is your main point or endgame in saying that? No one is going to dispute for example, that a greater percentage of college graduates are democrats. Is that what you are trying to say? Democrats are "smarter" or more "educated" so they produce more and are "better"? Thats kind of what it sounds like. If so, then that is quite elitist......

No I'm not disputing that fact, I'm disputing your notion that counties outside of your coveted blue counties don't produce "much".
They produce 1/3.

Interesting thought. The country is about 50 50 between right and right leaning, and left and left leaning yet 2/3 of the economy comes from places that are majority left leaning.

They produce 1/3.

Interesting thought. The country is about 50 50 between right and right leaning, and left and left leaning yet 2/3 of the economy comes from places that are majority left leaning.
We already agreed that just because counties are designated "blue" does not mean that there are not plenty of people in that county who are not left or left- leaning. By your logic, since the country is split 50/50 , then the total amount of produced GDP is also split 50/50. County demographics are what they are, but the non-left people within those counties still produce. Then add all of the non-lefts in the areas outside of those concentrated population centers, and you have the fact that nationwide as a whole, left-leaning people dont contribute any more percentage-wise to the GDP than right-leaning people. For that to not be true, you would have to show that nationally, a greater percentage of registered Republicans aren't working compared to registered Democrats.

We already agreed that just because counties are designated "blue" does not mean that there are not plenty of people in that county who are not left or left- leaning.
But red counties aren't all red either, so how do you explain the disparity. Places controlled by democrats politically produce more than places controlled by Republicans, even though both have a mix of people.

California is a beautiful state to visit and ride motorcycles through. I wouldn’t live there on purpose though.

The US does have this odd rule where you keep taxing people who move abroad.
There have been a few high profile cases of Americans who've moved to the UK renouncing their US citizenship because they intend to stay in then UK and are fed-up with still paying US taxes.
I think I'm right in that the US is the only country with such a rule.
The UK certainly doesn't do it.

you can check out anytime you want, but your money can never leave
The current version just introduced includes measures to allow California to impose wealth taxes on residents even years after they left the state and moved elsewhere.

Exit taxes aren't new in California. But this bill also includes provisions to create contractual claims tied to the assets of a wealthy taxpayer who doesn't have the cash to pay their annual wealth tax bill because most of their assets aren't easily turned into cash. This claim would require the taxpayer to make annual filings with California's Franchise Tax Board and eventually pay the wealth taxes owed, even if they've moved to another state.

California was one of several blue states last week to unveil bills to impose new wealth taxes. The other states were Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New York and Washington. Each state's proposal contained a different tax approach, but they all centered around the same basic idea: the rich must pay more.

I wish them a lot of luck with that. I bet the Supreme Court would toss it out before the ink was even dry.

Remember the non Partisan
Bay Area Dynasties and how they
manage to control a more populous area.
Harris.
Newsom
Bay Area Dynasty products
that manage to swallow S. California voters.

Get It Or Not

Moi

STOP The 🇨🇦ization of
🇺🇸

Are you defending corruprion?

What does that have to do with anything?

Free travel is guaranteed under the Constitution. And way back in 1868 in Crandall v. Nevada the Supreme Court stated that it is illegal for a state to tax individuals entering, transiting through, or leaving a state.

Crandall v. State of Nevada, 73 U.S. 35 (1867)​

U.S. Supreme Court​

Crandall v. State of Nevada, 73 U.S. 6 Wall. 35 35 (1867)

Crandall v. State of Nevada

73 U.S. (6 Wall.) 35

Syllabus

1. A special tax on railroad and stage companies for every passenger carried out of the state by them is a tax on the passenger for the privilege of passing through the state by the ordinary modes of travel, and is not a simple tax on the business of the companies.

2. Such a tax imposed by a state is not in conflict with that provision of the federal Constitution which forbids a state to lay a duty on exports.

And it is clearly outlined in finding 10.

10. The existence of such a power in the states is therefore, inconsistent with objects for which the federal government was established and with rights conferred by the Constitution on that government and on the people. An exercise of such a power is accordingly void.

And the opening statement of the court opinion makes this clear.

The question for the first time presented to the Court by this record is one of importance. The proposition to be considered is the right of a state to levy a tax upon persons residing in the state who may wish to get out of it, and upon persons not residing in it who may have occasion to pass through it.

And it continued on in detail, where no state had the right to tax commerce or individuals entering, exiting, or transiting through a state. Such resides only with the Federal Government.

I have absolutely no idea how or why you are bringing up "corruption", it has nothing to do with this.

maybe not if its a sole state issue..dont know

They do not, as shown in the above Supreme Court ruling of 1867. All interstate commerce and travel rests purely with the Federal Government and not the State Governments.

They can no more tax an individual that wants to leave a state then they can tax a cargo that arrives in or is built in their state that is being sent to another state. If say they wanted to tax all exports of oil from California to another state it would be just as illegal.

Or?
Absorb this or not

Wealth Tax or not

Back
Top Bottom