• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Admin Questions if Global Warming is REAL!

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The dirtiest President in American history continues to uphold his image as the very worst environmental President! He now has a White House official, a lawyer, editing government climate reports on global warming. This guy's not a scientist, but he's editing scientific data to discredit global warming. Oh, did I tell you that this guy, Phillip Clooney was the "climate team leader" and a lobbyist at the American Petroleum Institute, the largest trade group representing the interests of the oil industry? A lawyer with a bachelor's degree in economics, he has no scientific training.

I guess the best way to put this is that Bush & Clooney are both DIRT bags!

The entire article is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/08/politics/08climate.html?

The White House press briefing today on the issue was quite entertaining... makes me wonder how McClelland can keep a straight face when he answers some questions......

here is a transcript of that part:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050608-2.html#d

I'm just going to state for the record, not really relating specifically to this issue, but Scott McClellan has THE hardest job in America, and no matter what he's getting paid, it's nowhere near enough.

RightatNYU said:
I'm just going to state for the record, not really relating specifically to this issue, but Scott McClellan has THE hardest job in America, and no matter what he's getting paid, it's nowhere near enough.
Exactly, that job, no matter who the president is at the time is always the hardest. But I feel sorry for McClellan as he hasn't got the science of it down yet as Rummy most obviously has, of being not informative and dismissive of contradicting statements (honestly I love watching a Rummy Q&A because of how hilarious it is, but McClellan jsut doesn't do it for me...).

Does this come as any real surprise? We all know the Bush Administration has stretched the truth and flat out lied several times before.

He now has a White House official, a lawyer, editing government climate reports on global warming. This guy's not a scientist, but he's editing scientific data to discredit global warming.
Champ, please tell me you don't believe this scam about Global Warming. :doh This was initiated and invented by the UN. It is all computer generated and not based on scientific evidence at all. The law suits are lined up waiting to sue every American company existing in another country. The US is the only country in the world capable of cleaning up any pollution they create. Did you know China will be exempt from regulation? They are the rising super power and have very little environmental regulation.

Squawker said:
Champ, please tell me you don't believe this scam about Global Warming. :doh This was initiated and invented by the UN. It is all computer generated and not based on scientific evidence at all.
You know Squawk, you need to get out more. It's one thing to believe in your President to a fault, but it's quite another to think the ENTIRE world is making up Global Warming.

You're way too smart to write stuff like this. How can you be so anti-abortion claiming that life is so precious yet you have no desire to protect the Earth? It's totally disconnected.

You're way too smart to write stuff like this. How can you be so anti-abortion claiming that life is so precious yet you have no desire to protect the Earth?
I have some inside information on this one Champ. Trust me, it's a scam from top to bottom. I want clean air and water just like everyone else does. We need to pay for cleaning up our country, not every country in the world. The minute we sign on to an agreement we become libel.

Is it any wonder why the United States Senate did not pass the Kyoto Treaty? I believe the vote was 98-0. Someone can correct me on that. But I know it failed overwhelmingly.

That is not what this thread is about. This is about Bush and his cronies purposely changing scientific documents that relate to US ecological regulations to benefit the polluters.

This is about Bush ignoring the truth so that his scummies can make more money. This is about money over ecology.

You write that you're Pro-Clean Water & Air yet you are OK with allowing Bush to be the biggest and worst polluting President in the modern era.

Bush is an eco nightmare. If you cannot see this then, IMHO, you cannot really care about our environment.

flip2 said:
Is it any wonder why the United States Senate did not pass the Kyoto Treaty? I believe the vote was 98-0. Someone can correct me on that. But I know it failed overwhelmingly.
100% WRONG! The Senate NEVER voted on it, ever....

Or to have the United States sign off on it, then? I know the Senate voted 90 something to Zero regarding the Kyoto Treaty.

Edumacate me.

Put your evidence where your mouth is Champ. From Nixon on up, Republicans have led the way on environmental issues. This is another issue the Democrats whine about and use for political purposes.

Squawker said:
Put your evidence where your mouth is Champ. From Nixon on up, Republicans have led the way on environmental issues. This is another issue the Democrats whine about and use for political purposes.

Put your evidence where your mouth is and give the forum something more then "I have insider information". Prove it.

26 X World Champs said:
100% WRONG! The Senate NEVER voted on it, ever....

I sure hope you like the taste of crow, because you've been eating a LOT of it lately.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/03/20010314.html

Even if Bush had WANTED to sign Kyoto, he wouldn't have been able to because the Senate UNANIMOUSLY voted against it.

I honestly don't think you could have been more wrong.

26X said:
You write that you're Pro-Clean Water & Air yet you are OK with allowing Bush to be the biggest and worst polluting President in the modern era.

First, I believe Taft was the biggest president of the modern era. He required a specially built bathtub to contain his girth. And exactly what evidence do you have the Bush is the worst polluting president? You might argue (wrongly) that his policies have allowed for greater pollution, but unless you have video of him strolling through the rose garden tossing litter willy-nilly to and fro I think you should retract your slanderous statement.

Is anyone actually surprised that a politician edited information to present the best case for their side? Does anyone actually think this practice started (or has even intensified greatly) with the current administration?

And yes 26X, the question of whether global warming is a fact must be made a part of this thread because only by assuming that all of the information contained in the edited report was absolutely true can you ascribe any wrongdoing to it's modification. The drive for regulations such as Kyoto come from nations which I can assure you do not have the best interests or prosperity of the United States as their primary concern. All of them would benefit greatly from a U.S. industrially handcuffed as the Kyoto Protocols call for. Did it ever occur to you that the U.S. is not the only nation that puts it's own interests first in the world? Did it ever occur to you that these nations would be exuberant to embrace a theory which accused the U.S. of hastening Armageddon, and thus it must be brought down from it's current lofty position? Kyoto would be economic suicide for the United States, and the jackals are already crouching across the seas ready to take for themselves our remains.

These infallible climatologists who have so certainly predicted the course of our planet's weather over the next century; aren't these those same folks that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid in the late '70s by assuring us that we were about to enter another ice age? Aren't these those people who are predicting patterns which take place over millions of years based on climatological data that has been kept accurately for less than one hundred years? Aren't these the same people who so recently made such dire predictions about El Nino and La Nina? Aren't these those same people who predicted in the early days of greenhouse theory that by the year 2000 the Earth's ambient temperature would have raised seven degrees and flooded out Florida and Louisiana? And I bet a lot of you environmentalists look down your noses at the religious for taking things on faith... Well, we each have our favourite prophets I suppose.

RightatNYU said:

Actually, Alaskan Crab Fishermen have the hardest job.

I have some ocean front property I would like to sell you global warming believers.

Source

The key word is Scientistclaim. They will claim the moon is made of cheese for enough money, IMO. The original idea for the global warming "claim" came straight from the UN using computer generated models. It is a way to bring the US to it's knees. The real cause of global warming is the sun and the action of sunspots. Man has very little impact in the global scheme of things. If we sign on to the Kyoto Treaty, it will be the biggest mistake in our history.

walrus said:
First, I believe Taft was the biggest president of the modern era. He required a specially built bathtub to contain his girth.

Yea, Taft was a big sonofabitch.

And I bet a lot of you environmentalists look down your noses at the religious for taking things on faith... Well, we each have our favourite prophets I suppose.

Very well stated.

Sorry to disappoint you, but what you're citing was a NON-BINDING vote! How'd you miss that pal? Don't believe me:
Source: http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/akyotoqa.asp

What was that you were saying that I couldn't be more wrong? It appears the shoe is on the other foot, champ!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…