• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bill seeks to curb corporate political spending

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Bill seeks to curb corporate political spending - Sacramento Business, Housing Market News | Sacramento Bee

I think this is a very good idea. The way stocks are arranged give managers too much power over the political decisions over a company. That power should be held by the owners directly.

Kind of wish you had posted this in the 'Poll' section.
having said that, I believe that ALL corporate spending on Politicians should cease, at the very least that might bring back some sensibility to Politics.

Not enough information to really understand the details of how it will work, but I can't imagine that this bill will have much of an effect. PG&E's annual net income is $1.3b. They spent $46m on this particular ballot measure, presumably because they believed it would help their corporate bottom line. Depending on how the bill would give shareholders the option to opt out and "receive that spending in the form of a dividend," that might mean that the company would have to set aside a few million extra to pay out that special dividend, which would likely increase the stock price by an equivalent amount.

I can't imagine that the threat of having to spend a few extra million (particularly where its not clear that it will affect the company's overall value) will keep a company from getting involved with an issue that it thinks could have a much larger impact on the bottom line.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…