• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Before Brittney Griner, an American Israeli woman was held in a Russian prison for having cannabis

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Naama Issachar was released in 2020 after 10 months when President Vladimir Putin pardoned her.

Before Brittney Griner, there was Naama Issachar.

What was supposed to be a three-hour layover in Moscow turned into a monthslong ordeal in Russian detention for Issachar, an American Israeli woman who was arrested in 2019 while she was traveling with a small amount of cannabis.

Her case has drawn comparisons to the case of Griner, the WNBA basketball star who pleaded guilty last week to drug charges in a Moscow court. She faces up to 10 years in prison as her family and friends step up calls for the U.S. government to do more to free her.
============================================================
I'll post this again: being too much into weed can screw up your judgement & you make bad decisions like smuggling pot.

I'll post this again: being too much into weed can screw up your judgement & you make bad decisions like smuggling pot.

Ever leave your keys somewhere you didn't intend to? Maybe put them there for a sec and forgot, then you couldn't find them, and then when you do you end up thinking "wait...what? Why did I have that there?"

Griner's plea indicated she intended to argue lack of intent, at least suggesting a plea for leniency on the basis that she didn't realize she had a cartridge tucked into some pocket. Of course, I'm still not entirely sure that's a basis to believe that she even had it. Russia wants a prisoner swap for someone much worse. I can see them framing someone, and I can see the framed person doing what she did to make a backdoor deal to get her swapped out easier to get through.

Ever leave your keys somewhere you didn't intend to? Maybe put them there for a sec and forgot, then you couldn't find them, and then when you do you end up thinking "wait...what? Why did I have that there?"

Griner's plea indicated she intended to argue lack of intent, at least suggesting a plea for leniency on the basis that she didn't realize she had a cartridge tucked into some pocket. Of course, I'm still not entirely sure that's a basis to believe that she even had it. Russia wants a prisoner swap for someone much worse. I can see them framing someone, and I can see the framed person doing what she did to make a backdoor deal to get her swapped out easier to get through.
If she admitted it was her cartridge and she just forgot it was there, how could she be framed?

Their fault. I do not care

There's no factual dispute here. She is bound by the laws of the Russia.

Where are all those Griner fans telling the rest of us to offer some sympathy because she made a simple mistake?

Back
Top Bottom