• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bad experience on military website

Well the contact I got from the website I was on briefly -- to find a Special Foces flag for my dad --was a disappointment. The guy was at least friendly this time, but not only were the flags he had group flags (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 19th, and 20th) but the price tag was $780.00! That and they are one sided and the gentleman suggested I buy two and sew them together! Seriously?

My dad told me via phone the other day from Florida he was in all of the above groups except for rhe 1st, and of course the two reserve units, and wouldn't feel right with a flag from just one of the groups.

Like I said we do have a Special Forces flag from Ebay but it's onesided and looks goofy when the wind is out of the wrong direction.

I guess I will keep looking.

Maybe its time for a plaque with patches from all his units. :lol:

He already has all that not to mention beaucoup ribbons and metals. This is for our flag pole.
That's crazy that he would be in that many groups. Not many people every spend time in more than one or maybe two groups. 19 and 20 is the most surprising as they are the Guard Groups.

That's crazy that he would be in that many groups. Not many people every spend time in more than one or maybe two groups. 19 and 20 is the most surprising as they are the Guard Groups.

Read my post again. I indicated he was NOT in the reserve groups. And he was not in the first which I believe was or is in Okinawa.

And it's not crazy and not uncommon back then. Vietnam was/were a different group(s), as was Ft. Bragg depending on which one(s) were/was deployed, ant the 10th back then relocated to Ft.Devens from Bad Tolz, Germany.

I didn't even mention CCN in Cambodia.

Be happy to PM you his phone number if you want talk to him.
Back then it was not uncommon to relocate every couple of years because I was there as a dependent and remember constantly moving to a new school.

I also remember Ft. Benning and living near DC when my dad attended an intelligence school. Actually didn't see my dad a lot growing up as he was either deployed, on a training mission, or on alert as was the case in I believe '67' when Israel went to war. I remember that well as we were trout fishing near Bad Tolz and and someone came to get him. No cell phones then! Not even a pager!

Last edited:
Read my post again. I indicated he was NOT in the reserve groups. And he was not in the first which I believe was or is in Okinawa.

And it's not crazy and not uncommon back then. Vietnam was/were a different group(s), as was Ft. Bragg depending on which one(s) were/was deployed, ant the 10th back then relocated to Ft.Devens from Bad Tolz, Germany.

I didn't even mention CCN in Cambodia.

Be happy to PM you his phone number if you want talk to him.
Back then it was not uncommon to relocate every couple of years because I was there as a dependent and remember constantly moving to a new school.

I also remember Ft. Benning and living near DC when my dad attended an intelligence school. Actually didn't see my dad a lot growing up as he was either deployed, on a training mission, or on alert as was the case in I believe '67' when Israel went to war. I remember that well as we were trout fishing near Bad Tolz and and someone came to get him. No cell phones then! Not even a pager!

My bad. I read it wrong. I know guys used to move around a lot more back then but that's quite a few. Sounds like your dad would habe some really cool stories. Did he every do a teaching stint at bragg.
As to 1st Group (my Group) we have 1 BN at Okie and the rest is at Lewis.

My bad. I read it wrong. I know guys used to move around a lot more back then but that's quite a few. Sounds like your dad would habe some really cool stories. Did he every do a teaching stint at bragg.
As to 1st Group (my Group) we have 1 BN at Okie and the rest is at Lewis.

Thank you! I thought gosh here we go again a vet attacking a vet. Glad to see that is not the case.

As far as teaching I'm not sure but the more he talks the more I find out things I didn't know. I do know the CIA tried to recruit him to do some kind if weapons training. He told me that in the last year.

If you don't mind I'm going to have the wife scan a pic of him standing next to three reporters in Vietnam and post it here. I instantly recognized one as Morley Safer who went on to be one of the hosts of 60 minutes. It's possible another is Bob Simon that was killed in a car accident just the other day. Maybe someone here can identify the other two for sure?

My dad wasn't a big fan of reporters but was ordered to bring them along on a mission on occasion. He usually was able to ditch them due to a lack of room, but not always.

Thank you! I thought gosh here we go again a vet attacking a vet. Glad to see that is not the case.

As far as teaching I'm not sure but the more he talks the more I find out things I didn't know. I do know the CIA tried to recruit him to do some kind if weapons training. He told me that in the last year.

If you don't mind I'm going to have the wife scan a pic of him standing next to three reporters in Vietnam and post it here. I instantly recognized one as Morley Safer who went on to be one of the hosts of 60 minutes. It's possible another is Bob Simon that was killed in a car accident just the other day. Maybe someone here can identify the other two for sure?

My dad wasn't a big fan of reporters but was ordered to bring them along on a mission on occasion. He usually was able to ditch them due to a lack of room, but not always.
My intent was never to attack or doubt you or your dads stories. I was just surprised as you don't hear about guys moving around that much. Even back than. I would to see that pic. I love hearing and seeing old school SF guys. Some of the coolest things I have done was meet three Son Tay raiders and two SF Medal of Honor winners. Legends in my book

Today it is very hard to change Groups as they focus souch on language and culture for the AOR your groups is aligned with. It can still be done but it's hard and you need a good reason.

Back then they had so many languages and ethnic groups represented in one group they could take their pick. My dad spoke three lanquages and I met one guy that IIRR that spoke 6 languages.

i found the photo but the wife hasn't scanned it yet. I have a scanner but it's no longer compatible with the computer I have now.

Here's the photo. Sorry for the delay and the missing section. I was told that happened when my niece took it to school for something.

My dad is on the bottom right corner seated in a boat with a cigarette in his mouth (He quit a few years after that). And of course Morley Safer CBS correspondent, and later of 60 minutes is on the right end standing.

I was surprised to find a caption on the back. It says:

"Harry Jackson (fourth from left), Director of USAID Region IV, confers with U.S. Special Forces at Moc Hoa, Capital of flood-ravaged Kien Tuong Province in the Mekong Delta. Jackson and his party helicoptered in from Can Tho to survey the damage and assess relief needs. The helicopter pad, a wooden platform mounted on barrels, was the only dry ground in the area."

Here's the photo. Sorry for the delay and the missing section. I was told that happened when my niece took it to school for something.

My dad is on the bottom right corner seated in a boat with a cigarette in his mouth (He quit a few years after that). And of course Morley Safer CBS correspondent, and later of 60 minutes is on the right end standing.

"Harry Jackson (fourth from left), Director of USAID Region IV, confers with U.S. Special Forces at Moc Hoa, Capital of flood-ravaged Kien Tuong Province in the Mekong Delta. Jackson and his party helicoptered in from Can Tho to survey the damage and assess relief needs. The helicopter pad, a wooden platform mounted on barrels, was the only dry ground in the area."

Very cool, what year was this?

That's really cool. Thank you for sharing. The stories I hear from old school SF dudes is part of what motivates me as a current one

That's really cool. Thank you for sharing. The stories I hear from old school SF dudes is part of what motivates me as a current one

Well if you're ever in the Tampa/St.Pete area or northeastern Indiana area let me know and we can arrange a visit. My dad has an 80 plus year old friend and former Special Forces Sgt.Major that was there when SF was first formed. He lives in Port Ritchie, FL. That guys knows everybody from that era almost by first name! His politics match U.S. Conservative!

Well if you're ever in the Tampa/St.Pete area or northeastern Indiana area let me know and we can arrange a visit. My dad has an 80 plus year old friend and former Special Forces Sgt.Major that was there when SF was first formed. He lives in Port Ritchie, FL. That guys knows everybody from that era almost by first name! His politics match U.S. Conservative!
I don't make it down there all to often as Bragg or Lewis is my normal AO but if I do I would love that opportunity.
Next time you talk to you dad tell him thanks for his service and that is young SF guys still look up greatly to what they did.

I don't make it down there all to often as Bragg or Lewis is my normal AO but if I do I would love that opportunity.
Next time you talk to you dad tell him thanks for his service and that is young SF guys still look up greatly to what they did.

Will do!

Back
Top Bottom