• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attacking a Pay Wall That Hides Public Court Filings

Stealers Wheel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

I posted this primarily because I first thought that most people could get onboard with the gist of the article, people ought to have free, or at least affordable, access to federal court records. But then I saw where the ACLU is onboard and I thought there is no way the right wing or the Trumpsters will align themselves with the ACLU on anything.

So, I would like to here the arguments against affordable access to online federal court documents.

I can understand charging for "printed" pages to be sent to you. That is indeed a cost incurred by those storing the records. However, electronic form should not be charged per page like that when nothing is actually printed. The charge for electronic storage of the documents has already been paid for and they should not be fleecing the public like that.

I dont see any reason there should be a charge for simply accessing records; however, like FOIA requests, there is a charge if you request physical copies of documents that exceeds 100 pages and over two hours work.

I was right. Trumpsters are silent. Between a rock and a hard place.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…