• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attacking a Pay Wall That Hides Public Court Filings

Stealers Wheel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Attacking a Pay Wall That Hides Public Court Filings

Todd Heisler/The New York Times

Feb. 4, 2019

WASHINGTON — The federal judiciary has built an imposing pay wall around its court filings, charging a preposterous 10 cents a page for electronic access to what are meant to be public records. A pending lawsuit could help tear that wall down.

The costs of storing and transmitting data have plunged, approaching zero. By one estimate, the actual cost of retrieving court documents, including secure storage, is about one half of one ten-thousandth of a penny per page. But the federal judiciary charges a dime a page to use its service, called Pacer (for Public Access to Court Electronic Records).

The National Veterans Legal Services Program and two other nonprofit groups filed a class action in 2016 seeking to recover what they said were systemic overcharges. “Excessive Pacer fees inhibit public understanding of the courts and thwart equal access to justice, erecting a financial barrier that many ordinary citizens are unable to clear,” they wrote.

Last year, Judge Ellen S. Huvelle of the Federal District Court in Washington accepted the challengers’ basic theory and said the judicial system had misused some of the money.

The case is now on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the challengers have attracted an impressive array of supporting briefs from retired judges, news organizations, civil rights groups and a sponsor of the 2002 law.

Judge Shira A. Scheindlin, who served on the Federal District Court in Manhattan from 1994 to 2016 and signed a supporting brief, said the issue was straightforward.

“There should be full public access to court records,” she said. “It’s an infinitesimal amount of money when you look at the total budget for the court system.”

The federal judiciary’s budget is about $7 billion. Fees from Pacer generated about $145 million in recent years, or about 2 percent of the total.

Judge Scheindlin said Pacer fees were particularly harmful to litigants who represent themselves, to academic researchers who want to explore systemic issues like sentencing disparities and to journalists at smaller news outlets.

There is one shining exception to the federal judiciary’s hostility to free electronic access to its records. In late 2017, the Supreme Court started its own electronic filing system, making virtually all documents filed with the court available online at no cost.

“The Supreme Court’s system is terrific, and it’s a model for how courts can do this,” said Deepak Gupta, a lawyer for the groups challenging the Pacer fees. “It demonstrates that there isn’t any practical obstacle to making filings available for free.”

Pacer does make some exceptions to its 10-cents-a-page charges. Judicial opinions are free. For other documents, there is a $3 cap. People whose fees are less than $15 in a quarterly billing cycle are charged nothing.

Courts also have some discretion to waive the fees. Curiously, they are generally prohibited from exempting “members of the media.”

That policy is bad for democracy, said a brief filed on behalf of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and 27 news media groups, including The New York Times. “As news outlets across the country face leaner budgets,” the brief said, “few can readily afford daunting fees for court records, especially independent journalists and community news media companies.”

“Federal courts need to be providing this access without charge,” said Stephen W. Smith, who was until recently a federal magistrate judge in Houston and who signed a supporting brief. “There are too many downsides to creating these barriers. If you don’t give effective access to these records, it undermines courts’ legitimacy.”

I posted this primarily because I first thought that most people could get onboard with the gist of the article, people ought to have free, or at least affordable, access to federal court records. But then I saw where the ACLU is onboard and I thought there is no way the right wing or the Trumpsters will align themselves with the ACLU on anything.

So, I would like to here the arguments against affordable access to online federal court documents.

I posted this primarily because I first thought that most people could get onboard with the gist of the article, people ought to have free, or at least affordable, access to federal court records. But then I saw where the ACLU is onboard and I thought there is no way the right wing or the Trumpsters will align themselves with the ACLU on anything.

So, I would like to here the arguments against affordable access to online federal court documents.

I can understand charging for "printed" pages to be sent to you. That is indeed a cost incurred by those storing the records. However, electronic form should not be charged per page like that when nothing is actually printed. The charge for electronic storage of the documents has already been paid for and they should not be fleecing the public like that.

I dont see any reason there should be a charge for simply accessing records; however, like FOIA requests, there is a charge if you request physical copies of documents that exceeds 100 pages and over two hours work.

I was right. Trumpsters are silent. Between a rock and a hard place.

Back
Top Bottom