• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheists take aim at Christmas

The Easter Bunny found its way into Christian celebrations of the holiday in Germany and Alsace in the 17th century - more than 1500 years after the first celebration of the holiday. The Easter celebration derives from the Jewish Passover.

Any EVIDENCE rather than your supposition that this was the purpose of the Dec. 25 date? I have already shared the Scriptural backing for it. Put up or shut up!

Why December 25? | Christian History

Settle down man.

Sounds like a lot of conjecture and mental masterbation in that quote.

Very simply once again.

The Annunciation to Mary is celebrated on March 25. The basis for this is that the angel came to her in the sixth month (which very well could have been late March in the modern calendar as measured from the Jewish New Year.) That same passage implies that Mary was not yet with child. Exactly nine months later, we celebrate the birth of Christ.

I am not claiming that this is the day of His birth. However, the December 25 day wasn't simply taken from the blue nor was it unquestionably taken from a pagan festival either.

Check my previous posts. I had already outlined this in more detail, which you and your cohorts basically ignored, presumably because you had no retort to it.

Now, your complaints about Easter would be?

Which was celebrated first, the winter solstice or Christmas? Christmas came after and the reasoning was to convert pagans. You can try to re-invent the reason all you want, but it won't succeed.
Are you attending a winter solstice festival?

Surely Easter egg hunts began CENTURIES after the initial Christian celebrations of Easter.
Gift giving: Didn't the wise men give gifts to Jesus?
Christmas Tree: Came into Christmas CENTURIES after the Dec. 25 date was set.

Fine. Glad it doesn't bother you, but it is used as justification by some that Christmas has pagan roots and it simply is not the case.

Yes, they found a way to explain the date. Spring Solistice is in March. I just popped in here. I haven't been participating in this thread too much. Don't try to put me into some organized group you are fighting.

I'm an atheist. I don't go to meetings. What about the Star discrepancy?

Vernal Equinox is in March. (no such thing as Spring Solstice) Easter is SOMETIMES in March, so there is an automatic link between the two?

Silly! :rofl

Glad it doesn't bother you, but it is used as justification by some that Christmas has pagan roots and it simply is not the case.

No, I use the statics argument people were trying to apply to the English language to prove the Christmas has pagan roots. It's a false argument, but the statics stance is usually mostly false as well.

Vernal Equinox is in March. (no such thing as Spring Solstice) Easter is SOMETIMES in March, so there is an automatic link between the two?

Silly! :rofl

You don't know how many times I make that mistake. It's like a tick with me.

I was just at Chichen Itza in November! :rofl

Refresh my memory on how they determine Easter? (Obviously I haven't read this whole thread)

Not unless they say something inflamatory along with it,
I feel that putting a nativity scene on government property to be inflamatory because it makes it look as though my government supports xianity. Just like xians find saying that there is no god to be inflamatory.

is your core belief so shaky that someone else's representation of their beliefs makes you uncomfortable?
You don't see the irony behind those words? :doh

I could see if the nativity scene was placed next to an athiest or scientology sign that was there first, but the case we are discussing is the exact opposite.
So it should depend in part on who gets their trappings in the space first?

The nativity scene was placed on public property, secular property.

Government of the people, not government of the person, government property isn't "yours" but the majority of people happen to be christian, so it is represented as such,
The Constitution provides that the majority cannot infringe on the rights of the minority. Your attitude and position is that of a xian who simply believes in mob rule, the strongest (greatest numbers) rule over the weak (the few) but I believe that somewhere in the bible (sermon on the mount) that your god claims the meek shall inherit the earth. Of course that was written when xianity was the minority...

I don't even care about the sign that was put up in this story, it was the time, place, and manner which are disgusting. That doesn't matter to the discussion.
That's pretty much how I feel about xians who continue to ignore other peoples feelings in favor of their own desire to be powerful over others. I believe this is the reason xians refuse to stop putting their religious trappings on public property; to display their power over the rest of us. Basically your attitude, we can do as we please because there is more of us than you... in my opinion, it's not very Christ-like. But then, who ever said xianity was Christ-like? Not the actions of xians...

You're absolutely right in that putting that nativity scene on public property violates yout TPM. It was put there during a holiday season (Yule tide), directly in front of a government building and on public property (secular) and was done so to incite acrimony from nonbelievers, by being condescending, arrogant, superiorist, smug.

Right back at "you don't have to believe in it if you don't want to do so but there's no need to make a blatant attack at those who do."
Placing a religious symbol on government property, which is my property, is a blatant attack on my government, which is me. Thanks for playing the, I don't understand our democracy, game.

Placing a religious symbol on government property, which is my property, is a blatant attack on my government, which is me. Thanks for playing the, I don't understand our democracy, game.

Nonsense. There is no constitutional basis for this sort of absurd claim.

:roll:
No, it isn't. In fact, Congress opens with a prayer, that kind of invalidates that whole absolute seperation argument of yours doesn't it? Maybe you can whine about that next, since their "your" employees.

The Constitution provides that the majority cannot infringe on the rights of the minority
Pray tell, Slippery Slope,where is this in our Constitution ?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…