• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another in the long list of reasons why Immigration Judges need to be moved out of the Executive Branch and into the Judiciary

Safiel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Gag order.

This is just the latest incident.

My proposal would move all 700+ existing Immigration Judgeships out of the Executive Branch and would place them administratively under the supervision of the Article III Judiciary, though they would remain Article I Courts. There are currently 69 Courts in locations around the country. I would organize the courts in the form of, for example, United States Immigration Court for the District of Florida, which would include all existing immigration courts in Florida as branches.

Merit selection committees would vet and appoint Judges to the Immigration Courts, who would be eligible to serve until age 75 and would be subject to review and reappointment every 10 years by a separate evaluation committee, but removal could only result if the Judge showed a significant rate of error or reversal greatly exceeding that of his peers or if misconduct occurs. An incident of misconduct would trigger an immediate evaluation review.

The Board of Immigration Appeals would become the United States Court of Immigration Appeals, which would be appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, and who would serve 15 year terms, subject to removal only for cause, with mandatory retirement at age 75. For administrative purposes, this court would be in the Judiciary, but would be an Article I Court.

This would render Immigration Judges independent and give immigrants actual due process of law, rather than the kangaroo court farce that now exists.

Back
Top Bottom