• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alarmed by A.I. Chatbots, Universities Start Revamping How They Teach

Speaking of artists, I've seen artists get into fights with people for their artwork being accused of being drawn by an AI.

I assume this problem will get worse as AI improves.

Skynet be damned, this is the coolest way humanity could get into a war with AI I could ever conceive of. Actual creative differences.
Someone should write a book about it... And then argue with AI about it.

If an AI Chatbot is not a legal person then is using its writing without citation an act of plagiarism? It's an interesting legal question. Could universities get into legal trouble for punishing students under plagiarism rules with respect to Chatbots if no person generated or owns the writings being copied?

For the purposes of exams, it's harder to detect, but not very different from when students started using Google. Eventually it was just declared a tool, much like calculators or various other remedies.

If you really want to test that a student has read, understood, and is capable of presenting and discussing material, you need a follow-up oral exam where you can test the student face to face. Quite resource intensive though.

AI chatbots got Jacksprat banned. Soon, we will all be banned.

For the purposes of exams, it's harder to detect, but not very different from when students started using Google. Eventually it was just declared a tool, much like calculators or various other remedies.

If you really want to test that a student has read, understood, and is capable of presenting and discussing material, you need a follow-up oral exam where you can test the student face to face. Quite resource intensive though.
Hk227:

Or simply return to written exams on paper for the vast majority of post-secondary students and make special arrangements for students with disabilities. If a course is given over the Internet, then monitoring exams and papers will be much more difficult unless the government's of many states require by law that all Chat-bot products have embedded in them metadata identifying the work as AI-generatedand the AI source.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

AI chatbots got Jacksprat banned. Soon, we will all be banned.
Antiwar:

???, say wot now? How would you know that if you're not a mod or administrator?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy

Damn NYT paywall.

All in all, it's getting crazy how AI is becoming pretty smart at making stuff like this.

There's also new AI programs that make AI artwork, and much of it I can't tell was made by an AI (but some can be obvious, AI seems to have serious issues with drawing fingers).
Yeahh. Thats usually how you can tell or if the subject has extra limbs. I once input humanoid female fennec fox and i got what looked like a fennec-taur or output that added a limb and screwed up the face many times. Lengthy descriptions also seem to screw up with the AI.

All in all as someone who appreciates the work that goes into even art commissions much less incredibly professional art i wish these bots were more limited.

Or simply return to written exams on paper for the vast majority of post-secondary students and make special arrangements for students with disabilities. If a course is given over the Internet, then monitoring exams and papers will be much more difficult unless the government's of many states require by law that all Chat-bot products have embedded in them metadata identifying the work as AI-generatedand the AI source.

Locking down the available technology is the easiest, but also quite resource intensive since that usually means having to supply it yourself.
As for purely written exams, people have been cheating on those since they were done on clay tablets. Finding ways to present externally generated content as if it was your own, whether retrieved from a website or from the secret compartment in your shoe. Same principle, different millennia. Also, even with pen and paper exams, while gaining time by not having to do the face to face follow up, you would then have to go back to grading without the benefit of computerized tools. At this time I unfortuantely don't really see any cheap way of tightening up exam integrity.

I think it's just to see how impressive the AI can be.

Some of it is genuinely good, and it's cool to see what an AI can draw from a prompt.

They were playing a “Mozart symphony” the other day on the radio- except it turned out it was not written by Mozart at all but by an AI program, asked to “write.a symphony in the style of Mozart”. It was apparently so good it fooled even many expert musicologists, who were told it was from a recently discovered manuscript.

Scary powerful stuff, this AI.

Back
Top Bottom