• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Not One Time’: Milley Says Joint Chiefs Did Not Violate Oath in Handling Trump

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

7/21/21
In his first comments on new accounts of his actions during President Donald Trump’s last days in office, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley did not deny he had concerns that Trump would not cede power, instead telling Pentagon reporters Wednesday that “not one time” did he or the other service chiefs violate the oath they took to defend the Constitution. “I know there’s a lot of interest out there in all these books that are out there, quoting me,” Milley said, referring to the just-published I Alone Can Fix It, which alleges that in the days leading up to the Jan. 6 insurrection, he and the other Joint Chiefs had told each other that they would all resign rather than carry out illegal orders if necessary. “They may try, but they are not going to f**king succeed,” Milley is reported to have told fellow officers last January, referring to his fears that Trump would attempt a coup. “You can’t do that without the military.” Those accounts and others were published Tuesday in the book, written by Washington Post reporters Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker.

Asked about the accounts, Milley declined to deny that the discussions took place. Instead, he said that the chiefs “always adhered to providing the best professional military advice” to Trump. “We take an oath. An oath to a document. An oath to the Constitution of the United States. And not one time did we violate that,” Milley said. “The military did not and will not be involved in domestic politics. We don’t arbitrate elections. That’s the job of the judiciary, the legislature and the American people. It is not the job of the U.S. military.” Austin took the opportunity to defend Milley. “We fought together. We served a couple of times in the same unit. So I’m not guessing at his character,” Austin said. “He doesn’t have a political bone in his body.”

Kudos to Gen. Milley and the military brass for realizing the authoritarian nature of Donald Trump, and their determination to honor their sacred oath to the Constitution.

There was a presser at the Pentagon yesterday. Gen. Milley stated that he wasn’t going to address the book quotes attributed to him. If the quotes were inaccurate, it would be a simple matter to say so……

That is why a Trump coup attempt in the future will never get off the ground: the military will be sitting on him.

Kudos to Gen. Milley and the military brass for realizing the authoritarian nature of Donald Trump, and their determination to honor their sacred oath to the Constitution.
I too appreciate the human guardrails put into place to block the efforts of a budding dictator - one who was mentally unfit and suffering from a bad case of I LOVE ME and ME ALONE.

Yet you people are impressed by a lying mother****er [Milley] who told the country he was oh so surprised by the quick collapse of the Afghan national army and government.

So go ahead and stay impressed.....on the wrong side of history.

Duly noted.

Last edited:
We are so fortunate we have guard rails now standing up to Trump and his allies' misinformation and outright lies.

Back
Top Bottom