• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Weather icon on my phone - it includes new COVID-19 cases and deaths

neil

DP Veteran
Reaction score
I have a weather icon on my phone on the main page; when I tap on it, it takes me to a page that includes information on new COVID-19 cases in one of the sections on the page.

Here's what it shows:

COVID-19 in Virginia​
New cases 2,357​
New deaths 46​
Sources As of 2021-10-15​

It doesn't specify what the time frame is for these new cases & deaths (i.e. is this daily? weekly? monthly?). Anyways, that's not why I'm posting this.

What I am curious about is what does this have to do with the weather, how do these numbers compare to all other diseases that I along with the rest of the phone-carrying world ought to equally be concerned about & why isn't that being provided by this phone app?

COVID-19 isn't the only disease out there; it's not the only one causing new cases & deaths. There are plenty of non-COVID-19 new cases & causes of death. What are the new cases & deaths of cancer? How about new cases & deaths from car accidents caused by drunk drivers? It would make more sense to have traffic reports include data on new cases & deaths from car accidents caused by drunk drivers than it does for weather reports to include health data.

I have a weather icon on my phone on the main page; when I tap on it, it takes me to a page that includes information on new COVID-19 cases in one of the sections on the page.

Here's what it shows:

COVID-19 in Virginia​
New cases 2,357​
New deaths 46​

It doesn't specify what the time frame is for these new cases & deaths (i.e. is this daily? weekly? monthly?). Anyways, that's not why I'm posting this.

What I am curious about is what does this have to do with the weather, how do these numbers compare to all other diseases that I along with the rest of the phone-carrying world ought to equally be concerned about & why isn't that being provided by this phone app?

COVID-19 isn't the only disease out there; it's not the only one causing new cases & deaths. There are plenty of non-COVID-19 new cases & causes of death. What are the new cases & deaths of cancer? How about new cases & deaths from car accidents caused by drunk drivers? It would make more sense to have traffic reports include data on new cases & deaths from car accidents caused by drunk drivers than it does for weather reports to include health data.
Write a review on the app's store page. If your review gets enough support they may make a change...especially if they charge money for the app.

I suspect that cancer, auto accidents and such are not counted on an hour by hour basis. Covid-19 deaths usually are.. But..having said that, it is a little strange to put that information on a weather app. Oh..Welcome to DP! :)

Here's what it shows:

COVID-19 in Virginia​
New cases 2,357​
New deaths 46​

Cancer isn't contagious. If you don't want COVID information, don't look at the stats.

Write a review on the app's store page. If your review gets enough support they may make a change...especially if they charge money for the app.
It isn't an app from a store page (as far as I'm aware, anyways); it's something that has always been on my phone all along, just like the phone "app" for being able to use the phone as a phone to make phone calls, or the Google search bar, etc. Maybe I should've just referred to it as an icon to try to avoid any confusion.

Anyways, I think you're missing the point. Please take into account the section of the forum where I posted this thread. I don't think this is the kind of situation where writing an app review is would have any sort of impact. I'm wondering if there's some sort of agenda at play, here - in other words, is this being done as part of some effort hype up COVID-19 for propaganda or political purposes?

I do recognize that COVID-19 is real, but seeing COVID-19 information in a weather app (or icon?) is as odd as seeing horse race results there.

I suspect that cancer, auto accidents and such are not counted on an hour by hour basis. Covid-19 deaths usually are.. But..having said that, it is a little strange to put that information on a weather app. Oh..Welcome to DP! :)
Thanks!

It isn't an app from a store page (as far as I'm aware, anyways); it's something that has always been on my phone all along, just like the phone "app" for being able to use the phone as a phone to make phone calls, or the Google search bar, etc. Maybe I should've just referred to it as an icon to try to avoid any confusion.

Anyways, I think you're missing the point. Please take into account the section of the forum where I posted this thread. I don't think this is the kind of situation where writing an app review is would have any sort of impact. I'm wondering if there's some sort of agenda at play, here - in other words, is this being done as part of some effort hype up COVID-19 for propaganda or political purposes?

I do recognize that COVID-19 is real, but seeing COVID-19 information in a weather app (or icon?) is as odd as seeing horse race results there.
Ah...so the weather app (it is an app whether it was on your phone when you bought it or if you installed it yourself) came with the phone.

That means it's either the stock Google weather app or another app that your phone manufacturer put on your phone. In either case, you can complain to someone. You might also think of getting a different weather app.

In any case, if it was put there by Google, what you find odd isn't really all that odd. Google does stuff like that. (and more)

Hell, it's been proven that Google search in your web browser returns results THEY want you to see and reduces the possibility of you seeing results they don't want you to see.

Relevance? I didn't say it was. :rolleyes:

Strawman.
I see. I have to explain the obvious. :rolleyes: The reason that people might be interested in the spread of COVID is that it is contagious and does kill people. You don't get cancer by being around people with cancer. That's why you don't see cancer stats on your weather app.

Ah...so the weather app (it is an app whether it was on your phone when you bought it or if you installed it yourself) came with the phone.

That means it's either the stock Google weather app or another app that your phone manufacturer put on your phone. In either case, you can complain to someone. You might also think of getting a different weather app.

In any case, if it was put there by Google, what you find odd isn't really all that odd. Google does stuff like that. (and more)

Hell, it's been proven that Google search in your web browser returns results THEY want you to see and reduces the possibility of you seeing results they don't want you to see.
I'm only interested in bringing this to the attention of people who would like to learn about instances of bias in the media.

I'm not interested in lodging a complaint against them; it's not having that sort of impact on me to make me want to do that & even if it did, my contention would be that lodging a complaint to them will have any effect given that they have their agenda or reasons for putting it there. It's certainly possible that the app providers surveyed users and found that they found this "feature" desirable, but I have my doubts about this.

If the app were slow in loading, not updating, crashing, or having other problems, then I would be inclined to complain about something like that.

I'm only interested in bringing this to the attention of people who would like to learn about instances of bias in the media.

I'm not interested in lodging a complaint against them; it's not having that sort of impact on me to make me want to do that & even if it did, my contention would be that lodging a complaint to them will have any effect given that they have their agenda or reasons for putting it there. It's certainly possible that the app providers surveyed users and found that they found this "feature" desirable, but I have my doubts about this.

If the app were slow in loading, not updating, crashing, or having other problems, then I would be inclined to complain about something like that.
Okay.

btw, I wouldn't characterize this as "bias in the media". I'd call this bias in Big Tech.

Hmm - nope, I'm not convinced.

I have to explain the obvious. :rolleyes: The reason that people might be interested in the spread of COVID is that it is contagious and does kill people.
Strawman. You're answering a question I didn't ask.

You don't get cancer by being around people with cancer.
You're essentially repeating yourself, here; this is just a rephrasing of "cancer isn't contagious" & I already responded to that.

That's why you don't see cancer stats on your weather app.
I disagree; the reason you don't see cancer stats on your weather app is because cancer isn't weather.

Auto accidents and drunk driving arrests are traffic stats, yet I've never seen or heard any traffic reports that provide such stats. We have to pretend, for a moment, that COVID-19 is weather, in order for my following question to make sense (or think Orwell & newspeak, or something like that): given that a weather app is reporting COVID-19 weather, doesn't it stand to reason that we should also expect traffic reports to include traffic stats too?

Okay.

btw, I wouldn't characterize this as "bias in the media". I'd call this bias in Big Tech.
That's fine, I can understand that, but at least for the sake of context I think it's the most suitable venue. Technically it is in fact media - it's something that's published and media includes things that are published, and part of my intent is to emphasize this or make people aware of this too.

I'd like an app that would point an arrow at anyone not vaccinated (or medically exempt). So I could stay away from them for my own safety ... while baring my teeth at them and making the sign of the cross with my fingers.

Unless I'm on their private property of course. Coding might be tricky.

I'd like an app that would point an arrow at anyone not vaccinated (or medically exempt). So I could stay away from them for my own safety ... while baring my teeth at them and making the sign of the cross with my fingers.

Unless I'm on their private property of course. Coding might be tricky.
The coding for something like this wouldn't be very tricky (provided you know how to do the necessary trigonometric & geometric calculations); what would be tricky is the availability or access to the necessary data. You need for everyone to own and carry a smart phone, for everyone to have this app installed on their phone, for this app to have permission to their location, a trustworthy & reliable way to document and verify that someone has been vaccinated, and data on the perimeter of their property (so it can determine whether or not they're on their property). Once you have the data and location, the apps just need to communicate with servers that provide information on who's within proximity of you & indicates who is or isn't vaccinated, among them.

In reality it would be more practical to make it so it lets you know that a person in proximity is vaccinated, since not everyone will be carrying a smart phone with this type of app installed on it & it's not going to be able to detect people in proximity who don't have a smart phone with the app installed on it, so you'd have to notice that the presence of someone standing near you isn't being indicated by the app & it would only be practical for telling you that someone standing near you is or isn't vaccinated if they do have the app.

Strawman. You're answering a question I didn't ask.
You questioned the relevance of my statement that cancer isn't contagious. I told you why it is relevance. Do try to remember your own posts.

What a stupid thread. You are seeing COVID stats on your weather app because the app developer thought that was data their users would like to see and they want more people to use their app. The bias is only that app developers want more users and thus more revenue. Welcome to a market economy. You are welcome to give them a 1 star review.

again, this the the conservative mentality. Conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracy! everything is a ****ing conspiracy.

OMG!!!! my cereal is soggy. It's the big milk companies causing my soggy cereal!! Must Stop Them!

we're having a flu season of deaths (broken families) around every 3-4 months with no end in sight.

when is enough enough?

Here's what it shows:

COVID-19 in Virginia​
New cases 2,357​
New deaths 46​

Seriously?

I get half angry, half mad when folks post like this.

Lately, I just get more and more disappointed in humanity. Come on man, this is a good thing. It keeps you aware of the most dangerous health crisis we have ever lived through. You should be appreciative.

Peace

You questioned the relevance of my statement that cancer isn't contagious.
That's correct, I did do this & the reason I did this is because by making this irrelevant statement, you were acting as though I had falsely claimed that cancer is contagious. I never asserted anywhere on this thread that cancer was contagious, and in fact we are in agreement that cancer is not contagious. No one else on this thread has asserted that cancer is contagious, and this thread isn't about the notion of cancer being or not being contagious.

I told you why it is relevance.
Not sure what you mean by "why it is relevance" - I guess you meant why it is relevant.

Anyways, this is false; you in fact did not tell me why it is relevant. Perhaps you misunderstand or there's a communication breakdown somewhere, so I'll try to paint you a picture.

Let's say I did say that cancer is contagious; in that case, I would not need to inquire with you about what the relevance is of saying that cancer is not contagious, because I would have asserted one thing and you had asserted the opposite, thus the reason it would have been relevant is because you would've been correcting me.

Since I did not assert that cancer is contagious, there is no connection - or relevance - of your statement (that cancer isn't contagious) to this thread that I'm aware of. Until you succeed in showing how it is relevant, it stands as irrelevant.

Do try to remember your own posts.
I didn't fail to remember my own posts - nor is it necessary for me to remember them, because I along with anyone else is capable of going back and reading or re-reading them to refresh our memory.[/i]

Last edited:
What a stupid thread.
Your sentimental commentary doesn't interest me.

You are seeing COVID stats on your weather app because the app developer thought that was data their users would like to see and they want more people to use their app.
Why do you assert this? Do you have a source to corroborate this? How can I verify this? Is this the only reason?

The bias is only that app developers want more users and thus more revenue.
It's something that's been part of my phone all along. I didn't install it, and I'm not paying a separate subscription fee to them that I can cancel at any time. It's not that kind of app.

Welcome to a market economy.
Your assessment is flawed. The existence of this forum with members posting on it, such as this "stupid" thread, is also part of the market economy. It would be just as much a flawed assessment on my part to welcome you to a market economy as someone who has chosen to chime in on this thread - and calling it stupid. (🤔 How about that, I guess your sentimental commentary does interest me after all!)

You are welcome to give them a 1 star review.
Even if it were an app where I could give it a 1 star review, that wouldn't do anything to get to the issue I'm talking about.

again, this the the conservative mentality. Conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracy! everything is a ****ing conspiracy.

OMG!!!! my cereal is soggy. It's the big milk companies causing my soggy cereal!! Must Stop Them!
Again? Conservative mentality? I'm a libertarian.

Back
Top Bottom