• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Heat records being shattered daily in the Pacific Northwest.

Thats why your opinions are laughable and based in fantasy.

Heres what NOAA has to say.
I'm happy to report I'm a Seattle area resident and I made it through the fire :) All I had was one of those minuature, personal swamp cooler thingees. My standing/portable air conditioner just arrived - I know - but there will be more heat waves this summer, it's only July 1!

I'm happy to report I'm a Seattle area resident and I made it through the fire :) All I had was one of those minuature, personal swamp cooler thingees. My standing/portable air conditioner just arrived - I know - but there will be more heat waves this summer, it's only July 1!
You bought one of those mini swamp coolers you see on the internet that are supposed to be able to cool better than AC? You should start a thread on that.

Generally, a persistent pattern for 30 years.
1625180999685.png

This figure shows how annual average temperatures in the contiguous 48 states have changed since 1901. Surface data come from land-based weather stations. Satellite measurements cover the lower troposphere, which is the lowest level of the Earth’s atmosphere. “UAH” and “RSS” represent two different methods of analyzing the original satellite measurements. This graph uses the 1901–2000 average as a baseline for depicting change. Choosing a different baseline period would not change the shape of the data over time.

Data source: NOAA, 2021
Web update: April 2021

So thirty years makes it 1990? I see a trend, the trend is warming, and 30 years makes it long enough to be a statement about climate in America. Do you agree?

You bought one of those mini swamp coolers you see on the internet that are supposed to be able to cool better than AC? You should start a thread on that.
No, no, no. I had one of those little personal swamp coolers. I just purchased a 14,000 btu standing, portable a/c unit.

No, no, no. I had one of those little personal swamp coolers. I just purchased a 14,000 btu standing, portable a/c unit.
Yeah, you had one that you bought. Did you buy it thinking it would work better than AC because a commercial said so?

Yeah, you had one that you bought. Did you buy it thinking it would work better than AC because a commercial said so?
No, dude. It's all I had because the a/c's were all backordered.

Extreme heat events have always been a regular part of the summer season.
The right combinations of wind direction, lack of precipitation, and high pressure, can, and do create very hot conditions.
I did not single out Portland, as the heat wave affected the entire Pacific Northwest.
NOAA's Climate at a glance, shows the climate warming at 2F per century, so that would include all causes.
I think before this year the max June temp in Portland was 91F, so 115F is 24F above the earlier high,
of that perhaps 2F can be attributed to the climate warming, the rest is all weather!

You really haven't a clue, do you?

Not at all! Consider our present location vs the potential fall in temperatures.
There is potentially a very steep drop in temperatures associated with getting CO2 much below 300 ppm.
003.jpg

Fair warning. Next time you present a graph witnout a direct link to the source in direct contradiction to DP rules, and every time after that, I am going to report you. If you refuse to play by the rules, then you have no business's being here.
That's twice just today. That's enough.

Here are a few things to consider, before blaming greenhouse gasses for record temperatures in cities.
Reduced Natural Landscapes in Urban Areas. Trees, vegetation, and water bodies tend to cool the air by providing shade, transpiring water from plant leaves, and evaporating surface water, respectively. Hard, dry surfaces in urban areas – such as roofs, sidewalks, roads, buildings, and parking lots – provide less shade and moisture than natural landscapes and therefore contribute to higher temperatures.​
---​
Recent studies confirm and quantify that surface temperatures are higher in urban areas than in surrounding rural areas for a number of reasons, including the concentrated release of heat from buildings, vehicles, and industry. In the United States, this urban heat island effect results in daytime temperatures 0.9°–7.2°F (0.5°–4.0°C) higher and nighttime temperatures 1.8°– 4.5°F (1.0°–2.5°C) higher in urban areas, with larger temperature differences in humid regions (primarily in the eastern United States) and in cities with larger and denser populations. The urban heat island effect will strengthen in the future as the structure, spatial extent, and population density of urban areas change and grow (high confidence).​

From the EPA:
Heat islands are urbanized areas that experience higher temperatures than outlying areas. Structures such as buildings, roads, and other infrastructure absorb and re-emit the sun’s heat more than natural landscapes such as forests and water bodies. Urban areas, where these structures are highly concentrated and greenery is limited, become “islands” of higher temperatures relative to outlying areas. Daytime temperatures in urban areas are about 1–7°F higher than temperatures in outlying areas and nighttime temperatures are about 2-5°F higher. Find more information on the Learn About Heat Islands page.​

The Northwest high did not affect just urban areas.

I am curious, the humidity in the area looked low enough that the evaporative cooler might have done some good,
Did it help much?

View attachment 67340784

This figure shows how annual average temperatures in the contiguous 48 states have changed since 1901. Surface data come from land-based weather stations. Satellite measurements cover the lower troposphere, which is the lowest level of the Earth’s atmosphere. “UAH” and “RSS” represent two different methods of analyzing the original satellite measurements. This graph uses the 1901–2000 average as a baseline for depicting change. Choosing a different baseline period would not change the shape of the data over time.

So thirty years makes it 1990? I see a trend, the trend is warming, and 30 years makes it long enough to be a statement about climate in America. Do you agree?
Yes, and what is the scale showing that average warming is, 2 degrees F since 1980,
which is what I have been saying! A 24 F heat wave, if you excluded the global warming, would still be a 22F heat wave!
The summer maximum temperatures in the Pacific Northwest have been increasing at about .2F per decade, for the last century.
NOAA Climate at a glance Regional Time Series
1625225564878.png

Fair warning. Next time you present a graph witnout a direct link to the source in direct contradiction to DP rules, and every time after that, I am going to report you. If you refuse to play by the rules, then you have no business's being here.
That's twice just today. That's enough.
The graph is from the British Antarctic Survey.

I am curious, the humidity in the area looked low enough that the evaporative cooler might have done some good,
Did it help much?
It got me through the heat wave. It worked just fine.

It got me through the heat wave. It worked just fine.
It looked like conditions were right for an evap cooler to do some good, but that is of course subjective to high high you are willing to raise the
humidity to achieve cooling. Evaporative cooling would only work in Houston for the hottest portion of the day.

It looked like conditions were right for an evap cooler to do some good, but that is of course subjective to high high you are willing to raise the
humidity to achieve cooling. Evaporative cooling would only work in Houston for the hottest portion of the day.
Swamp Coolers work poor in high humidity areas and great in low humidity areas.

Swamp Coolers work poor in high humidity areas and great in low humidity areas.
Correct, but during the peak heating hours of the recent heat wave the humidity was low.
A quick look at the hottest day, Weather Underground Portland 6/28/2021 shows that when the temps were
over 100 F the dew points were in the 50's and 60's, so a swamp cooler could drop the temps to within about 4F of the dew point.
Even something as simple as a wet towel in from of a window fan, should have helped a lot.

In my miniature cooler you freeze the filter so that the vapor temp will always be below the outside air temp. Here's the amazon link to the item:

Yes, and what is the scale showing that average warming is, 2 degrees F since 1980,
which is what I have been saying! A 24 F heat wave, if you excluded the global warming, would still be a 22F heat wave!
The summer maximum temperatures in the Pacific Northwest have been increasing at about .2F per decade, for the last century.
NOAA Climate at a glance Regional Time Series
View attachment 67340821
I'd be interested in seeing what it shows for the last 30 years. Can you run those figures? I think you'd agree that the impact of human activity on climate is dramatically different in 1990 to 2020 than it was from 1920 to 1990.

It didnt happen in my fairly rural neighborhood, but it happened right down the road and in many other areas: power outages.

I considered some of the a/c options but my ceiling fans and a tower fan made things pretty bearable, even for my dogs that I hosed off (but then ya have to bring wet dogs in the house 🤨). The ceiling fan over the bed is like a jet engine, but quiet and I had no trouble sleeping.

It's all about the power. If it goes out, none of that stuff works so I'm looking at the smaller pools (not those little kiddie pools. And I have one of those big sun shade umbrellas...I'm thinking I'll get the pool and set all that up.

It will be interesting what will be presented as concrete evidence of cause and effect?

Fossil fuel companies have for a long time known about the fact that fossil fuel emission causes warming with devasting effects.

The fossil fuel companies reaction was to spend massive amount of money on deceiving the public and influence politicians to delay action on climate change.

While the fossil fuel companies can no longer hide the facts and instead have to publicly support the Paris Accord because the evidence are so overwhelming and well known.

Last edited:
View attachment 67340784

There this is also part of global there each decade is getting warmer and all the years since 2014 have been the warmest on record.

20202019EOYGlobalTemps_Top10_en_title_lg.jpg

20202019EOYGlobalTemps_Decades_en_title_lg.jpg

There this is also part of global there each decade is getting warmer and all the years since 2014 have been the warmest on record.

View attachment 67340914

View attachment 67340913

Feedback loops are an ongoing problem, I especially hate the idea of this loop.
"In the Arctic, methane and carbon can be found in permafrost, as well as in frozen peat bogs and under sediment on the sea floor. As these bogs and permafrost thaw thanks to climate change, the methane and carbon within are released into the atmosphere, adding yet more GHGs that can lead to further global warming. More warming results in more permafrost loss, adding yet more GHGs to the atmosphere to create even more warming and more melting permafrost, and on and on. Given that frozen Arctic soil holds an estimated 1,460 to 1,600 billion tons of trapped carbon – almost twice the amount of GHGs currently in the atmosphere – scientists are deeply concerned about the unprecedented warming in the region and what it could mean for global efforts to halt rising temperatures."

Back
Top Bottom