• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BLM Statement on Ma’Khia Bryant

GummyVitamins

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Ma’Khia Bryant​

April 23, 2021

At the exact same time the verdict of Derek Chauvin was being read for murdering George Floyd, police wasted no time in senselessly taking another Black child.

Ma’Khia Bryant. We say her name.

Ma’Khia Bryant called the police for help.

Columbus police officer Nicholas Reardon showed up and shot this 16-year-old child point blank within a matter of seconds.

Another Black life stolen with no regard.

Together, we’re going to uplift, center, and honor this Black child for what she loved — doing her hair, making TikToks, and being a teenager. Her account is currently deactivated, but we’ve compiled a few of her TikToks on social media so we can all remember her joy.

Ma’Khia Bryant’s life mattered.

This is not a troll website, this is the official BLM website and this is their official statement on Ma'Khia Bryant after police prevented her attempted stabbing of another black girl. I know it's hard to tell that this isn't a parody of what a BLM statement would look like in this situation, but it's real. BLM wants you to know that a police officer "stole" her life "with no regard" while she was attacking an unarmed girl with a knife.

Emphasis original.

This is not a troll website, this is the official BLM website and this is their official statement on Ma'Khia Bryant after police prevented her attempted stabbing of another black girl. I know it's hard to tell that this isn't a parody of what a BLM statement would look like in this situation, but it's real. BLM wants you to know that a police officer "stole" her life "with no regard" while she was attacking an unarmed girl with a knife.

Emphasis original.

Thank goodness for that brave Officer.
Bless them all.
👮‍♂️👮‍♀️🚓

Well, I've already explained at length why I don't see anything the officer could reasonably expect to do otherwise given the absurdly short amount of time in which he had to act to prevent Ma'Khia from carving up the girl in pink.

I could say more about this statement, but I won't, since I know this Trumpist thread is dishonestly designed to use one statement to try to attack the BLM movement, and that the the real overall purpose there is to discredit the idea that black lives matter just as much as anyone else's.

Thank goodness for that brave Officer.
Bless them all.
👮‍♂️👮‍♀️🚓

Right, because you care about the life of the girl who was saved....

:rolleyes:

Emphasis original.
Evil organization fomenting division based on false narratives.

Well, I've already explained at length why I don't see anything the officer could reasonably expect to do otherwise given the absurdly short amount of time in which he had to act to prevent Ma'Khia from carving up the girl in pink.

I could say more about this statement, but I won't, since I know this Trumpist thread is dishonestly designed to use one statement to try to attack the BLM movement, and that the the real overall purpose there is to discredit the idea that black lives matter just as much as anyone else's.

I don’t think it’s specifically made to discredit BLM but it does show that BLM is a means to an end and not an honest movement for justice

Emphasis original.

Ma'Khai didnt call the police for help though. So are they mistaken or lying?

And it obviously wasnt senseless, nor did the cop shoot her point blank. BLM needs to use more accurate words, but I suspect theyre going for dramatic effect instead of fact.

I don’t think it’s specifically made to discredit BLM but it does show that BLM is a means to an end and not an honest movement for justice

First of all, do you not see the conflict between saying "I don’t think it’s specifically made to discredit BLM", but then saying it shows "that BLM is a means to an end and not an honest movement for justice"?

That's kinda what I'm talking about. No, it doesn't show that it isn't an "honest movement for justice". At most it shows that they can be over zealous.

These things always get played up and converted into an attempt to discredit the entire concept of whatever on-the-left thing is being targeted. Sort of like when there were a bunch of peaceful protests last summer, but in some cities looters, rioters, and thugs decided to use the protesters as shields between the police and themselves. So they went and committed crimes. Some bastards lit things on fire.

That wasn't described as such by the people I was referring. The threads are splattered all over DP. It was played as BLM is a violent Marxist movement and they're all rioters, not protesters, and the like. It was made to discredit not only BLM, but the entire message that black lives matter as much as anyone else's. What would be the only way for protesters and BLM to avoid this stigmatization? By sitting down, shutting up, and by no means protesting police brutality.

I guarantee you that to the extent the BLM post about this girl gets discussed on DP, you are going to see a ton of Trumpist posts saying that it shows they just hate the police, that they defend thugs, yadda yadda yadda.

First of all, do you not see the conflict between saying "I don’t think it’s specifically made to discredit BLM", but then saying it shows "that BLM is a means to an end and not an honest movement for justice"?

That's kinda what I'm talking about. No, it doesn't show that it isn't an "honest movement for justice". At most it shows that they can be over zealous.

These things always get played up and converted into an attempt to discredit the entire concept of whatever on-the-left thing is being targeted. Sort of like when there were a bunch of peaceful protests last summer, but in some cities looters, rioters, and thugs decided to use the protesters as shields between the police and themselves. So they went and committed crimes. Some bastards lit things on fire.

That wasn't described as such by the people I was referring. The threads are splattered all over DP. It was played as BLM is a violent Marxist movement and they're all rioters, not protesters, and the like. It was made to discredit not only BLM, but the entire message that black lives matter as much as anyone else's. What would be the only way for protesters and BLM to avoid this stigmatization? By sitting down, shutting up, and by no means protesting police brutality.

I guarantee you that to the extent the BLM post about this girl gets discussed on DP, you are going to see a ton of Trumpist posts saying that it shows they just hate the police, that they defend thugs, yadda yadda yadda.

Its more than “overzealous” BLM might as well be a left wing NRA. It’s about money and power. If BLM were to admit that a shooting was justified they would lose a lot of supporters and they simply aren’t going to do that

Its more than “overzealous” BLM might as well be a left wing NRA. It’s about money and power. If BLM were to admit that a shooting was justified they would lose a lot of supporters and they simply aren’t going to do that

2i36aqs94t501.jpg

I'm a little disappointed in this BLM statement to be honest. The cop saved the life of another person and his actions shouldn't be characterized as 'senseless'.

No...it's to discredit the BLM organization, which is a different thing entirely.

You obviously don't. You've proven that time and again with how you've continually question whether others car, which only makes sense if that's how you think and assume everyone else does as well.

I'm a little disappointed in this BLM statement to be honest. The cop saved the life of another person and his actions shouldn't be characterized as 'senseless'.
I feel the same way. It does not reflect well on them from where I sit.

We all know you do not believe that Black Lives Matter. You don't have to keep reminding us. :)

Say it with me Phys:

White Lives Matter.

Will you say it?

This is not a troll website, this is the official BLM website....
"Official BLM website?"

BLM is a movement, not an organization. It doesn't have a single leader that speaks for them. It's decentralized. Individual chapters operate autonomously.

Anyway. Chances are that Ma’Khia Bryant was the one who called the police, because she was getting harassed by two other women. Ironically, "Stand Your Ground" laws in Ohio mean that her actions may have been legal.

I'd also add that the officer could have easily shot the girl he was ostensibly trying to protect.

It is not clear yet whether the shooting was justified. What is clear is that this wasn't happening in a vacuum. Aside from police killing 3 people a day in the US -- a significantly higher rate than in most comparable nations, of course -- Columbus' police does not seem to care much about the lives of its residents, when their skin is brown.

But hey, why let a little thing like police accountability, and sympathy for the dead, get in the way of a juicy anti-black rant? :rolleyes:

Say it with me Phys:

White Lives Matter.

Will you say it?
No problem....Ill say it with you.

White lives matter.

That having been stated, show me a time in the history of this country where that was ever in question.

I can do so in the lifetime of both my living parents where the same couldnt be said for black people.

Thats the difference. It apparently needs to be reiterated that we dont live in those times anymore.

Unless I see evidence to the contrary, I would characterize this as a legitimate lethal police intervention.

I do wonder though why the officer pulled his service weapon immediately after exiting his patrol car rather than his taser, and why he fired four times with others in such close proximity.

It's probably just sheer dumb luck that the girl in pink wasn't also struck by either an errant or a through-and-through bullet.

Who needs to debate when you can just post a meme. Are you sure you’re not a Trumper?

Oh the irony of that childish comment coming from a righty. :LOL:

Unless I see evidence to the contrary, I would characterize this as a legitimate lethal police intervention.

I do wonder though why the officer pulled his service weapon immediately after exiting his patrol car rather than his taser, and why he fired four times with others in such close proximity.

It's probably just sheer dumb luck that the girl in pink wasn't also struck by either an errant or a through-and-through bullet.

I don't think the officer is going to get charged, and by all accounts that's probably the right call.

What we need to be talking about is what the hell led that girl up to that crazed state. Kids don't just act like that for nothing.

"Official BLM website?"

BLM is a movement, not an organization. It doesn't have a single leader that speaks for them. It's decentralized. Individual chapters operate autonomously.
There is an organization called Black Lives Matter and it does have leaders. We can pretend to be ignorant or we can face reality and recognize what this thread is referring to.

I don't think the officer is going to get charged, and by all accounts that's probably the right call.

What we need to be talking about is what the hell led that girl up to that crazed state. Kids don't just act like that for nothing.
Why do we need to talk about this? To blame the victim of police violence?

You people always bring up past crimes to discredit victims. Doubly so when they are people of color.

"Official BLM website?"

Anyway. Chances are that Ma’Khia Bryant was the one who called the police, because she was getting harassed by two other women. Ironically, "Stand Your Ground" laws in Ohio mean that her actions may have been legal.

I'd also add that the officer could have easily shot the girl he was ostensibly trying to protect.

It is not clear yet whether the shooting was justified. What is clear is that this wasn't happening in a vacuum. Aside from police killing 3 people a day in the US -- a significantly higher rate than in most comparable nations, of course -- Columbus' police does not seem to care much about the lives of its residents, when their skin is brown.

But hey, why let a little thing like police accountability, and sympathy for the dead, get in the way of a juicy anti-black rant? :rolleyes:
That's kind of right. One might notice that if they click the "donate" button on the page linked to in the OP it goes to the ActBlue donation page so, technically, the statement isn't so much about Black Lives as it is about fundraising for democrats. Personally, I find that kind of deception to be a little on the unsavory side but, as I've been saying, the goal is propaganda, not facts, and if the Democrats can make a few bucks off this dead chick then good for them!!

if that statement is actually attributable to BLM, then it was a misstep that only aids its detractors

Back
Top Bottom