• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Zimmerman: The Prosecution's Gambit? [W:50]

Personally, I think Murder 2 is impossible. If that's true, is Manslaughter a possibility?

I've thought that the jury is going to want to find ZImmerman guilty of SOMETHING. If he's found guilty of Manslaughter, he faces 30 years in prison, as I understand it. From the Florida statutes:

One of the spins out there is that this has been the prosecution's plan all along. I must admit that, without a plan like this, I can't even imagine why charges were brought.

Caveat: While I think this whole incident is a tragedy, I don't think he's guilty of anything. But I think the jury may well want to find him guilty of something... some lesser charge.

What are your thoughts?

(If anyone so much as MENTIONS 50-ft from the T, 10-ft from the T, THE T!!! I will spin myself into the ground, fly out of my computer screen and haunt them.)

Unfortunately, I believe there is a possibility of manslaughter which can bring a sentence of up to 15 yrs. Should that happen, I think this judge will give him the upper level of time and maybe the full 15.

The crime of Manslaughter in Fla can be committed in one of three ways, either by:

Manslaughter by Act: Committing an act that was neither excusable, nor justified that resulted in the death of another person.
Manslaughter by Procurement: Persuading, inducing, or encouraging another person to commit an act that resulted in the death of another person.
Manslaughter by Culpable Negligence: Engaging in “Culpably Negligent” conduct that resulted in the death of another person.

If convicted of Manslaughter, a judge is required to impose a minimum prison sentence of 9¼ years in prison and can impose any additional combination of the following penalties:

Up to 15 years in prison.
Up to 15 years of probation.
Up to $10,000 in fines.

Florida Crimes: Manslaughter

Re: Zimmerman: The Prosecution's Gambit?

Really?

It happens to you everyday that some freaky little weirdo follows you through your neighborhood on a rainy night?

That's facinating.

I've spent plenty of time in concealed carry states and I can't remember it ever happening.

Now, I'll concede that there was a tremendous likelyhood that at some point the guy in line behind me at the Food Lion was probably carrying concealed.

But then again, Trayvon Martin didn't turn around and start beating the snot out of some guy in line at the grocery store.

You're just making a really irrational attempt to rationalize this. It obviously failed.

That's because they are carrying concealed and you cannot see the gun......

Whatever.....you people see are hypocrites arguing to preserve a double standard.

I'm not guessing here ....no white person would want to live in a country where black people are free to follow them around with guns.

When whites in America today say ...they had nothing to do with slavery .....issues like this shatter that myth!! This is what whites inherited from the slave legacy!!!

A society with a baked-in inequalities (based on race) that favors whites .... and the whites ...they fight to portray this society as equal!!

This is always the elephant in the room in the American society ....touch that ...and boy do you touch a nerve!!

But this happens all the time... and often results in a crime. On both sides... though not in this case.

I guess you don't know who the president is or his race... Or the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

That's because they are carrying concealed and you cannot see the gun......

Gun or no gun, the point is that I've never been stakled through my neighborhood on a rainy night by a freakin' weirdo (unless maybe it was a really weird ninja and I didn't see him).

I don't think George Zimmerman carrying a gun was the problem, I think George Zimmerman's behavior while carrying the gun was a problem and I think his behavior is what's indicative of him being an idiot.

You defend racial slurs?

I defend your right to use the racial slur you used (or to speak freely in any other respect).

It isn't something I would have said myself but in the interest of rapport building I'm not going to turn a thread about Zimmerman's likely manslaughter conviction into a crusade against you behaving like a racist.

Gun or no gun, the point is that I've never been stakled through my neighborhood on a rainy night by a freakin' weirdo (unless maybe it was a really weird ninja and I didn't see him).

I don't think George Zimmerman carrying a gun was the problem, I think George Zimmerman's behavior while carrying the gun was a problem and I think his behavior is what's indicative of him being an idiot.

Looks like that is up to a jury, eh?

I defend your right to use the racial slur you used (or to speak freely in any other respect).

I didn't use a slur. I quoted testimony. Just like if we discuss the use of the word 'nigger', I have not used a racial slur. I don't appreciate being accused of using a racial slur just because I quoted testimony. That's the kind of contemptuous BS that causes full grown adults to refer to "the N word".

Obviously, the discussion of racial slurs is not the use of them.

It isn't something I would have said myself but in the interest of rapport building I'm not going to turn a thread about Zimmerman's likely manslaughter conviction into a crusade against you behaving like a racist.

Again you accuse me of using a racial slur based on my quoting testimony?

Your accusation is a small-minded slimeball tactic, a pathetic and cowardly accusation of racism. What's next, a riot?

If the shoe fits...

Do you stand by this comment, in defense of racial slurs?

Last edited:

Looks like that is up to a jury, eh?

I think that's something you might want to drop in the suggestion box.

Advise the management of this site that legal matters are to be handled by law enforcement and the judiciary and rebuke them for creating an ENTIRE SPECIAL SUBFORUM for discussion, specifically, of this matter (note that you are currently in the "Zimmerman / Martin Case" subforum of the "Law and Order" subforum of the debatepolitics.com discussion forums).

:mrgreen:

Last edited:

I didn't use a slur. I quoted testimony.

Since you made no mention of the fact that you were quoting testimony I had no idea you were quoting testimony.

You'll forgive me, I trust, for not having commited all of the testimony in this case, in its entirety, to memory.

I see now that you put quotes around the comment but since you didn't attribute it to anyone in particular I guess I must have assumed that surrounding things you say in quotations was simply some peculiarity to your posting style. I've seen stranger things here on the Interwebz.

I just went and Googled the comment and I see now that it was actually a comment Rachel Jeantel made during cross examination the other day.

Do you stand by this comment, in defense of racial slurs?

I've already made my position on racial slurs clear.

I defend anyone's right, yours (regardless of whether or not you actually do) and Rachel Jeantel's alike, to use racial slurs.

I may not use them myself, and I may find them reprehensible generally, but the 1st Amendment guarantees our right to use them and I stand with the Constitution.

I think the Constitution makes the right call here.

As a white man I don't feel hurt, belittled, offended, put upon, or effected in any other way by Jeantel's use of the word "cracker" to refer to a white man.

Words are just words and they have no more power to hurt us then we deliberately surrender to them.

To the contrary, a prohibition against using any particular word is a pretty slippery slope.

You may find "cracker" offensive.

I may find "Jesus" offensive.

Do we only prohibit the words you find offensive?

See what I mean?

I keep hearing these repeated questions and seeing these pictures of Zimmerman and have to wonder....is the jury getting that this is irrelevant?
If the kid was kicking Zimmerman's ass .....it doesn't matter when he was the one who stalked and attacked the kid.

And when you kill somebody ...and have time to fabricate your story .... with no one to refute it ...how is this justice?
It's so very obvious Zimmerman made up the story .....nobody says ..."you got me"...after being shot!!! LOL that's only something you read in comic books!!

I defend anyone's right, yours (regardless of whether or not you actually do) and Rachel Jeantel's alike, to use racial slurs.

I may not use them myself, and I may find them reprehensible generally, but the 1st Amendment guarantees our right to use them and I stand with the Constitution.

But you did use one, didn't you? When you wrote ~"if the shoe fits...".

As a white man I don't feel hurt, belittled, offended, put upon, or effected in any other way by Jeantel's use of the word "cracker" to refer to a white man.

Of course not, because real racism requires institutional backing and a black man's prejudice against you means nothing compared to actual racism - a system by which oppression and privilege are established.

Words are just words and they have no more power to hurt us then we deliberately surrender to them.

I'm guessing you also have no clue what US hate speech and hate crimes entail.

Do we only prohibit the words you find offensive?

Of course I'm not offended by racial slurs against me, I'm in the majority with power and privilege. Those who would piss in the wind are of no concern. But this is not about being personally offended. That's not what hate speech or crime laws are about anyway.

This is about you approving of racial slurs:

If the shoe fits...

I think that's something you might want to drop in the suggestion box.

Advise the management of this site that legal matters are to be handled by law enforcement and the judiciary and rebuke them for creating an ENTIRE SPECIAL SUBFORUM for discussion, specifically, of this matter (note that you are currently in the "Zimmerman / Martin Case" subforum of the "Law and Order" subforum of the debatepolitics.com discussion forums).

:mrgreen:

I have maybe 10 posts here, as it is like the CT forum.

I posted here to support 2 OP's who I like.

Vague, the owner, is accommodating consumer demand, which I respect highly.

There are way too many here who have invested more time in this case and have become obsessed.

I keep hearing these repeated questions and seeing these pictures of Zimmerman and have to wonder....is the jury getting that this is irrelevant?
If the kid was kicking Zimmerman's ass .....it doesn't matter when he was the one who stalked and attacked the kid.

And when you kill somebody ...and have time to fabricate your story .... with no one to refute it ...how is this justice?
It's so very obvious Zimmerman made up the story .....nobody says ..."you got me"...after being shot!!! LOL that's only something you read in comic books!!

Tell that to Serino and the other officer who testified, that don't see it that way.

Tell that to Serino and the other officer who testified, that don't see it that way.

You mean the stupid Fl police who bungled the case....the ones who didn't think it warranted a follow-up....that police?
Mr. I_HATE-OBAMA ....Tea Purty supporter .....is that the police you're referring to?

Zimmerman committed murder ...plain and simple...the only question is ...will he pay for his crime.

You mean the stupid Fl police who bungled the case....the ones who didn't think it warranted a follow-up....that police?
Mr. I_HATE-OBAMA ....Tea Purty supporter .....is that the police you're referring to?

Zimmerman committed murder ...plain and simple...the only question is ...will he pay for his crime.

Happy trolling... Buh bye

I have found that the media has been touching up the photos of Trayvon and Zimmerman to make Zimmerman look more guilty and Trayvon look more innocent ...
What do you think??

Martin and Zimmerman.jpg

Here is more evidence of the media selecting photos of them to create a bias:
trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-photos-images-race-baiting-obama-photo-media-bias-sad-hill-news.jpg

In this exclusive photo Zimmerman is clearly attempting to upstage the serious Martin:
zimmerman and martin.jpg

As a 42-year-old man I agree with you 110%.

Follow me around these days and almost without exception my response would be to get to someplace "safe" as quickly as possible and I'd be on the phone with the police while I was moving. These days I have what we refer to as "common sense", and I've got too much to lose (a house, a family, obligations that require I not be in prison, etc...) to be running around getting in altercations with strangers.

But when I was a "kid", say between the ages of 16 and 25?

Zimmerman got off easy. I would have come out from behind the bush with a paving stone in my hand and any "furtive movement" by Zimmerman would have gotten his skull caved in.
Seriously.

I've both given and received some hellacious beatings in my day and almost all of them were precipitated by far less than some freaky looking little troll of a man stalking me on a rainy night.

I would vote for the death penalty if a 16-25 year old came behind someone and crushed his skull with a rock. I would particularly note your tactic of "would have come up from behind."

Your motive for doing so being how the "freaky little" man looked? It would seem you are being candid that your xenophobia/bigotries run so deep that in younger years you felt it would justify murdering someone for it.

I have found that the media has been touching up the photos of Trayvon and Zimmerman to make Zimmerman look more guilty and Trayvon look more innocent ...
What do you think??

View attachment 67149773

Who did those photos that way is a bigot. All who continue to fixate on the race of both are bigots. The worst are white people pretending to be rage of African-Americans. That's what I think.

I would vote for the death penalty if a 16-25 year old came behind someone and crushed his skull with a rock.

So would I.

I would particularly note your tactic of "would have come up from behind."

Get the wax out of your eyes.

I didn't say that I would have come up from behind anyone.

I said I would have come out from behind a bush (assuming TM was actually hiding behind a bush and "ambused" Zimmerman).

Honestly, is reading really all that difficult?

Your motive for doing so being how the "freaky little" man looked?

You apparen't haven't been following this thread, or the Zimmerman trial, all that well. Have you?

The "freaky little man" was only "freaky" because he was staling a child through the neighborhood, in the rain, in the middle of the night.

For all this kid knew Zimmerman was a pedophile kidnapper.

It would seem you are being candid that your xenophobia/bigotries run so deep that in younger years you felt it would justify murdering someone for it.

If by xenophobia/bigotries you mean my distaste for creepy grown men who pack guns and use the false courage that provides to stalk kids in the dark, color me guilty.

The units are built on slab and the bushes are below the windows.. I would guess they were about 30 inches.

Who did those photos that way is a bigot. All who continue to fixate on the race of both are bigots. The worst are white people pretending to be rage of African-Americans. That's what I think.
Do you think that if the guy in that photo shot and killed the kid in that photo claiming self defense, the cops would have let him go home that night? WHAT SIDE WOULD YOU BE ON ?? Be honest.
Trayvon and Zimmerman.jpg

Back
Top Bottom