• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Zimmerman lawyer to ask Florida to pay up to $300,000 in legal costs: report

buck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Good for him.

Zimmerman lawyer to ask Florida to pay up to $300,000 in legal costs: report

George Zimmerman, whose acquittal in the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin sparked protests across the United States, will ask Florida to pay up to $300,000 of his legal expenses, his attorney told the Orlando Sentinel on Monday.

Zimmerman could not recoup attorney fees under the law, but he could seek costs related to the trial such as expenditures for expert witnesses and an animated video that defense attorneys showed jurors, the Orlando Sentinel reported. The costs could range between $200,000 and $300,000, the paper said.

Sounds reasonable.

So when does he make NBC pay his attorney's fees?

Why dont he just write a book or sell his story to a producer to make a movie.
I am glad he didnt get convicted, but I am not happy to pay his legal fees.

Electing morons can be quite expensive. Why should Zimmerman incur massive debt from simply being falsely accused by the state? It was not NBC vs. Zimmerman, or Martin vs. Zimmerman, it was the state of Floriduh vs. Zimmerman. ;)

Electing morons can be quite expensive. Why should Zimmerman incur massive debt from simply being falsely accused by the state? It was not NBC vs. Zimmerman, or Martin vs. Zimmerman, it was the state of Floriduh vs. Zimmerman. ;)
Because the state brought the case in good faith.
Weak as it was. If we pay every defendent that wins his case, Florida will be broke by weeks end.
Or we will just quit arresting people.

Weak as it was. If we pay every defendent that wins his case, Florida will be broke by weeks end.

The state did not bring the case in good faith, they weren't going to even have a case. They brought the case because of the Race Baiters.

There is a system in place (or should be) to help to avoid this situation - the grand jury. That allows the common citizens of Floriduh to have a "preemtive" say in these decisions to proceed to trial. The state has been granted virtually unlimitted resources to prosecute cases, and I agree that not all cases are (easily) winable without them, but we should not allow the state's officials to ignore facts simply to try to score political points. This case was not brought based on any solid evidence of a crime, but based on political pressure to appease the loud public objection to perceived "racism".

There is a system in place (or should be) to help to avoid this situation - the grand jury. That allows the common citizens of Floriduh to have a "preemtive" say in these decisions to proceed to trial. The state has been granted virtually unlimitted resources to prosecute cases, and I agree that not all cases are (easily) winable without them, but we should not allow the state's officials to ignore facts simply to try to score political points. This case was not brought based on any solid evidence of a crime, but based on political pressure to appease the loud public objection to perceived "racism".

Exactly!

I quit reading at seeing "Floriduh" again.
I have been to Texas many times. Dont brag. Texas is a dump.

The state did not bring the case in good faith, they weren't going to even have a case. They brought the case because of the Race Baiters.

The charges were valid. You had a death, a killing and only one person was a real eyewitness. The shooter.
Charging him didnt surprise me at all.
Yes, the race baiters put pressure on the system as did the media. But in the end, the charges had merit. Had the prosecution taken the gift from the bench, Manslaughter. Zim would be in jail right now, not touring the Kel Tec plant.

The charges were valid. You had a death, a killing and only one person was a real eyewitness. The shooter.
Yes, the race baiters put pressure on the system as did the media. But in the end, the charges had merit. Had the prosecution taken the gift from the bench, Manslaughter. Zim would be in jail right now, not touring the Kel Tec plant.

He would unjustly be in jail. That being said, the state should have held their ground and not charged him. They caved and decided to, therefore, they get to pay the charges. That is fair and just.

He would unjustly be in jail. That being said, the state should have held their ground and not charged him. They caved and decided to, therefore, they get to pay the charges. That is fair and just.

Thats not the states money we are talking about. Its the taxpayers.

Thats not the states money we are talking about. Its the taxpayers.

Actually, after it leaves the tax payers hands, it IS the state's money. Zimmerman is ALSO a tax payer that was treated unfairly by the state.

Watching the trial made it clear that the state had no reason to bring charges. That had zero evidence of a crime. They didn't even have a theory of a crime.

Watching the trial made it clear that the state had no reason to bring charges. That had zero evidence of a crime. They didn't even have a theory of a crime.
They had a dead man. Thats close enough. They had a man who admitted shooting him. All else you had was a living "victim" and his side of the story.
I had no problem with him being arrested, I am glad that SYG was not used and self defence won out. But I have no problem being made to prove it.

They brought a case because it was election season. Polls showed Obama losing Florida and nationwide support among African-Americans was lackluster. The case was an excellent way to divert from all issues and gain African-American activism. the prosecutor Corey was up for election too.

They had a dead man. Thats close enough. They had a man who admitted shooting him. All else you had was a living "victim" and his side of the story.
I had no problem with him being arrested, I am glad that SYG was not used and self defence won out. But I have no problem being made to prove it.

Yes, everyone who acts in self defense should be arrested, charged, jailed and stripped of every dollar they have plus be in debt - all of which is consistent with your views against self defense in real terms. It is particularly important to not allow a citizen's grand jury to be involved either, nor the police make the decision. ONLY politicians should make all legal decisions and everyone who acts in self defense should be charged and arrested for murder and forced into jail and trial to prove she/he isn't.

That'll teach those nasty evil people not to carry guns! You shoot someone in self defense and the government will declare you a murderer and treat you as a murderer. :roll:

are you happy with the amount of tax dollars the prosecution spent in a failed attempt to convict GZ?

IMO, when some one is charged and found not guilty, their defense expenses should be paid for by the prosecustion.

All of this might have been avoided if the State would have used a grand jury.

There's no way paying successful defenses could work out.

I would put myself in a shady position (though innocent) and get arrested for something. I would then pay my friends exorbitant amounts to provide supporting evidence in my defense that will ultimately be decided by an iron-clad alibi or other fool-proof physical evidence of innocence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom