• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zimbabwe brands US ambassador 'a thug' as crackdown on dissent intensifies.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The title: Zimbabwe brands US ambassador 'a thug' as crackdown on dissent intensifies.

The quote: "Zimbabwe’s ruling party has threatened the US ambassador with expulsion, amid an intensifying crackdown on opposition and union activists ahead of planned anti-corruption demonstrations on Friday.

"Officials from the Zanu-PF called ambassador Brian Nichols “a thug” who was fomenting unrest by funding protest organisers.

"The accusation came as police published a “wanted list” of 14 prominent critics of the government including trade unionist Peter Mutasa, opposition legislator Job Sikhala and two former youth leaders of the ruling Zanu-PF party."

The link: Zimbabwe brands US ambassador 'a thug' as crackdown on dissent intensifies | Zimbabwe | The Guardian

The comment: I have followed the trajectory of Zimbabwe for many years. That mis-fortuned land, under a succession of strongmen, has seen great suffering of its people. Its government ranks as, arguably, one of the five most corrupt. I have some idea of the clandestine attempts the United States may have made to overthrow the present leader and his party. They are not worth the doing. The forces at work in Zimbabwe, with its deeply entrenched culture of graft and corruption, will simply serve up a do-alike replacement.

Zimbabwe's government calling anyone a thug is more than a little precious, even if Trump did appoint one.

Zimbabwe's government calling anyone a thug is more than a little precious, even if Trump did appoint one.

Hi!

The other thought which crossed my admittedly ancient and perhaps feeble mind was, 'It takes one ... .'

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

The title: Zimbabwe brands US ambassador 'a thug' as crackdown on dissent intensifies.

The quote: "Zimbabwe’s ruling party has threatened the US ambassador with expulsion, amid an intensifying crackdown on opposition and union activists ahead of planned anti-corruption demonstrations on Friday.

"Officials from the Zanu-PF called ambassador Brian Nichols “a thug” who was fomenting unrest by funding protest organisers.

"The accusation came as police published a “wanted list” of 14 prominent critics of the government including trade unionist Peter Mutasa, opposition legislator Job Sikhala and two former youth leaders of the ruling Zanu-PF party."

The link: Zimbabwe brands US ambassador 'a thug' as crackdown on dissent intensifies | Zimbabwe | The Guardian

The comment: I have followed the trajectory of Zimbabwe for many years. That mis-fortuned land, under a succession of strongmen, has seen great suffering of its people. Its government ranks as, arguably, one of the five most corrupt. I have some idea of the clandestine attempts the United States may have made to overthrow the present leader and his party. They are not worth the doing. The forces at work in Zimbabwe, with its deeply entrenched culture of graft and corruption, will simply serve up a do-alike replacement.

While the Zimbabwe government has little room to talk, it is certainly true that the State Department has been a malignant force everywhere in the world that its influence has been felt (including the unfortunate place once known as Rhodesia). They are wrong to attribute this malice to the particular bureaucrat who happens to be its face in a given country.

If they desire to escape from the freak show, it would not be sufficient to expel one of these people. The whole cancer would need to be excised, together with its quasi-private appendages.

Pot, Meet my pal Kettle.

How many opposition members were killed by Mugabe's hit squads during his iron-fisted tenure?

Back
Top Bottom