• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zero Dollar Medicare

Ouroboros

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I hit the big six-five soon, and I’ve been deluged by mail promising zero dollar premiums on Medicare. I would assume they are all scams, but I have seen the same stuff on TV commercials.

Even if it’s not a scam, it’s some sort of gimmick. So do they get you on the back end and drain you dry, or what?

I am still working. Medicare cost me $235 a month and my advantage is another $40.

Better than what I was paying with Blue Cross

I hit the big six-five soon, and I’ve been deluged by mail promising zero dollar premiums on Medicare. I would assume they are all scams, but I have seen the same stuff on TV commercials.

Even if it’s not a scam, it’s some sort of gimmick. So do they get you on the back end and drain you dry, or what?

Generally, you pay some or all of the regular Part B premium even in a "zero dollar premium" plan.

Medicare Advantage plans place bids that are compared against benchmarks based on traditional Medicare spending. If a bid is higher, they charge the difference to you as a premium. That premium is in addition the normal Medicare Part B premium. If the bid is lower, the insurer gets some of the difference to put toward additional benefits for you, or to help you with your Part B or D premiums.

So zero dollar premium plans are just plans where the private insurer bet that it could provide benefits at a lower cost than traditional Medicare.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like in some cases you might end up paying more than your regular premiums just for the chance of paying less at other times.

Back
Top Bottom