• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelenskyy warns mercenaries recruited to help Russia fight against Ukraine that it will be 'the worst decision of your life'

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Zelenskyy warns mercenaries recruited to help Russia fight against Ukraine that it will be 'the worst decision of your life'

iu

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned mercenaries recruited to help Russia fight against Ukraine that it will be "the worst decision" of their lives. Zelenskyy said in a video address posted to his Telegram channel early Friday morning that Ukraine is aware of mercenaries being recruited from other countries to join Russia's military. "We know that this will not help them," Zelenskyy said. "So now I warn everyone who will try to join the occupiers on our Ukrainian land. This will be the worst decision of your life." He added: "Long life is better than the money you are offered for a short one."

More than three weeks since Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered his military to attack Ukraine, the offensive appears to be largely stalled on all fronts. As a result of mounting casualties and a struggle to break Ukrainian resistance, the Kremlin is seemingly seeking external combat options — Chechen fighters, Syrian mercenaries, and Russia's notorious Wagner Group. Zelenskyy has survived a handful of assassination attempts by these mercenary groups, according to multiple reports. Foreign fighters have also joined Ukraine to fight against Russia's invasion after the country established an International Legion for volunteers from other countries. "Anyone who wants to join the defense of Ukraine, Europe and the world can come and fight side by side with the Ukrainians against the Russian war criminals," a statement on Ukraine's presidential website said.

Kill them on the battefield. If captured, charge mercenaries with terrorism. A life sentence.

The difference between mercenaries fighting for Russia and the mercenaries fighting for other countries— like, gee, the “contractors” the US uses— is....what, exactly?

Are we going to declare that all contractors are “terrorists” now?

Geneva Convention doesn't apply to mercenaries. They're lower than terrorists.

Is the Russian Federation also expected to met out same treatement Rogue Valley recommends for mercenaries on the Russian side to mercenaries Russians capture fighting on the Ukrainian side?

Is the Russian Federation also expected to met out same treatement Rogue Valley recommends for mercenaries on the Russian side to mercenaries Russians capture fighting on the Ukrainian side?

Certainly.

But Western mercs are probably advising, and not front-line cannon fodder which the Kremlin will use theirs for.

I think it's safe to say that the Russians will wish to make a clear example to dissuade foreigners from coming to the aid of the Ukraine.

Let me add that I don't think the Russians are bringing in mercenaries to do conventional front line fighting.... they've got their own forces for that. The mercenaries are going to be doing what their forces aren't going to have the stomach for.... anti-guerrilla operations.

Last edited:
I would not classify all mercs as terrorists though these chechen mercs seem particularly bloodthirsty.

Certainly.

But Western mercs are probably advising, and not front-line cannon fodder which the Kremlin will use theirs for.

In the larger scheme of things my impression is that Ukraine has been doing very well. I will not begrudge her any success in her hour of need.

Wonder how they will get paid? Comrad, here's your rubles for this weeks work? Did you bring a wheelbarrow to collect them in?

Seems to be the Russian military way also.

Agreed... but it's about to get a few orders of magnitudes worse. That's why they're worse than terrorists.... terrorists only kill you once. Mercenaries keep on killing you day after day.

They don't deserve the Geneva Convention... they need to be shot on sight, same as you would a rabid dog.

Back
Top Bottom