• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelenskyy representative blames U.S., other Budapest Memorandum signatories for Ukraine's war

Ukraine trusted the US to perform on the promises made by the US.

Historically and obviously a bad move.

We promised not to attack Ukraine. (We haven’t.)

We promised to help pay for the removal of nukes. (We paid.)

We promised to seek action in the U.N. Security Council if another nation attacked Ukraine. (We sought.)

SO WHAT PROMISES ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

We promised not to attack Ukraine. (We haven’t.)

We promised to help pay for the removal of nukes. (We paid.)

We promised to seek action in the U.N. Security Council if another nation attacked Ukraine. (We sought.)

SO WHAT PROMISES ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Integrity.

They were on their territory.
If your car is parked in my driveway it doesn’t become my car.
They possessed them.
Illegally sure, but they couldn’t use them. Most of those were strategic weapons that not only can’t be used on against the Russians because they’re too large, but they were on ICBM platforms that have to enter low earth orbit. It would be physically impossible to hit any target in Russia except maybe the Far East. And if Ukraine vaporized Vladivostok, or worse, if they fired some decrepit Soviet missile that landed in China they’d be so ****ed it wouldn’t even be funny. Tell babushka to throw a paint balloon on the retaliation strikes.

That’s why Clinton was sweating bullets about the country giving them up, which not everyone in Ukraine wanted to do at the time.

Who cares what they wanted? They would’ve been a pariah state if they didn’t give them up.

If your car is parked in my driveway it doesn’t become my car.

Why are you assuming it’s my car? Weren’t we married?

Illegally sure, but they couldn’t use them. Most of those were strategic weapons that not only can’t be used on against the Russians because they’re too large, but they were on ICBM platforms that have to enter low earth orbit. It would be physically impossible to hit any target in Russia except maybe the Far East. And if Ukraine vaporized Vladivostok, or worse, if they fired some decrepit Soviet missile that landed in China they’d be so ****ed it wouldn’t even be funny. Tell babushka to throw a paint balloon on the retaliation strikes.

They must have had value, because Clinton was sure eager to have that memorandum signed.

We have no obligation to Ukraine’s “integrity”

Integrity has more than one meaning.

Also more than one home.

I was not speaking of Ukraine's integrity.

Agreed, the problem is that eats away at the empty promises of US foreign policy for security guarantees.

Other countries may seek shelter with the devil they know. Ukraine is going to have to make a deal with Russia they can live with.

We clearly shouldn't have made the guarantee, but the other option was to have Ukraine be nuclear armed and on Russia's border with no clear way of telling how it would go politically.

We clearly shouldn't have made the guarantee, but the other option was to have Ukraine be nuclear armed and on Russia's border with no clear way of telling how it would go politically.

It seems there was no perfect solution.

What's going on right now is evidence of another failure by our diplomats and spies that has blown up in our collective face.

Back
Top Bottom