• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelensky's Finest Hour

Juin

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

You gotta give it to him. He is the man of the hour. I have been very impressed with how Zelensky has grown, matured, and come to dominate the political landscape. It is hard to see that any other Ukrainian politician could have done better in galvanising resistance inside Ukraine, and outside Ukraine. The present crisis with Russia has given him more glogal coverage than ever before. It is hard to dislike him. It is even harder not to have admiration for him. And that is saying something in my case, given that I am more pro Russian in my inclinations. And the man speaks some serious English! There were a few interviews Zelensky masterfully handled in English. Accented but fluent. Heck, if he gets evicted from Ukraine he can run for Mayor of woke New York :)

The tweet below is an indication of the small things that endear him so much. A true man of the people. He handles his chair to settle for the interview

As a lifelong coward myself, I am in awe of his guts & devotion to Ukraine.

Sadly, the war criminal currently hiding in the Kremlin will see to it that President Z. becomes a martyr.

He will probably be buried somewhere that is unknown, lest Ukrainians make a shrine out of it.

How can you be pro Russian at this point? Unless you mean the Russian people, of course.

You gotta give it to him. He is the man of the hour. I have been very impressed with how Zelensky has grown, matured, and come to dominate the political landscape. It is hard to see that any other Ukrainian politician could have done better in galvanising resistance inside Ukraine, and outside Ukraine. The present crisis with Russia has given him more glogal coverage than ever before. It is hard to dislike him. It is even harder not to have admiration for him. And that is saying something in my case, given that I am more pro Russian in my inclinations. And the man speaks some serious English! There were a few interviews Zelensky masterfully handled in English. Accented but fluent. Heck, if he gets evicted from Ukraine he can run for Mayor of woke New York :)

The tweet below is an indication of the small things that endear him so much. A true man of the people. He handles his chair to settle for the interview

Nifty. We can put all that in his obituary after we let him and the nation he leads die because we're all to damned chickenshit to do 1/100th of what he's doing.

How can you be pro Russian at this point? Unless you mean the Russian people, of course.

It seems to be in my dna. One can say I am a Russophile. But it is not so much the specific Russo/Ukrainian conflict as Russia's own larger objection to its marginalisation by the more powerful Nato

Nifty. We can put all that in his obituary after we let him and the nation he leads die because we're all to damned chickenshit to do 1/100th of what he's doing.

I think he should leave Kiev. He should live to fight another day. As Bob Marley crooned in The Heathen, "Tis he who fights and run away, live to fight another day"

Rise up fallen fighters
Rise and take your stance again
Tis he who fight and run away
Live to fight another day

With the heathen back they 'pon the wall
The heathen back, yeah, 'pon the wall
The heathen back they 'pon the wall

The Heathen, Bob Marley

I think he should leave Kiev. He should live to fight another day. As Bob Marley crooned in The Heathen, "Tis he who fights and run away, live to fight another day"

Rise up fallen fighters

The Heathen, Bob Marley
If he leaves then nothing is accomplished. It will be a matter of days and the world will just focus on something else. In a few weeks there will be no news out of Ukraine and nobody will even remember what Putin did. Everyone will just go back to their daily lives until Trump says something about elections and then that will be billed as the end of the world because EVERYTHING is about Trump no matter how removed from reality it might be.

He's definitely winning the PR war but it would be absolutely astounding if anyone could lose it at this moment in time. I agree though, he is likeable.

It seems to be in my dna. One can say I am a Russophile. But it is not so much the specific Russo/Ukrainian conflict as Russia's own larger objection to its marginalisation by the more powerful Nato

Okay. But Russia had the Warsaw Pact. And unlike NATO, the Warsaw Pact invaded itself.

Russia has nothing to fear from NATO. NATO is purely defensive.

Rise up fallen fighters

The Heathen, Bob Marley
Agreed. If foreign forces threatened POTUS, then Air Force One would be used instead of the White House. It's just a building. The nation needs leadership. Dying doesn't provide that.

Zelenskyy should have some kind of back up plan for leading the country from an alternate location, or multiple locations in case Kiev is overrun. The fall of Kiev should not be the fall of Ukraine. The spirit of the people is to fight on.

No. NATO is the most powerful military power in the history of the world and the Russians have said no to it entering Ukraine since 2008 when it was stated that one day, it and Georgia, will be member states.

To claim it is defensive you need only to ask Iraqis or Afghans but nobody does because they aren't white folk

If he leaves then nothing is accomplished. It will be a matter of days and the world will just focus on something else. In a few weeks there will be no news out of Ukraine and nobody will even remember what Putin did. Everyone will just go back to their daily lives until Trump says something about elections and then that will be billed as the end of the world because EVERYTHING is about Trump no matter how removed from reality it might be.

When I pulled up at the gas station I was reminded strongly of why I am a certified Trumpist. The gas was all north of $5. One may hate Trump all one wants over his eccentricities; but I can say I consider him 100% correct on energy policies.

No. NATO is the most powerful military power in the history of the world and the Russians have said no to it entering Ukraine since 2008 when it was stated that one day, it and Georgia, will be member states.

To claim it is defensive you need only to ask Iraqis or Afghans but nobody does because they aren't white folk
Who has NATO attacked or even threatened?

NATO is purely defensive. And inevitable. Europe is very hard to defend.

Europe has no aggressive inclinations. Only peace. If the whole world joined NATO then peace would reign. And it wouldn't be such a bad thing, either.

When I pulled up at the gas station I was reminded strongly of why I am a certified Trumpist. The gas was all north of $5. One may hate Trump all one wants over his eccentricities; but I can say I consider him 100% correct on energy policies.
Along those lines, I just checked my oil ETF and I've damned near tripled my money...which was fun until I filled the gas tank.

Some things are more important than money. Ideally, money should not rule one's life. It is a tool. Proper budgeting allows room for fluctuations.

Simply changing the way one drives can save 20% and more on fuel costs. We will know gas prices are too high when we stop seeing people waste it by racing around everywhere as if gas, tires and brakes cost nothing.

Expansionism is inconsistent with a defensive posture. An armed man, any armed man is a threat, even if its Mother Theresa. We can all agree that Mother Theresa is completely harmless, but if you see her packing a piece then she is a potential threat. What stops her from flipping the next minute and unloading the piece?

There is a Russian perspective. Taking just the general Ukrainian area; the nearest Nato outpost is on Ukraine's border with Poland; hundreds of miles away from the Russian border with Ukraine. If Ukraine joins Nato then Nato's furthest outpost moves hundreds of miles closer to Russia, and will be sitting just a few miles away from Rostov, a Russian city. How can you say that that doesnt pose a threat?

And what stops the Nato you consider defensive all of a sudden turning hostile on Russia? Of course, not.

Agreed. If foreign forces threatened POTUS, then Air Force One would be used instead of the White House. It's just a building. The nation needs leadership. Dying doesn't provide that.

Zelenskyy should have some kind of back up plan for leading the country from an alternate location, or multiple locations in case Kiev is overrun. The fall of Kiev should not be the fall of Ukraine. The spirit of the people is to fight on.

Agree. In the end his duty as President is to serve Ukraine in the best possible way. And if one argues that Ukraine will still be fighting even after Russia occupies the whole country, then he should be there with the fighters. And he cannot be there with the fighters if he is dead in Kiev. He should die only if it cannot be helped. He should live, because the fight can only be carried on by those who chose to live

The whole thing is academic and not in accord with history at all. Let me say this: throughout history, any time a powerful military power, from afar, contracts an alliance with one's small neighbour, it rings all kinds of alarm bells.

Its right there in Imperialism 101. Ask her Britannic Majesty. Quite accomplished in the fine arts of Imperialism. Britain never had a big army at all. Britain did not marshall a huge army to take down India. She contracted alliances with little kingdoms which had been under the subjugation of other more powerful maharajas. When these maharajas objected, the British then funded the arming of the underdogs to take down the powerful maharajas. That is how little England came to rule the world. Mastery of the fine art of Imperialism.

He's the anti-Putin at the moment. You could say the Winston Churchill of Ukraine and you'd be right.
He seems better. Churchill, though acceptable in his day, would be too elite now to be this lovable.

Zelensky has balls made of adamantium.
Godspeed and Good Luck to him.

What right does Putin have to make such demands?

As a lifelong coward myself, I am in awe of his guts & devotion to Ukraine.

Sadly, the war criminal currently hiding in the Kremlin will see to it that President Z. becomes a martyr.

He will probably be buried somewhere that is unknown, lest Ukrainians make a shrine out of it.
They don't have to make a shrine. You can see his TV series, Servant of the People (2015-) and the movie that constitutes part of season 2 (2017?), with subtitles in English or Russian, on YouTube, see site below.

Or see any of the recent views of him online or tv. In declining an offer to get him out of Kyiv to have a government in exile, he replied, "The fight is here. I need more ammunition, not a ride." He'll be known 200 years ago, when Putin can be a minor joke.

Back
Top Bottom