• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelensky tells German MPs ‘never again’ Holocaust slogan is now meaningless

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

“Every year politicians repeat ‘never again,'” the Ukrainian leader said, referring to annual Holocaust commemorations.

“And now, we see that these words simply mean nothing. A people is being destroyed in Europe,” he said, noting that 108 children had been killed in his country since the start of the Russian offensive.

In his emotional video address before the parliament, Zelensky called on Germany to help destroy a new “wall” Russia was erecting in Europe.

“It’s not a Berlin Wall — it is a wall in central Europe between freedom and bondage and this wall is growing bigger with every bomb” dropped on Ukraine, Zelensky told MPs.

--

Alright, this guy is good! Really Good!

Zelensky is the right guy for the job, the man of the hour, without a doubt. Besides his fearless courage, his command of history, understanding, and rhetoric, is excellent. In this new information age, he is winning the PR War with Putin without a doubt - no contest! And that just may be the critical component that allows him & his countrymen to win the shooting war!

--

Think of how evocative the statements, in my two excerpts above, are to the German government & German People!

"A new Berlin Wall"?

"Never Again"

I can't imagine more evocation & poignancy in a plea for German assistance and arms!

--

Mr. Zelensky is one talented & character laden individual.

A man for the hour, a man for all seasons.

I've become a fan! (y)

Ukraine has been out in front on the information/disinformation/propaganda from the start.

His speechwriters know the audience.

Wont work.... and thank god it wont. No one wants a beefed up German nation again.

--

Zelensky is the right guy for the job, the man of the hour, without a doubt. Besides his fearless courage, his command of history, understanding, and rhetoric, is excellent. In this new information age, he is winning the PR War with Putin without a doubt - no contest! And that just may be the critical component that allows him & his countrymen to win the shooting war!

--

Think of how evocative the statements, in my two excerpts above, are to the German government & German People!

"A new Berlin Wall"?

"Never Again"

I can't imagine more evocation & poignancy in a plea for German assistance and arms!

--

I've become a fan! (y)

Personally, I have about had it with Zelensky .

That’s rich. Ukraine has a Nazi party with elected seats in government and a military wing that is integrated with Ukraine’s armed forces even after committing war crimes in Donbas. And Zelensky wants to lecture Germany on the Holocaust? Lol.

"A new Berlin Wall"?

"Never Again"

If this is going to escalate to direct international military involvement (which hopefully can be avoided as the sanctions start to bite) I suspect that Germany is the country that most needs to step up and take on a leadership role: As the strongest non-nuclear military in Europe, it has the best chance of leading a coalition with the least risk of nuclear escalation.

--

--

"A new Berlin Wall"?

"Never Again"

--

I've become a fan! (y)
Though I love Zelensky, it became worthless the moment the world was content to sit back and watch multiple counts of genocide happen (and continue to happen) in China under the CCP for love of money, among other indiscretions.

If this is going to escalate to direct international military involvement (which hopefully can be avoided as the sanctions start to bite) I suspect that Germany is the country that most needs to step up and take on a leadership role: As the strongest non-nuclear military in Europe, it has the best chance of leading a coalition with the least risk of nuclear escalation.

Agreed.

My, have we come a long way from Unification!

Ukraine has been out in front on the information/disinformation/propaganda from the start.

His speechwriters know the audience.

Well said!

He also has a law degree, to which I only recently became aware.

Wont work.... and thank god it wont. No one wants a beefed up German nation again.

I would suspect you might have better immediate insight into the perceptions of the European 'man in the street'.

But from my perspective, we've come long ways from the fears of Unification.

That’s rich. Ukraine has a Nazi party with elected seats in government and a military wing that is integrated with Ukraine’s armed forces even after committing war crimes in Donbas. And Zelensky wants to lecture Germany on the Holocaust? Lol.

I do not believe Zelensky is a member of, nor a supporter of, the Ukraine Nazi Party.

I do not believe Zelensky is a member of, nor a supporter of, the Ukraine Nazi Party.
He isn’t, but it continues the slow ascent to power under his watch. He’s just indifferent.

Though I love Zelensky, it became worthless the moment the world was content to sit back and watch multiple counts of genocide happen (and continue to happen) in China under the CCP for love of money, among other indiscretions.

I'm surely not holding that on Zelensky any more than any other head of state.

I'm surely not holding that on Zelensky any more than any other head of state.
Oh I certainly don't blame Zelensky. If there's any single politico I fault the most it's Nixon for being so unbelievably stupid as to engage in trade normalization with China in exchange for no real and material concessions under the obviously mistaken belief that capitalism would beget democracy; a blunder of truly historic proportions and a dark mark on his presidency that easily dwarfs Watergate, but many others also share in this.

The point is that the world hasn't particularly cared about honouring that phrase in a long time despite being a fan of Zelensky's rhetoric generally.

Oh I certainly don't blame Zelensky. If there's any single politico I blame the most it's Nixon for being so unbelievably stupid as to engage in trade normalization with China in exchange for no real and material concessions under the obviously mistaken belief that capitalism would beget democracy; a blunder of truly historic proportions, but many others also share in this.

The point is that the world hasn't particularly cared about honouring that phrase in a long time despite being a fan of Zelensky's rhetoric generally.

Fair enough.

But it's easy to look back & criticize.

--

--

"A new Berlin Wall"?

"Never Again"

--

I've become a fan! (y)
the guy is an idiot and is doing all this because someone in the west is assuring him of support when that support is never going to come for either him or his people.

the guy is an idiot and is doing all this because someone in the west is assuring him of support when that support is never going to come for either him or his people.

Quite honestly, he seems to be getting a great deal of support; and I suspect there's much we're not aware of.

IIRC one seat. And one battalion is not a "wing".

--

--

"A new Berlin Wall"?

"Never Again"

--

I've become a fan! (y)

I've mused with friends asking how much cash and "Players to be Named Later" might the Ukrainians demand to make the trade Biden for Zelenskyy.

Another question I have is this:

If the Ukrainians are successful in repelling the Russians in this invasion and the Russians are crippled by the sanctions and so forth, will the Ukrainians take back the gains taken by Putin earlier?

Are the Russian soldiers aware that they are seen by the world as war criminals committing war crimes as they blatantly and deliberately kill unarmed women and children?

Should be interesting how this shakes out. Should also be interesting so see if Putin's fears are fulfilled and we see his corpse hanging upside down from a bridge in Moscow.

Ukraine recovering lands from Russian occupation might lead to actions similar to those taken against collaborators after the removal of Nazis from Vichy France.

Donbas, were Russian insurgents decided they would fight against the Ukrainian government. Where Amnest Inernational, the UN, UNICEF, and Doctors without borders all were upset at the humanitarian crisis the insurgents were delivering. That one?

I have noticed he really looks for customized messages. They could be awkward, but are going over well.

For the UK, he almost plagiarized Churchill's most famous WWII speech, changing the locations. For the US, he appealed to two aerial attacks that would resonate, Pearl Harbor and 9/11, in asking for protection for Aeriial attacks. German, he discussed a wall. Talking to Russian soldiers, he appealed to their recognition of Ukraine as the 'father of their culture'. Not bad for wartime improvisations.

--

--

"A new Berlin Wall"?

"Never Again"

--

I've become a fan! (y)

.......are you kidding me?

Ukraine literally has a state sponsored Neo Nazi regiment, and yet somehow they think they can draw(laughably wrong) equivalencies to the Holocaust?

I would suspect you might have better immediate insight into the perceptions of the European 'man in the street'.

But from my perspective, we've come long ways from the fears of Unification.

No we have come long ways in Germany. AfD in Germany is a clear sign that we should never have a "strong Germany" militarily. When leaders of AfD advocate shooting refugees at the border..

And in here lies the problem. I like Zelensky, but he is more a pawn in a big corrupt system, than an actual leader. He is an actor after all and was a joke candidate that got elected... Is he the right man for the job now? Maybe.... so far he has impressed me.

People forget that Ukraine has its own oligarchs and they have just as much influence as in Russia. Add in the neo Nazi bits (which sadly are very real), and you have pretty much the most corrupt country in Europe... and that is saying a lot considering countries in the Balkans.

The wests backing of Ukraine since the 2004 revolution has always felt very dirty. The country has gone from one corrupt government to the next and there was next to no outrage when the new revolutionary government started to push for limiting the rights of ethnic Russians in Ukraine. This ultimately lead to the Ukrainian Russian population to revolt against Kiev and the situation we have today.

The west has to at some point deal with the Neo nazi scum in Ukraine and at home and they are frankly a much bigger threat than the Russians.

Back
Top Bottom