• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelensky Speech Today

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
For anyone that may have missed it, here is Zelensky's speech today. In this video (below), the actual speech starts at the 16:00 minute mark. So start there.

Near the end of the speech, Zelensky showed a heartbreaking video showing what the cities in Ukraine were before and what they are now. In addition, he showed the deaths to innocents (babies, women and elderly people) that Putin has caused.

It was an impassioned and well done speech in which he asked Biden to not only be the leader of the United States but be the leader of Peace in the world.

It is a video for history!

Zelensky is excellent at what he's doing. Where I have some concern with his choices is that he seems to be showing little respect for the issue of escalation threatening nuclear war, and to not be respecting the Biden administration's position. Instead, every chance he gets, he uses the great goodwill he has to ask for things the US has said it can't do, instead of focusing on where there's agreement.

Today's speech poses some threat of beginning to create domestic political divisions. Republicans have mostly resisted temptations to take advantage of the situation for partisan attacks on Biden, but Zelensky's actions push not only them to do so, but increase strains with some Democrats and the administration. It seems rather aggressive against the administration. But I expect more will be done that can be, Biden is announcing more today.

he seems to be showing little respect for the issue of escalation threatening nuclear war

Which is understandable in his situation but we in NATO must not be moved by the emotion. Our course has been text book perfect. Measured, predictable and tough as nails. We should not let the emotion of the situation change this.

For anyone that may have missed it, here is Zelensky's speech today. In this video (below), the actual speech starts at the 16:00 minute mark. So start there.

Near the end of the speech, Zelensky showed a heartbreaking video showing what the cities in Ukraine were before and what they are now. In addition, he showed the deaths to innocents (babies, women and elderly people) that Putin has caused.

It was an impassioned and well done speech in which he asked Biden to not only be the leader of the United States but be the leader of Peace in the world.

It is a video for history!

Zelensky is showing leadership and strength. He's fighting to save his people and his nation. Unfortunately he has to beg Joe Biden who is Putin's puppet.

Which is understandable in his situation but we in NATO must not be moved by the emotion. Our course has been text book perfect. Measured, predictable and tough as nails. We should not let the emotion of the situation change this.
So far the administration has shown itself to be pretty even-keeled, regardless of the freak out of the day by the press or the social media personalities masquerading as members of Congress.

Zelensky has stated in the past that Russia is shelling and using cruise missiles to bomb his country. Having NATO put jets in the air is not going to close the air space above his country. Next to impossible to stop an incoming shell from a cannon. Cruise missiles that hug the ground would also be very difficult to take out with ground to air defenses.

I feel for Ukraine. I am not sure what the answer is to stop Putin without escalating the war. Sanctions are being implemented. Aid is being given to Ukraine. No matter what Biden does I am sure there will be members of Congress who will complain.

Zelensky is showing leadership and strength. He's fighting to save his people and his nation. Unfortunately he has to beg Joe Biden who is Putin's puppet.
Biden is Putin's puppet? You can never stop the biased debasing can you?

The reality is that Trump "was" (and still is) Putin's puppet (proven to be true) and you never once mentioned it because you idolize Trump and are a cult member. You have totally lost my respect. Your nick is an insult to common sense.

Zelensky is excellent at what he's doing. Where I have some concern with his choices is that he seems to be showing little respect for the issue of escalation threatening nuclear war, and to not be respecting the Biden administration's position. Instead, every chance he gets, he uses the great goodwill he has to ask for things the US has said it can't do, instead of focusing on where there's agreement.

Today's speech poses some threat of beginning to create domestic political divisions. Republicans have mostly resisted temptations to take advantage of the situation for partisan attacks on Biden, but Zelensky's actions push not only them to do so, but increase strains with some Democrats and the administration. It seems rather aggressive against the administration. But I expect more will be done that can be, Biden is announcing more today.

Zelensky is fighting for his country and its future life. No one with an ounce of compassion is going to make respect for Biden's temporizing more important than their own existence. Biden's responsibility is not follow, hesitate, and road block. IT's to be a leader of the free world, not to tell us a laundry list of what he can't do.

So hell yes, Zelensky got his opportunity to tell Congress and, as has been usual in this crisis, Congress has had to be our leader. But for Congress, Biden would have kept importing Russian oil, and he has still failed to sanction all the politicians of Russia. He has failed to supply most conventional weapons.

Look, folks who believe Biden is a 'good guy' so let's not push him to hard have their own freaking partisan priorities screwed up. A bipartisan majority in both houses of Congress believe Biden is NOT doing what could be done. Biden's personal weaknesses and reputation for poor (and now impaired) judgement in foreign policy is not acceptable...not if you want Ukraine to have the strongest possible position should it come to a negotiated agreement.

So the one guy causing these divisions is Joe Biden. He won't listen. He won't budge. His "thinking" remains stuck on red herrings and false premises over no fly zones.

I don't feel sorry for Biden. I feel sorry for people killed standing in line for bread. I feel sorry for children losing body parts, parents, or their life. I feel sorry for every human being maimed or slaughtered by Russians in Ukraine.

Everyone needs to badger Biden till he is willing to move.

I stand with Ukraine, not Biden or Trump.

Zelensky is fighting for his country and its future life. No one with an ounce of comparison is going to make respect for Biden's temporizing more important than their own existence. Biden's responsibility is not follow, hesitate, and road block. IT's to be a leader of the free world, not to tell us a laundry list of what he can't do.
Biden is leading the free world, which is currently destroying the Russian economy and arming the Ukrainians.

Biden is leading the free world, which is currently destroying the Russian economy and arming the Ukrainians.

If that is "leadership" then Elizabeth Holmes is the greatest executive ever.

Zelensky is fighting for his country and its future life. No one with an ounce of compassion is going to make respect for Biden's temporizing more important than their own existence. Biden's responsibility is not follow, hesitate, and road block. IT's to be a leader of the free world, not to tell us a laundry list of what he can't do.

So hell yes, Zelensky got his opportunity to tell Congress and, as has been usual in this crisis, Congress has had to be our leader. But for Congress, Biden would have kept importing Russian oil, and he has still failed to sanction all the politicians of Russia. He has failed to supply most conventional weapons.

Look, folks who believe Biden is a 'good guy' so let's not push him to hard have their own freaking partisan priorities screwed up. A bipartisan majority in both houses of Congress believe Biden is NOT doing what could be done. Biden's personal weaknesses and reputation for poor (and now impaired) judgement in foreign policy is not acceptable...not if you want Ukraine to have the strongest possible position should it come to a negotiated agreement.

So the one guy causing these divisions is Joe Biden. He won't listen. He won't budge. His "thinking" remains stuck on red herrings and false premises over no fly zones.

I don't feel sorry for Biden. I feel sorry for people killed standing in line for bread. I feel sorry for children losing body parts, parents, or their life. I feel sorry for every human being maimed or slaughtered by Russians in Ukraine.

Everyone needs to badger Biden till he is willing to move.

I stand with Ukraine, not Biden or Trump.
I disagree with you totally.

I think Biden is doing 99% of what he can do. If you want to criticize the other 1% that is your priority but Biden's hands are tied in many ways. He cannot do everything he wants. He still depends on a lot of people that has "some" say in what can be done. That is politics and has been for hundreds of years. There has not been one single president ever that could do all he wanted or all that was at his disposal to do.

I personally think that Biden has actually done more that many expected him to do (certainly more than I expected). I respect him more now than before. He was never my choice but I do have to give him credit on this occasion.

I told you to watch his eyes .
Out of his mind .
Propaganda junk .

Good Deep State PR but too late now .

i'll never understand why some posts are so totally ridiculous

it must be a psychosomatic way to say to the good people who vote for Joe, "I hate you."

really shallow posting, very self revealing

Last edited:
Zelensky's speech today was fantastic, as has been many others he has given to Canada or UK and many others over the past weeks.

Our issue is whom he is giving these speeches to are far more interested in themselves and their political positions wherever they are than anything Zelensky is talking about. Just look at the posts in this thread so far.

That propaganda video he played was pathetic.

Yes. We must firmly and emotionlessly let as many Ukrainians die as is necessary to bring about a warm, fuzzy feeling that we did as little as possible to prevent a crazed dictator from taking over a foreign nation.

Yes. We must firmly and emotionlessly let as many Ukrainians die as is necessary to bring about a warm, fuzzy feeling that we did as little as possible to prevent a crazed dictator from taking over a foreign nation.

You undisciplined, unreasoned approach could end humanity. But, that is just how some folks are. Simple, primal. Only react.

I don't think Biden is Putin's puppet. Neither was Trump. I do wish we had a more competent person as president.
Did you know one Russian boomer submarine could destroy most of the major cities on our East coast?

I disagree with you totally.

Then you disagree in ignorance.

Politico: https://www.politico.com/newsletter...happening-between-biden-and-congress-00016935

PRESSURE POLITICS — Something quite striking has happened in Washington since Russia invaded Ukraine. Congress — which typically takes a back seat on foreign policy matters — has repeatedly driven the White House beyond its comfort zone with bipartisan demands for more assertive policies.

It started with calls for tougher sanctions, then escalated to an appeal for a larger military and humanitarian assistance package. Members of both parties then clamored for a U.S. ban on Russian oil, which the White House saw as politically risky given the effect on gas prices at home. And they insisted that the U.S. end permanent normal trade relations with Russia.

The tactics have worked. And this week, lawmakers will be at it again — this time nudging the Biden administration to go further than it wants in facilitating the transfer of fighter jets from Poland to Ukraine.

In other words, Biden has not been doing what he could do, until pressured by Congress. Usually Presidents lead, Congress is asked to follow. In this case, we have a "leader" that is two steps behind Putin, and who cripples his own side by his fear of offending Putin.
I think Biden is doing 99% of what he can do. If you want to criticize the other 1% that is your priority but Biden's hands are tied in many ways. He cannot do everything he wants. He still depends on a lot of people that has "some" say in what can be done. That is politics and has been for hundreds of years. There has not been one single president ever that could do all he wanted or all that was at his disposal to do.

I personally think that Biden has actually done more that many expected him to do (certainly more than I expected). I respect him more now than before. He was never my choice but I do have to give him credit on this occasion.

Biden hasn't done more than 60% of what he could do, Congress knows that. He ties his own hands, then claims "its all I can do". And to the degree its politics, its been Biden's own fear of the polls should gas prices increase, rather than Ukraine's plight, that moves him.

I had growing respect for Biden until he proved himself a complete mediocrity in his SOTU speech. Completely failed to rise to the occasion. He had an opportunity to seize an FDR moment, to make the whole speech about Ukraine, to promise the arsenal of democracy would flow, that short of boots on the ground (or in the air) every other measure would be taken.

He didn't and he hasn't.

You undisciplined, unreasoned approach could end humanity. But, that is just how some folks are. Simple, primal. Only react.
Putin is already rather obviously unhinged. What makes you think you're at less risk now than if we actively support humanitarian and supply efforts from inside Ukraine?

Putin is already rather obviously unhinged. What makes you think you're at less risk now than if we actively support humanitarian and supply efforts from inside Ukraine?

Education.

Then you disagree in ignorance.

Politico: https://www.politico.com/newsletter...happening-between-biden-and-congress-00016935

PRESSURE POLITICS — Something quite striking has happened in Washington since Russia invaded Ukraine. Congress — which typically takes a back seat on foreign policy matters — has repeatedly driven the White House beyond its comfort zone with bipartisan demands for more assertive policies.

It started with calls for tougher sanctions, then escalated to an appeal for a larger military and humanitarian assistance package. Members of both parties then clamored for a U.S. ban on Russian oil, which the White House saw as politically risky given the effect on gas prices at home. And they insisted that the U.S. end permanent normal trade relations with Russia.

The tactics have worked. And this week, lawmakers will be at it again — this time nudging the Biden administration to go further than it wants in facilitating the transfer of fighter jets from Poland to Ukraine.

In other words, Biden has not been doing what he could do, until pressured by Congress. Usually Presidents lead, Congress is asked to follow. In this case, we have a "leader" that is two steps behind Putin, and who cripples his own side by his fear of offending Putin.

Biden hasn't done more than 60% of what he could do, Congress knows that. He ties his own hands, then claims "its all I can do". And to the degree its politics, its been Biden's own fear of the polls should gas prices increase, rather than Ukraine's plight, that moves him.

I had growing respect for Biden until he proved himself a complete mediocrity in his SOTU speech. Completely failed to rise to the occasion. He had an opportunity to seize an FDR moment, to make the whole speech about Ukraine, to promise the arsenal of democracy would flow, that short of boots on the ground (or in the air) every other measure would be taken.

He didn't and he hasn't.
Based in large part to what I observed of his decisions in the withdrawal and aftermath in Afghanistan I very much believe that Biden, due in large part to what he perceives prompted his son to take his own life, has chosen to avoid conflict to the point that he now runs from the very prospect of conflict.

Back
Top Bottom