• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelensky Speech Today

I am glad you asked. I will "gladly" answer your questions.

Let me begin by asking you a simple question. You are aware that Russia has 6000 nuclear warheads that if used against the United States, that somewhere between 50 and 70% of Americans would die, aren't you?

You also are aware that Putin's invasion of Ukraine is a stupidity beyond reason for Putin, aren't you?

Having said that, I believe that Biden acted as any intelligent (using the brain and not the balls) person would do, knowing that he is facing a power that could wipe most of the U.S. off the face of the earth and facing a person that is crazy and not using common sense.

In cases like this, you start as slowly (but surely) as you can. You do not want to be the cause of triggering a madman into doing something crazy.

In addition, this is not just Biden making decisions. This is 40 nations (NATO) making decisions in unity. Without them, the sanctions would not work at all.

Biden has followed the guidelines that are used with dealing with powerful crazy people (click on link).

He has done most everything that was in his power to do, keeping in mind that he is not the only one deciding (there are 40 other nations involved). He has gotten approval and acceptance of the the sanctions from all involved and that is never an easy (or fast or guaranteed) thing to do.

I do not have anything in my mind that he could have done. I think he has done what he could. I actually think he has done more that I thought he could do. I approve 99% of what he has done.

It is you that doesn't seem to know what he has not done that he could have done. If you do not have an answer, perhaps you should not open your mouth and say that he could have done more. You still have not given me an answer to my question.

As far as Ukraine is concerned, It is human tragedy and a travesty of immense proportions. Nonetheless, there are times when trying to prevent a travesty what you get is a bigger catastrophe and that is something that cannot be allowed to happen if it can be prevented. You do not save a country by sacrificing your own country to a bigger amount of deaths (from nuclear weapons).

Yes, we are stronger than Putin and in the end, we would be the victors but at a cost that would make Ukraine seem to be child's play.

You need to see the whole picture and not approach the problem with blinders.
I don't think it tenable to abstain or retreat whenever Putin (or anyone) threatens using nuclear weapons. If so, such an individual would be capable of taking over the world by just threatening to use nuclear weapons. Because if the U.S. abstains or retreats at such a threat - the free world's options are diminished greatly.

That madman is already doing something crazy. He's literally slaughtering the country of Ukraine and its people, as we converse. Surely you understand this is underway already and right now.

NATO consists of 30 countries.

What is going on in Ukraine and what the rest of the world is allowing to happen in Ukraine is not child's play. Why would any madman not continue the same behavior that was allowed to continue before?

In no way has the U.S. or NATO been a victor since February 24th! The U.S. has shown nothing more than utter weakness - and the slaughter continues!

I guess the question now is...

At what point do we intervene with troops, no fly zone, etc...? Is it if a NATO country is attacked? Is it if we see children being killed (as is the possibility looking at the report of children possibly dead inside a bomb shelter at a theater that was shelled)? Is it if our interests are challenged? Is there no point that we intervene?

Nothing in literature....fine but a think I will go with Biden and the intelligence rather than your erudite musings.
If you knew the definition of "erudite" you would realize that what you just wrote says volumes about your um, cranial endowments.

At what point do we intervene with troops, no fly zone, etc...? Is it if a NATO country is attacked? Is it if we see children being killed (as is the possibility looking at the report of children possibly dead inside a bomb shelter at a theater that was shelled)? Is it if our interests are challenged? Is there no point that we intervene?
NATO yes, children no, interests depends on the situation. Of course that's about nuclear powers; we intervene much more easily against non-nuclear powers, see Iraq and Afghanistan. Though those are situational and we've tended to have rather corrupt policies. And we've used our power to force allies to help.

NATO yes, children no, interests depends on the situation. You ask if there's no point we intervene after we just spent 20 years in Afghanistan?
Yes, we spent 20 years in Afghanistan. Afghanistan has nothing to do with Ukraine.

I agree that we have to watch for the beginning of World War III, however, we are watching a country whose civilian population are being killed, and media people are being attacked and killed. What does that say about us as a people that we went into Afghanistan and stayed there for 20 years to try and help that population, yet we won't do a thing to help Ukraine other than sanctions that so far have done jack shit? Our reputation in the world isn't the greatest as it is. Now we can't help a country like Ukraine the same way we helped a country like Kuwait cause of oil? Again, I completely understand that we have to worry about World War III, but so far what we have done has been worth as much as a @Mycroft dismissal.

Zelenskyy is just a hyped up, particularly inept and corrupt, Soros Stooge!

Picking Zelenskyy to lead an economically important small nation, is about like placing Soros Funded BLM Rioters as the Law Enforcement officers of an American City.... said city will be destroyed shortly thereafter.

Putin is NOT a good guy, but Zelenskyy makes him look like a saint!

There are NO good guys in this conflict in the Ukraine, particularly not among the Democrats who are meddling and corrupting the Ukraine.

-

Yes, we spent 20 years in Afghanistan. Afghanistan has nothing to do with Ukraine.

It has to do with your question.

I agree that we have to watch for the beginning of World War III, however, we are watching a country whose civilian population are being killed, and media people are being attacked and killed. What does that say about us as a people that we went into Afghanistan and stayed there for 20 years to try and help that population, yet we won't do a thing to help Ukraine other than sanctions that so far have done jack shit?

It says that some of understand the difference between nuclear war and conventional war while others promote risking it with the word "however". It's a horrible situation to have to watch the murder, but then why don't you lift a finger to ban nuclear weapons? That's the danger of having them. If people would rather have nuclear war than watch this mass murder, guess what happens?

Soros is more than rich enough, and brings corruption and destruction to everything he touches.

There is no reason for American Soldiers to give their lives so that Soros can get more ill-gotten gains.

-

For anyone that may have missed it, here is Zelensky's speech today. In this video (below), the actual speech starts at the 16:00 minute mark. So start there.

Near the end of the speech, Zelensky showed a heartbreaking video showing what the cities in Ukraine were before and what they are now. In addition, he showed the deaths to innocents (babies, women and elderly people) that Putin has caused.

It was an impassioned and well done speech in which he asked Biden to not only be the leader of the United States but be the leader of Peace in the world.

It is a video for history!

I like Z

But he’s lucky the Russians didn’t put a cruise missile right through his location. It’s an elementary capability.

Yes. We must firmly and emotionlessly let as many Ukrainians die as is necessary to bring about a warm, fuzzy feeling that we did as little as possible to prevent a crazed dictator from taking over a foreign nation.
Your ilk has been working with that crazed dictator since trump took over your party.

Just because Putin is a bad guy, doesn't mean that Zelenskyy is a good guy.

If fact, if you dig deeper, you'll find that Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, Soros and Klaus Schwab are all really bad guys too.

Ukraine is not our fight, we should stay out of it.

-

I don't know how those Republican legislators who applauded Zelensky but let Trump get away with trying to extort him can look in the mirror.

Not everything is about race. Not everything is about Trump.

In the case of the Ukraine, American corruption is about Hunter Biden and 'The Big Guy', taking 10s of Millions in bribes from Ukraine.

In the case of the Ukraine, American Corruption is about Soros and Klaus Schwab and the CIA putting Zelenskyy into office.

-

Joni Ernst said Zelensky's speech inspired her to want to put on her uniform again and go ver there and fight. But she neglected to say which side she would fight for.

Not everything is about race. Not everything is about Trump.

In the case of the Ukraine, American corruption is about Hunter Biden and 'The Big Guy', taking 10s of Millions in bribes from Ukraine.

In the case of the Ukraine, American Corruption is about Soros and Klaus Schwab and the CIA putting Zelenskyy into office.

-

Let's not forget the infamous Ukraine server.

I don't think it tenable to abstain or retreat whenever Putin (or anyone) threatens using nuclear weapons. If so, such an individual would be capable of taking over the world by just threatening to use nuclear weapons. Because if the U.S. abstains or retreats at such a threat - the free world's options are diminished greatly.

That madman is already doing something crazy. He's literally slaughtering the country of Ukraine and its people, as we converse. Surely you understand this is underway already and right now.

NATO consists of 30 countries.

What is going on in Ukraine and what the rest of the world is allowing to happen in Ukraine is not child's play. Why would any madman not continue the same behavior that was allowed to continue before?

In no way has the U.S. or NATO been a victor since February 24th! The U.S. has shown nothing more than utter weakness - and the slaughter continues!
Unfortunately, nuclear weapons "do exist" and the damage they can do is catastrophic. That is why going forward has to be slow and carefully thought out. It is not about retreating because nuclear weapons are "threatened" to be used but it is about not causing them to be used. We need to go forward meeting the threat but not causing it to happen.

This is what Biden has been doing in an intelligent way. Meet but don't generate an upgrade to the war.

Unfortunately, nuclear weapons "do exist" and the damage they can do is catastrophic. That is why going forward has to be slow and carefully thought out. It is not about retreating because nuclear weapons are "threatened" to be used but it is about not causing them to be used. We need to go forward meeting the threat but not causing it to happen.

This is what Biden has been doing in an intelligent way. Meet but don't generate an upgrade to the war.
Okay. We certainly don't need to agree about how it's going or how it's gone.

I don't remember how you viewed Afghanistan but a couple here on DP considered it a success. I won't be surprised if there are also a couple viewing the current Ukraine situation as a success for the U.S. or for the west. Whew!

Dang, perspectives can and do vary.

Okay. We certainly don't need to agree about how it's going or how it's gone.

I don't remember how you viewed Afghanistan but a couple here on DP considered it a success. I won't be surprised if there are also a couple viewing the current Ukraine situation as a success for the U.S. or for the west. Whew!

Dang, perspectives can and do vary.
Success or failure cannot be measured until it is all over. Afghanistan was considered a success, simply because we "finally" got out of an expensive and useless war. Could it have been done better? Probably, but the bottom line is that we finally got out. The three previous presidents had not been able to do it.

In my personal opinion, this situation has been handled as well as it could be handled. Whether success will be the end result or not, it is too soon to tell. There is no plan available that can guarantee success, meaning that everyone (except Putin) is doing things in the most intelligent manner but without a proven game plan. As such, it is tough to rate the actions.

Now we can't help a country like Ukraine the same way we helped a country like Kuwait cause of oil?
Again, it was five months before Iraq faced any international military response to the invasion of Kuwait, despite being a non-nuclear power which was instantly and unanimously condemned by the UN Security Council for its actions. Russia has a vast nuclear arsenal, UN veto and varying levels of support or non-condemnation from some powerful key countries; expecting that it would escalate to a point of international military response faster than (or even as fast as) it did for Kuwait would seem wildly optimistic.

Presumably Ukraine's leaders knew that going in, so their brave decision to fight against the odds was largely a decision to fight alone for months at least. Hence my question in another thread What if Ukraine surrendered and resisted nonviolently? Kuwait seems to have offered only token resistance against Iraq's overwhelming military force; Kuwait's military was largely stood down with many members on leave at the time of the invasion despite the troop build-up and sabre-rattling over the month beforehand. Maybe they knew that violent resistance would be doomed to failure and face much greater death and destruction.

Again, it was five months before Iraq faced any international military response to the invasion of Kuwait, despite being a non-nuclear power which was instantly and unanimously condemned by the UN Security Council for its actions. Russia has a vast nuclear arsenal, UN veto and varying levels of support or non-condemnation from some powerful key countries; expecting that it would escalate to a point of international military response faster than (or even as fast as) it did for Kuwait would seem wildly optimistic.

Presumably Ukraine's leaders knew that going in, so their brave decision to fight against the odds was largely a decision to fight alone for months at least. Hence my question in another thread What if Ukraine surrendered and resisted nonviolently? Kuwait seems to have offered only token resistance against Iraq's overwhelming military force; Kuwait's military was largely stood down with many members on leave at the time of the invasion despite the troop build-up and sabre-rattling over the month beforehand. Maybe they knew that violent resistance would be doomed to failure and face much greater death and destruction.
I don't even know why you posted this question about "what if Ukraine surrendered and resisted non-violently". The killing on purpose of children, women, and older people means that they are not just trying to take Ukraine over but do not care one iota about the well-being of its people.............even after the war is over. What good is it to live in a country where your life is disposable-on-a-whim. What would the Ukranians win by surrendering. Would their lives be safe? The answer is "no, they wouldn't".

There is no other choice but to resist and resist violently.

Joni Ernst said Zelensky's speech inspired her to want to put on her uniform again and go ver there and fight. But she neglected to say which side she would fight for.
But she voted to acquit the person who withheld military aid from Ukraine to try to extort a lie from the leader for his own benefit. Ernst is scum.

I don't know how those Republican legislators who applauded Zelendky but let Trump get away with trying to extort him can look in the mirror.

Zelenskyy is just a hyped up, particularly inept and corrupt, Soros Stooge!
Picking Zelenskyy to lead an economically important small nation, is about like placing Soros Funded BLM Rioters as the Law Enforcement officers of an American City.... said city will be destroyed shortly thereafter.
Putin is NOT a good guy, but Zelenskyy makes him look like a saint!
There are NO good guys in this conflict in the Ukraine, particularly not among the Democrats who are meddling and corrupting the Ukraine.
1649607307653.png

Back
Top Bottom