• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelensky Speech Today

What do you suggest he do?
Biden didn't elaborate on what future items he was talking about, as still to use going forth. And he didn't take any questions - including the one a reporter got out about the MIGs (and how congress wants those to get to Ukraine).
But it seems to me Ukraine is in horrible and nearly unbelievable destruction mode right now. Many (including me) complained wondering what Biden was waiting for in starting sanctions before the invasion - especially as the administration was telling us with absolute certainty that intelligence told them the invasion was going to/certain to happen. But knowing that, they simply let the invasion begin without even a single sanction. Then when it started, they took slow baby steps. Now, Ukraine is unrecognizable in its destruction and Biden is still talking about future steps??????
Maybe it was in the really long thread about Ukraine, but I remember weeks ago, a poster wondering if Biden was just basically going to watch Ukraine die a slow and painful death. It seems that is exactly what's happened and is still happening.
What has been done hasn't worked. It was around 2/24 that a reporter questioned Biden about if the sanctions would work and Biden answered to check back in a month. I think everyone was shocked with that answer - knowing that Ukraine didn't have anywhere near a month. Now we know the horrible reality of 3/4 of that month Biden mentioned!

What do you suggest he do?
I understand why Biden is taking the steps he is increments. It is important for Putin to think there are more hardship to come. Throwing stones and criticizing is easy from our living room watching all the " experts" on cable news give us our talking points. I can't imagine the weight on ones shoulder as they contemplate what might very well result in nuclear warfare.

Yes, lets just throw Nato forces into the mix......what could possibly go wrong? This is not a political pi$$ing match!

Just today out here in the real world I voiced my concern that too much of our help is out in public.
We need to leave room for plausible deniability for our future actions.
This is important both strategically and in the realm of public consiption... all over the world. RUSSIA, China...

Yeah, I've noticed this myself, and what a fiasco with Blinken and the Poles!

Biden didn't elaborate on what future items he was talking about, as still to use going forth. And he didn't take any questions - including the one a reporter got out about the MIGs (and how congress wants those to get to Ukraine).
But it seems to me Ukraine is in horrible and nearly unbelievable destruction mode right now. Many (including me) complained wondering what Biden was waiting for in starting sanctions before the invasion - especially as the administration was telling us with absolute certainty that intelligence told them the invasion was going to/certain to happen. But knowing that, they simply let the invasion begin without even a single sanction. Then when it started, they took slow baby steps. Now, Ukraine is unrecognizable in its destruction and Biden is still talking about future steps??????
Maybe it was in the really long thread about Ukraine, but I remember weeks ago, a poster wondering if Biden was just basically going to watch Ukraine die a slow and painful death. It seems that is exactly what's happened and is still happening.
What has been done hasn't worked. It was around 2/24 that a reporter questioned Biden about if the sanctions would work and Biden answered to check back in a month. I think everyone was shocked with that answer - knowing that Ukraine didn't have anywhere near a month. Now we know the horrible reality of 3/4 of that month Biden mentioned!
You did not answer the question. You danced around what he should have done and danced around when he did something but your post clearly stated "What is Biden waiting for?", suggesting there is something you feel he should be doing now. I want to know what that "something he should do now" is!

I agree that Biden was far too sclerotic at the beginning of all of this, but leaving aside whether one believes Biden is a "good guy" much less a "good President," what from a policy perspective is needed here? Because I do not find Biden's actions to be unreasonable or favorable to Russia. They have been quite punishing and have cost Russia a massive amount of both its blood and treasure in only three weeks of fighting. I am given to understand that Russia is quickly on its way to a sovereign default which will truly wreck its economy and quite possibly lead to mass unemployment and decades-long penury for an already-struggling economy.

Keeping in mind that our nation and its allies are dealing with a wounded nuclear power, what should be done in order to further constrain and punish Russia without escalating to open war with NATO and a nuclear exchange?

I have believed, from the outset, that Biden should have imposed the maximum amount of sanctions feasible. Not a few days go by and one hears of more 'escalated' sanctions being considered. My question has been, why has Biden not done this from the outset?

As I have also said, there is no reason that any Russian national should benefit by living in the West, using its education system and western lifestyle, while the war is on. Only those willing to renounce their citizenship to Russia, or apply for refugee status, should be allowed to stay.

There has been no reason not to hold the politicians who support Putin also accountable, which is likely a great majority of the DUMA. They too should be (and been) sanctioned.

Most importantly, Biden taking the moment to rally the world, or exploit America's willingness to be the arsenal of democracy. Just as in all the proxy wars of the cold war, there has been every opportunity to do more than small arms, ammunition, and hand held weapons. There has been every reason to act as Russia has acted; equivalency. That means to train Ukrainians on western weapons systems, and send systems to Ukraine.

Eight years ago Russia started doing this in Ukraine, supplying tanks, anti-aircraft batteries, artillery, drones, etc. to Ukraine's separatists (also trained by Russia). How is it that our side does not have the equal right and courage to do the same?

Today Biden barely relented, saying that some drones (unspecified) will be provided and the U.S. will help "acquire additional longer range and aircraft systems and the munitions for those systems."

Hopefully those words have meaning, but at this point action speaks a whole lot louder than words. And it is way overdue that Biden issue his own redlines, on chemical weapons, on humanitarian crisis, on food convoys or red cross aircraft into surrounded cities.

I shook my head today when Biden was speaking and talking about how there is more that can be done going forth (even with sanctions). As I watch Ukraine fall into nearly total rubble and see dead bodies everywhere, I can't help but wonder WTH Biden is talking about. With Ukraine in such a seriously advanced state of destruction already, what is he waiting for? I can't help but wonder if he's waiting for Ukraine's total destruction at which point Biden will just say - it's too late now.

My thoughts exactly. If more can be done, why wasn't it done 3 weeks ago? Biden apparently has a self-imposed limit that is only moved by shaming and public pressure. THIS IS ABSURD.

I have believed, from the outset, that Biden should have imposed the maximum amount of sanctions feasible. Not a few days go by and one hears of more 'escalated' sanctions being considered. My question has been, why has Biden not done this from the outset?

As I have also said, there is no reason that any Russian national should benefit by living in the West, using its education system and western lifestyle, while the war is on. Only those willing to renounce their citizenship to Russia, or apply for refugee status, should be allowed to stay.

There has been no reason not to hold the politicians who support Putin also accountable, which is likely a great majority of the DUMA. They too should be (and been) sanctioned.

Most importantly, Biden taking the moment to rally the world, or exploit America's willingness to be the arsenal of democracy. Just as in all the proxy wars of the cold war, there has been every opportunity to do more than small arms, ammunition, and hand held weapons. There has been every reason to act as Russia has acted; equivalency. That means to train Ukrainians on western weapons systems, and send systems to Ukraine.

Eight years ago Russia started doing this in Ukraine, supplying tanks, anti-aircraft batteries, artillery, drones, etc. to Ukraine's separatists (also trained by Russia). How is it that our side does not have the equal right and courage to do the same?

Today Biden barely relented, saying that some drones (unspecified) will be provided and the U.S. will help "acquire additional longer range and aircraft systems and the munitions for those systems."

Hopefully those words have meaning, but at this point action speaks a whole lot louder than words. And it is way overdue that Biden issue his own redlines, on chemical weapons, on humanitarian crisis, on food convoys or red cross aircraft into surrounded cities.
You know. Monday morning quarterbacking is easy to do but then acting rash before the act has occurred is even more criticizable.

When dealing with a madman, it is better to be careful than being rash. I do not agree with you that things should have been done sooner. Putin would have not backed off anyhow and it might have made him be even madder and more actionable, not only against Ukraine but again everyone else.

Use your common sense please.

My thoughts exactly. If more can be done, why wasn't it done 3 weeks ago? Biden apparently has a self-imposed limit that is only moved by shaming and public pressure. THIS IS ABSURD.
Wow, you really don't know how crazy madmen act when pushed without a tangible reason, do you?

If Biden had done what you suggest and it would have caused WW3, would you be criticizing him? Of course you would. There is nothing you won't criticize about Biden, is there?

"Better safe than sorry", ever hear that expression?

"Monday Morning quarterbacking is always correct", ever hear that expression?

For anyone that may have missed it, here is Zelensky's speech today. In this video (below), the actual speech starts at the 16:00 minute mark. So start there.

Near the end of the speech, Zelensky showed a heartbreaking video showing what the cities in Ukraine were before and what they are now. In addition, he showed the deaths to innocents (babies, women and elderly people) that Putin has caused.

It was an impassioned and well done speech in which he asked Biden to not only be the leader of the United States but be the leader of Peace in the world.

It is a video for history!

He is not wearing a suit.

I know the Biden haters are resistant to giving Biden and credit for his leadership and as a result continue to ignore one very important thing. For the most part Biden has not moved without having the EU and NATO onside. I think it is critical that at no point this is seen as the US against Russia. It must be the allies working in lockstep against Russia and for the most part Biden has accomplished that brilliantly.

I know the Biden haters are resistant to giving Biden and credit for his leadership and as a result continue to ignore one very important thing. For the most part Biden has not moved without having the EU and NATO onside. I think it is critical that at no point this is seen as the US against Russia. It must be the allies working in lockstep against Russia and for the most part Biden has accomplished that brilliantly.
Putin's ultimate goal is the end of NATO. Biden is doing an amazing job leading NATO to be stronger than ever.

So far the administration has shown itself to be pretty even-keeled, regardless of the freak out of the day by the press or the social media personalities masquerading as members of Congress.
Even keeled is code for weak kneed? There is so much more we can do. Better weapons, fighters, anti missile batteries. There is so much more we should have done long before Putin actually invaded. Our response was as if Putin really did fear Joe Biden and obviously that's not true and only a fool thought that. Only a real show of force was going to deter Putin and Biden didn't want to escalate, where did that get us or Ukraine?

Even keeled is code for weak kneed? There is so much more we can do. Better weapons, fighters, anti missile batteries. There is so much more we should have done long before Putin actually invaded. Our response was as if Putin really did fear Joe Biden and obviously that's not true and only a fool thought that. Only a real show of force was going to deter Putin and Biden didn't want to escalate, where did that get us or Ukraine?
They are getting weapons they can use. More advanced weapon systems require training, and that take too much time.

That's only funny because it's so absurd. Putin invaded during the GW Bush, Barrack Obama, and Joe Biden presidencies, he didn't go during the Donald Trump Presidency. So you implication is without merit. I guess you still believe Trump Russia Collusion hoax.

They are getting weapons they can use. More advanced weapon systems require training, and that take too much time.
So let's let them die? So why didn't we provide them months ago and send people to train them or bring them to a NATO nation to be trained? Because Biden is weak and afraid and his family is rich because of Russia?

Because Biden is weak and afraid and his family is rich because of Russia?
I thought Biden's family was rich because of their underhanded dealings in Ukraine?
Is a Biden-Russia connection the new conspiracy theory?

trump's genius has caused all of this evil.

This is exactly how I feel.

You did not answer the question. You danced around what he should have done and danced around when he did something but your post clearly stated "What is Biden waiting for?", suggesting there is something you feel he should be doing now. I want to know what that "something he should do now" is!
I would have no way of knowing the specificity of what sanctions Biden has had or still has available to him. I don't have his team to present possible options to me, from which I can decide and choose which ones, applied when, make the most sense. Keane thinks sanctions should have begun as early as April 2021, when intelligence indicated Russia might invade Ukraine. I don't have that intelligence either.
But Joe Biden is POTUS, he does have the intelligence, the various teams, and all the info. All we know is what decisions he has made (from news) - without the knowledge of what info he based those decisions upon. I agree with maxparrish about imposing the maximum number (and strength) of sanctions available to him - weeks or even months ago.
I don't have the gathered national intelligence, the teams with expertise and the options they've presented to POTUS. I have no idea what his options are. I don't have a military or technical background enabling me to compare and contrast defense and weapons systems. But the U.S. government has all that info within its various teams, presented to the decision maker - POTUS.
What I do know is the decisions made have not prevented the destruction of Ukraine. Maybe what we've provided has slowed it (and potentially made it more painful in that longer timeframe), but it hasn't worked and isn't working.

Luckyone, you are good at asking but how about you address your own curiosity. What do you like that Biden has done? What do you want him to still do? What do you criticize that Biden has done? Most importantly, how do you think it is going for Ukraine - do you think they've received sufficient help and resources - do you call it a success in any capacity - do you feel good about the U.S. role as a NATO country right now - and, if so, why? What about the handling of the Russian invasion of Ukraine gives you a strong, comforting, safe, confident, or helpful feeling?

Wars are cash cows for many industries and governments; financial and commodity sanctions are the opposite.

Just maybe, the United States, NATO, and allied countries have finally decided that there is a better way than war to keep peace in this world. When it was one tribe against another in a sparsely populated and mostly independent groups (country, tribe, or family), and weapons were useful only against one building or person, there was no other way. But now, with global: energy, food, finances, diseases like COVID, and an almost universal interdependence, hopefully wars will become obsolete.
On top of that, atomic weapons are nothing more than a way for mankind to collectively commit suicide - we need to rid the planet of them, and continued physical violent war is insurance they will never go away. But crippling sanctions may just work...

If you take a car that won't start to a mechanic named Joe and he gets it running with 6 or 7 of the 8 cylinders firing, the owner would then tell Joe that's its not satisfactory. Joe B. would say "It's running ain't it? Don't you appreciate the work I've done? Can't you limp to work on that?"

You think Joe did enough to paid, thanked, and given a seal of approval, I think Joe has not finished his work and its marginally useful.

Sorry Joe, that ain't good enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom