• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelensky Speech Today

I stand with Ukraine, not Biden or Trump.
REALITY CHECK:
Actually....you're sitting on your ass on an Internet message board beating your gums relentlessly, you're not "standing with Ukraine". Pony up some orbs, get some skin in the game, and head on over. They need brave "warriors" like you.:LOL:

OK....Kerry on!!!!! Reality check is over.

Education.
Yes. Well, you can run your table top, theoretical conflict models all you like and manage whatever outcome you like when you're the only one drawing up the plans as well as the results but we're dealing in real world issues here.

Zelensky is showing leadership and strength. He's fighting to save his people and his nation. Unfortunately he has to beg Joe Biden who is Putin's puppet.
That's an ignorant claim. President Biden has most likely irreparably damaged the Russian economy.

Based in large part to what I observed of his decisions in the withdrawal and aftermath in Afghanistan I very much believe that Biden, due in large part to what he perceives prompted his son to take his own life, has chosen to avoid conflict to the point that he now runs from the very prospect of conflict.

Bidens son died of brain cancer.
Why dont you stop running from conflict and head on over? Cant walk the talk?

Putin will not tuck tail and run like Biden did in Afghanistan. He will take Ukraine and relations with the NATO Nazis will go back to normal and act as if nothing ever happened.

I would love to send in our air power and wipe out all of Putin's armor. We could do it in a day or two.

But I am certainly glad cooler heads are in control. Once that first button is pushed there is no turning back. It's Armageddon!

Can we really take that risk? I don't think putin is any more suicidal than we are but.........

Usually Presidents lead, Congress is asked to follow. In this case, we have a "leader" that is two steps behind Putin, and who cripples his own side by his fear of offending Putin.
Wait, are you under the impression the last two weeks have gone well for Putin? Even he isn't that delusional.

For anyone that may have missed it, here is Zelensky's speech today. In this video (below), the actual speech starts at the 16:00 minute mark. So start there.

Near the end of the speech, Zelensky showed a heartbreaking video showing what the cities in Ukraine were before and what they are now. In addition, he showed the deaths to innocents (babies, women and elderly people) that Putin has caused.

It was an impassioned and well done speech in which he asked Biden to not only be the leader of the United States but be the leader of Peace in the world.

It is a video for history!

I'm genuinely sorry I missed it.

Based in large part to what I observed of his decisions in the withdrawal and aftermath in Afghanistan I very much believe that Biden, due in large part to what he perceives prompted his son to take his own life, has chosen to avoid conflict to the point that he now runs from the very prospect of conflict.

Wait, Biden's son took his own life?

Putin will not tuck tail and run like Biden did in Afghanistan. He will take Ukraine and relations with the NATO Nazis will go back to normal and act as if nothing ever happened.

Nonsense. Biden ended a 20-year war. Even Trump wanted out but didn't have the balls to end US involvement.
I see you have taken the Putin "Nazis" bs to heart. With so many of the Ukraine people saying they want Russia gone, do you believe the whole country of Ukraine is a Nazi based country?

Zelensky is fighting for his country and its future life. No one with an ounce of compassion is going to make respect for Biden's temporizing more important than their own existence. Biden's responsibility is not follow, hesitate, and road block. IT's to be a leader of the free world, not to tell us a laundry list of what he can't do.

So hell yes, Zelensky got his opportunity to tell Congress and, as has been usual in this crisis, Congress has had to be our leader. But for Congress, Biden would have kept importing Russian oil, and he has still failed to sanction all the politicians of Russia. He has failed to supply most conventional weapons.

Look, folks who believe Biden is a 'good guy' so let's not push him to hard have their own freaking partisan priorities screwed up. A bipartisan majority in both houses of Congress believe Biden is NOT doing what could be done. Biden's personal weaknesses and reputation for poor (and now impaired) judgement in foreign policy is not acceptable...not if you want Ukraine to have the strongest possible position should it come to a negotiated agreement.

So the one guy causing these divisions is Joe Biden. He won't listen. He won't budge. His "thinking" remains stuck on red herrings and false premises over no fly zones.

I don't feel sorry for Biden. I feel sorry for people killed standing in line for bread. I feel sorry for children losing body parts, parents, or their life. I feel sorry for every human being maimed or slaughtered by Russians in Ukraine.

Everyone needs to badger Biden till he is willing to move.

I stand with Ukraine, not Biden or Trump.

I agree that Biden was far too sclerotic at the beginning of all of this, but leaving aside whether one believes Biden is a "good guy" much less a "good President," what from a policy perspective is needed here? Because I do not find Biden's actions to be unreasonable or favorable to Russia. They have been quite punishing and have cost Russia a massive amount of both its blood and treasure in only three weeks of fighting. I am given to understand that Russia is quickly on its way to a sovereign default which will truly wreck its economy and quite possibly lead to mass unemployment and decades-long penury for an already-struggling economy.

Keeping in mind that our nation and its allies are dealing with a wounded nuclear power, what should be done in order to further constrain and punish Russia without escalating to open war with NATO and a nuclear exchange?

For anyone that may have missed it, here is Zelensky's speech today. In this video (below), the actual speech starts at the 16:00 minute mark. So start there.

Near the end of the speech, Zelensky showed a heartbreaking video showing what the cities in Ukraine were before and what they are now. In addition, he showed the deaths to innocents (babies, women and elderly people) that Putin has caused.

It was an impassioned and well done speech in which he asked Biden to not only be the leader of the United States but be the leader of Peace in the world.

It is a video for history!

Zelensky is a good guy, and he's in a tough spot, but Biden is in a tougher one. Zelensky has to face the death of his people and the loss of his nation, but Biden has to weigh that vs the fate of every human being on Earth.

Biden's actions must be measured and proportional.

Biden, in his heart wants to "fight it out" with the Russian forces invading the Ukraine, to use the full force of the US military as a conventional fighting force, but there is no telling what Putin would do, if that would escalate into a nuclear conflict.

Everyday that Russia remains in the Ukraine Biden has upped the stakes with sanctions, these are not insignificant, but they take time to work, time Zelensky and the Ukraine people may not have, but that, Statecraft, and arms shipments are all we can offer so long a Putin sits with his finger on a nuclear trigger.

Last edited:
Then you disagree in ignorance.

Politico: https://www.politico.com/newsletter...happening-between-biden-and-congress-00016935

PRESSURE POLITICS — Something quite striking has happened in Washington since Russia invaded Ukraine. Congress — which typically takes a back seat on foreign policy matters — has repeatedly driven the White House beyond its comfort zone with bipartisan demands for more assertive policies.

It started with calls for tougher sanctions, then escalated to an appeal for a larger military and humanitarian assistance package. Members of both parties then clamored for a U.S. ban on Russian oil, which the White House saw as politically risky given the effect on gas prices at home. And they insisted that the U.S. end permanent normal trade relations with Russia.

The tactics have worked. And this week, lawmakers will be at it again — this time nudging the Biden administration to go further than it wants in facilitating the transfer of fighter jets from Poland to Ukraine.

In other words, Biden has not been doing what he could do, until pressured by Congress. Usually Presidents lead, Congress is asked to follow. In this case, we have a "leader" that is two steps behind Putin, and who cripples his own side by his fear of offending Putin.

Biden hasn't done more than 60% of what he could do, Congress knows that. He ties his own hands, then claims "its all I can do". And to the degree its politics, its been Biden's own fear of the polls should gas prices increase, rather than Ukraine's plight, that moves him.

I had growing respect for Biden until he proved himself a complete mediocrity in his SOTU speech. Completely failed to rise to the occasion. He had an opportunity to seize an FDR moment, to make the whole speech about Ukraine, to promise the arsenal of democracy would flow, that short of boots on the ground (or in the air) every other measure would be taken.

He didn't and he hasn't.
Disagreeing with congress has been the norm for the past 20 years, meaning that it is not meaningful. Biden is the person at the top that has to make decisions that affect everyone. Congress always wants that "it" wants and for the past 20 years, it has not been what is "best for the country"

I still disagree with you and it is not from ignorance. I have a brain and I cannot personally see anything he could have done that wouldn't have brought more problems that what they would have solved.

I told you to watch his eyes .
Out of his mind .
Propaganda junk .

Good Deep State PR but too late now .
Oh Monica, your beloved Russian soldiers are deserting and refusing to fight. And this swift little war that Putin thought would last a few days is a quagmire.

I hope you get hard currency for your propaganda and disinfo.

What?

Biden's son took his own life?

Show the proof.

Zelensky is excellent at what he's doing. Where I have some concern with his choices is that he seems to be showing little respect for the issue of escalation threatening nuclear war, and to not be respecting the Biden administration's position. Instead, every chance he gets, he uses the great goodwill he has to ask for things the US has said it can't do, instead of focusing on where there's agreement.

Today's speech poses some threat of beginning to create domestic political divisions. Republicans have mostly resisted temptations to take advantage of the situation for partisan attacks on Biden, but Zelensky's actions push not only them to do so, but increase strains with some Democrats and the administration. It seems rather aggressive against the administration. But I expect more will be done that can be, Biden is announcing more today.

I think this is a fair assesment.

Zelensky is a good guy, and he's in a tough spot, but Biden is in a tougher one. Zelensky has to face the death of his people and the loss of his nation, but Biden has to weigh that vs the fate of every human being on Earth.

Biden's actions must be measured and proportional.

Biden, in his heart wants to "fight it out" with the Russian forces invading the Ukraine, to use the full force of the US military as a conventional fighting force, but there is no telling what Putin would do, if that would escalate into a nuclear conflict.

Everyday that Russia remains in the Ukraine Biden has upped the stakes with sanctions, these are not insignificant, but they take time to work, time Zelensky and the Ukraine people may not have, but that, Statecraft, and arms shipments are all we can offer so long a Putin sits with his finger on a nuclear trigger.

Well said! (y)

Which is understandable in his situation but we in NATO must not be moved by the emotion. Our course has been text book perfect. Measured, predictable and tough as nails. We should not let the emotion of the situation change this.

Bit by bit, over time, I've been moving more towards your position.

But it's predicated upon more being done covertly behind the scenes, than we see in public.

If so, I can accept the path Biden has taken.

Zelensky is excellent at what he's doing. Where I have some concern with his choices is that he seems to be showing little respect for the issue of escalation threatening nuclear war, and to not be respecting the Biden administration's position. Instead, every chance he gets, he uses the great goodwill he has to ask for things the US has said it can't do, instead of focusing on where there's agreement.

Today's speech poses some threat of beginning to create domestic political divisions. Republicans have mostly resisted temptations to take advantage of the situation for partisan attacks on Biden, but Zelensky's actions push not only them to do so, but increase strains with some Democrats and the administration. It seems rather aggressive against the administration. But I expect more will be done that can be, Biden is announcing more today.

Zelensky has every reason to be annoyed at President Biden. Normally, I would not want the United States to get involved in someone else's war. If Czechoslovakia's split in 1992 was not our business, Ukraine's borders should not be ours either, right?

Except for two facts: We belong to the UN and we belong to NATO. Therefore, we have moral, legal, and practical obligations to fill in regards to what everyone originally thought was just a border war. I am disgusted with President Biden not wanting to provide all of the help Ukraine needs along with the rest of NATO and most UN members. Hopefully Zelensky gave Biden what he needs to realize what we have done so far is not helping Ukraine at all or hurting Russia enough.

Biden hasn't done more than 60% of what he could do, Congress knows that. He ties his own hands, then claims "its all I can do". And to the degree its politics, its been Biden's own fear of the polls should gas prices increase, rather than Ukraine's plight, that moves him.
I shook my head today when Biden was speaking and talking about how there is more that can be done going forth (even with sanctions). As I watch Ukraine fall into nearly total rubble and see dead bodies everywhere, I can't help but wonder WTH Biden is talking about. With Ukraine in such a seriously advanced state of destruction already, what is he waiting for? I can't help but wonder if he's waiting for Ukraine's total destruction at which point Biden will just say - it's too late now.

I shook my head today when Biden was speaking and talking about how there is more that can be done going forth (even with sanctions). As I watch Ukraine fall into nearly total rubble and see dead bodies everywhere, I can't help but wonder WTH Biden is talking about. With Ukraine in such a seriously advanced state of destruction already, what is he waiting for? I can't help but wonder if he's waiting for Ukraine's total destruction at which point Biden will just say - it's too late now.
What do you suggest he do?

Bit by bit, over time, I've been moving more towards your position.

But it's predicated upon more being done covertly behind the scenes, than we see in public.

If so, I can accept the path Biden has taken.

Just today out here in the real world I voiced my concern that too much of our help is out in public.
We need to leave room for plausible deniability for our future actions.
This is important both strategically and in the realm of public consiption... all over the world. RUSSIA, China...

Back
Top Bottom