• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelensky demands 1% of Nato tanks and planes

Juin

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Zelensky is not letting Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg off the hook. He was merciless today on fancy suit Jens Stoltenberg.

Should Nato deliver 1% of its tanks and planes to Zelensky?

"""""You have at least 20,000 tanks. Ukraine asks for 1 percent, 1 percent of all your tanks. Please give them to us or sell them to us. But we, so far, have not heard a clear response. This is the worst thing about war. We're not to have a clear answer from the West to requests for help....

You can give us 1 percent of all your planes, 1 percent of all your tanks, 1 percent. We cannot buy it. These supplies depend on NATO's political decisions. Multiple rocket launch systems, anti-warship systems, air defense systems, can we fight this war without it? So when we finally have it, it will give us and you 100% security. And we need only one. The only thing I ask of you after this one month of war, is to ask you on behalf of our military, after this one month war with Russia, in the war with Russia, please do not tell us that our army is not up to NATO's standards."""""

Bad idea, drawing NATO into the war. I certainly dont care for that.

give it

Then they're the ones who have to make the tough decision: whether to treat it like a declaration of war.

It's generally good to keep your opponent being the one who makes the tough decisions.

Zelensky is not letting Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg off the hook. He was merciless today on fancy suit Jens Stoltenberg.

"""""You have at least 20,000 tanks. Ukraine asks for 1 percent, 1 percent of all your tanks. Please give them to us or sell them to us. But we, so far, have not heard a clear response. This is the worst thing about war. We're not to have a clear answer from the West to requests for help....

You can give us 1 percent of all your planes, 1 percent of all your tanks, 1 percent. We cannot buy it. These supplies depend on NATO's political decisions. Multiple rocket launch systems, anti-warship systems, air defense systems, can we fight this war without it? So when we finally have it, it will give us and you 100% security. And we need only one. The only thing I ask of you after this one month of war, is to ask you on behalf of our military, after this one month war with Russia, in the war with Russia, please do not tell us that our army is not up to NATO's standards."""""

Oh...he's DEMANDING, now.

I think Zelensky should be more concerned about Russia's demands.

Wow! The bolded is quite the line!

"Give me 1% of your armaments, and I will defeat the Russian Army in one month, and then I dare you to tell my my military is not up to NATO standards!"

That's essentially what he's saying!

If Russia can be beaten by 1% of NATO resources, that’s pretty sad on their part.

The aggregate of Nato is humongous. And Nato is not even on war footing yet

Wow! The bolded is quite the line!

"Give me 1% of your armaments, and I will defeat the Russian Army in one month, and then I dare you to tell my my military is not up to NATO standards!"

That's essentially what he's saying!

And he is right. The aggregate of Nato dwarfs Russia by far. And Nato is not even on a war footing, as opposed to Russia that has been building up its arms for years

He can demand anything he likes.

We should still be shipping weapons to him, though, because it gets Putin all ****ing angry.

.Zelensky is not letting Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg off the hook. He was merciless today on fancy suit Jens Stoltenberg.

Doesn't anyone know how to do a dope deal anymore?

Bush screwed up his, "Behave, then I will give you your oil."

And he is right. The aggregate of Nato dwarfs Russia by far. And Nato is not even on a war footing, as opposed to Russia that has been building up its arms for years
They have been telling Putin that they are “building up,” while the money finds its way to other purposes….

Does this...
"Ukraine asks for 1 percent, 1 percent of all your tanks. Please give them to us or sell them to us."
...sound like a demand to you?
Damn. I despise this kind of abuse of the English language and this kind of inflammatory dishonesty.

No, he's not DEMANDNG, he is PLEADING.

When you ask for something and say please give or sell that something to them that is NOT demanding. It's a poor characterization.

And he also gives a very cogent rationale, to do so will allow Ukraine to win this war and by severely defeating Russian forces it will provide security to both Ukraine and NATO.

I think Zelensky should be most concerned with winning this war in the shortest possible time, so should wobbly kneed among NATO's members. If NATO really wants to end the war, give Zelensky the tools to win and stop Ukraine's bleeding.

Does this...
"Ukraine asks for 1 percent, 1 percent of all your tanks. Please give them to us or sell them to us."
Damn. I despise this kind of abuse of the English language and this kind of inflammatory dishonesty.

I share your disgust with deliberate mischaracterization so as to poison the well.

Demand really. Requests.

Try to not be so gullible.
I share your disgust with deliberate mischaracterization so as to poison the well.
It's bad enough in the body of the discussion, and there's individuals here who rely on it as their only debate strategy, but when It's in the title of the thread it shows a kind of contempt for both the truth and the other posters here.

'Please' doesnt sound like 'demanding'...it sounds more like a plea from a leader trying to fend off a superpower.

Zelensky has mastered the art of odd pleadings. They are more like shakedowns couched as pleadings.

Zelensky has mastered the art of odd pleadings. They are more like shakedowns couched as pleadings.
I reckon it would come across that way when civilians are getting bombed in apartment complexes.

Does this...

The limit as relentless pleas tend towards the infinite is a demand. If a man pleads at your bedroom window all night and day it is no more a plea, it is a demand.

The limit as relentless pleas tend towards the infinite is a demand. If a man pleads at your bedroom window all night and day it is no more a plea, it is a demand.

Sure, if we all decide that words don't have actual definitions.

Demand really. Requests.

The requests have been relentless and excessive. If requests become relentless and incessant, then they, for all intents and purposes, amount to demands.

Yes, but I wasn't referring to that, but to his claims, which I believe could be doable, or at least in the realm.

There is, in different forums, some speculation that Biden is doing this deliberately - that he is pretending to support Ukraine while dragging his feet to get Ukraine to lose and then move on to his Iran deal.

I'm not that cynical, but one can't help but wonder how Biden and some others won't get it. Malice may be a reason, but I'll stick with stupidity as a sufficient explanation. It's an old cold war reflex, one that created Vietnam...do 'just enough' to 'balance' the war to a stalemate and hope the enemy gives up, but 'don't provoke the enemy'.

That dumb as dirt "strategy" was explored in McMaster's book (and thesis) on Vietnam. He shows how that kind of thinking was a step-by-step attempt to do "just enough" but not so much so as to get pushback by those anti-war types screaming "escalation", as if it were a sin.

Goldwater was entirely correct on Vietnam, don't go in with half measures if your aim is not winning outright.

So everyone should be prepared for Ukraine's eventual defeat. Sooner or later the west will tire of a stalemate, and leave Zelensky and Ukraine to the hangman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom