• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Zelenskiy Says Fresh Election In Belarus With Observers Would Calm Political Crisis

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Zelenskiy Says Fresh Election In Belarus With Observers Would Calm Political Crisis

MTY5MTI4X3Bvc3RfMTU5Mzg2NDUwNA==.jpeg

8/23/20
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says that, if he were in Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka’s place, he would call fresh elections in one month with international observers present. "Let's imagine that I am confident about myself, I am confident in the people’s vote, that I am a confident person. How can I calm everyone down?" Zelenskiy said. "I would definitely say: ‘In one month there will be a new vote. And I am running for the new election. Whoever wants to run -- go ahead!'" He added that he would invite in "all international observers." Euronews released excerpts of the interview on August 23 ahead of the broadcast of the full interview on August 25. The Ukrainian leader's remarks came after the European Union and other Western countries said they did not recognize the result of an August 9 presidential election giving Lukashenka 80 percent of the vote.

Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya, the main opposition candidate, has claimed that she was the true winner. She has since departed for Lithuania, saying she fears for her safety, amid mass protests in Minsk and other cities. Zelenskiy said any candidate should be allowed to run in a repeat election. "I’d tell the people of Belarus: 'Please, elect whoever you want,'" he said. "And after that result, there would be no more questions. I'm convinced about it." It would be a way to avoid bloodshed, he said and would "be fair and would make history."

In a normal country, Zelenskyy would be absolutely correct. But Belarus is anything but normal.

Alexander Lukashanka would never agree to this proposal because he knows that he would lose overwhelmingly. He has plans that his youngest son succeed him.

Related: Lithuanians Form 'Freedom Way' Human Chain In Solidarity With Belarus Opposition

"Zelensky promised a big parade after the end of the conflict in the Donbass."
How many parades have already been promised in Sevastopol, Luhansk, and Donetsk... Some even promised to hold a parade in Moscow.
But for now, all they are capable of is gay parades in Khyev..

"Zelensky promised a big parade after the end of the conflict in the Donbass."
How many parades have already been promised in Sevastopol, Luhansk, and Donetsk... Some even promised to hold a parade in Moscow.
But for now, all they are capable of is gay parades in Khyev..

Has nothing to do with the OP. And besides, it's all Kremlin propaganda.

Khyev? C'mon. Not even Russians can be this dumb. It's Kyiv (Ukrainian) or Kiyev (Russian) or Kiev (Western).

Zelensky spoke with the head of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen.
He touched upon the issues of financial assistance and European integration.
As the years go by, the presidents and heads of the European Commission change, but Ukraine's issues remain the same.

:roll: No, it is actually Putin that has been president of Russia for the past 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom