• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You've Got To Love Millennials...

My eldest is working full time, going to college full time (getting A's & B's of which I'm proud of her), and paying her own bills, which at the moment amount to her schooling and her car insurance (again a proud parent), and she relates much the same story of dysfunction with her coworkers.

So yeah, I agree with you here.

Same here, my oldest is in college full time, she's got a 4.0 GPA, pays her own way and thinks her own generation is generally a bunch of whining idiots. She's in a class this semester on science fiction as literature (yes, she gets to read sci-fi for credit) and she relates stories about progressive crybabies who don't want to read the books because they might make them feel bad.

These people are imbeciles.

I didn't get this feedback from any of my kids regarding their peers in college, ever, and no mine aren't whining idiots either.

Clearly, there are going to be a few millennials who are well prepared for striking out on their own and handling whatever life ends up throwing their way, and a great many that will be turned into a quivering mass of marshmallows, crying and complaining that they don't have a safe zone, afraid of something that might make them feel bad, that life's not fair, and how the world owes them a living.

Guess which ones are going to succeed in life.

You got the percentages backwards. A great many will be well prepared for striking out on their own and handling whatever life ends up throwing their way and a few that will be turned into a quivering mass of marshmallows. The marshmallows make more for a more interesting commentary so those are the ones we hear about.

I didn't get this feedback from any of my kids regarding their peers in college, ever, and no mine aren't whining idiots either.

Maybe they aren't telling you. Or maybe you are lucky enough to live in a community with responsible parents. I dunno.

But given that a great many millennials in multiple colleges are being utterly immature and stupid, demanding 'safe zones' and fearing mere chalk on a sidewalk, it's pretty hard to dismiss and be denied out of hand as some her are attempting to.

You got the percentages backwards. A great many will be well prepared for striking out on their own and handling whatever life ends up throwing their way and a few that will be turned into a quivering mass of marshmallows. The marshmallows make more for a more interesting commentary so those are the ones we hear about.

As large the demonstrations for 'save zones' and those fearing chalk on the sidewalks, the percentages you speak of aren't as minimal as you seem to be stating.

But unless there's a detailed accounting of which is which, we are left only with subjective perceptions on this.

As large the demonstrations for 'save zones' and those fearing chalk on the sidewalks, the percentages you speak of aren't as minimal as you seem to be stating.

But unless there's a detailed accounting of which is which, we are left only with subjective perceptions on this.

Yep, I'm going off my own anecdotal experiences, but I still have a really hard time accepting the majority of millennials are even remotely close to the one's being portrayed in the media.

Maybe they aren't telling you. Or maybe you are lucky enough to live in a community with responsible parents. I dunno.

But given that a great many millennials in multiple colleges are being utterly immature and stupid, demanding 'safe zones' and fearing mere chalk on a sidewalk, it's pretty hard to dismiss and be denied out of hand as some her are attempting to.

Well my kids peer groups do all come from responsible parents. ;)

Clearly, there are going to be a few millennials who are well prepared for striking out on their own and handling whatever life ends up throwing their way, and a great many that will be turned into a quivering mass of marshmallows, crying and complaining that they don't have a safe zone, afraid of something that might make them feel bad, that life's not fair, and how the world owes them a living.

Guess which ones are going to succeed in life.

The greatest disservice that parents can inflict on their kids is to not prepare them for their lives, and the inevitable challenges that it'll bring. Clearly some parents have out right failed.

Well yeah, the kids that are raised by parents who care about their future and don't hand out trophies for just bothering to show up will do the best. Those are also the kids who aren't moving back in because they weren't immediately successful, who don't have unrealistic expectations of the real world and who understand the importance of dedication and a work ethic. Parents who haven't instilled good values in their kids have failed, but so too are a lot of these college administrators who are so desperate for students that they're willing to pat these entitled little twits on the head and cater to their immaturity. Someone has to tell these little morons "welcome to the real world" and give them the harsh education in reality that their parents failed to give them.

Yep, I'm going off my own anecdotal experiences, but I still have a really hard time accepting the majority of millennials are even remotely close to the one's being portrayed in the media.

Even when there are news stories, pictures and videos of them being that way? Certainly it isn't all of them, but there are huge crowds on campuses across America demanding special treatment because their special little snowflake feelings might be hurt.

Greetings, Erik. :2wave:

I would add refusing to listen to anyone they disagree with, to the point of spitting on them in some cases. When and how did they learn that?

:doh

Willful ignorance, and delusional obsession are rarely effective in debating a point.

They appear to be skills you're seeking to perfect.

I cited nothing more than my experience and the mountain of evidence.

"Mountain of Evidence" consists of cherry picked youtube moments and echo chamber articles.

That's not evidence... That's nonsense.

But again, I'd expect someone who touts articles about how Africa is nothing but AIDS and Ebola as "Interesting" would fall for such a deceptive trick :shrug:

It's simply illogicial to broadbrush an entire generation of people who are as unique and as varied as any generation that's come before it, and equally as despised by old complaining fogies who have nothing better to do :shrug:

The day I become like that, ****ing shoot me.

I would add refusing to listen to anyone they disagree with, to the point of spitting on them in some cases. When and how did they learn that?

It isn't just refusing to listen to anyone they disagree with, it's pushing to stop people they disagree with from being able to speak at all.

Campus Protesters Try to Silence Conservative Speaker, Demand College President’s Resignation

And if these people are allowed to speak, these regressive liberals have to go hide in their safe spaces where they have stuffed animals to cuddle because the very existence of speech that they're not even listening to that they disagree with freaks them out.

In College and Hiding From Scary Ideas

"Mountain of Evidence" consists of cherry picked youtube moments and echo chamber articles.

That's not evidence... That's nonsense.

But again, I'd expect someone who touts articles about how Africa is nothing but AIDS and Ebola as "Interesting" would fall for such a deceptive trick :shrug:

It's simply illogicial to broadbrush an entire generation of people who are as unique and as varied as any generation that's come before it, and equally as despised by old complaining fogies who have nothing better to do :shrug:

The day I become like that, ****ing shoot me.

It is evidence, you're just desperately trying to hide from it.

It is evidence, you're just desperately trying to hide from it.

No, it happened, but it represents a pittance of millennials, that's what I'm saying.

You know for someone that bashes religion as much as you do for their illogical stances, I'm surprised you'd take the illogical position of bashing an entire generation of people for the actions of a minute few.

But when anger and passion drive your positions, as is the case of religion bashing, it's no surprise you'd take such an intellectually improbable position.

No, it happened, but it represents a pittance of millennials, that's what I'm saying.

You know for someone that bashes religion as much as you do for their illogical stances, I'm surprised you'd take the illogical position of bashing an entire generation of people for the actions of a minute few.

But when anger and passion drive your positions, as is the case of religion bashing, it's no surprise you'd take such an intellectually improbable position.

No one has ever said it was all millenials, in fact, several of us have millenial children who think the whole thing is idiotic. But instead of acknowledging that this kind of crap is happening, you're desperately trying to minimize it and ignore it instead of accepting that there is a problem.

No one has ever said it was all millenials

Then we'll say most, it's still stupid, still broad brushing.

Most of them are spoiled rotten, raised by clueless liberals and entitlement happy.

But instead of acknowledging that this kind of crap is happening,

I think there's more than enough idiotic publications out there making hay of this, so I don't think that's a problem.

you're desperately trying to minimize it and ignore it instead of accepting that there is a problem.

It's not trying to minimize it, it's recognizing it for the minimal issue it is. :shrug:

It isn't just refusing to listen to anyone they disagree with, it's pushing to stop people they disagree with from being able to speak at all.

Campus Protesters Try to Silence Conservative Speaker, Demand College President’s Resignation

And if these people are allowed to speak, these regressive liberals have to go hide in their safe spaces where they have stuffed animals to cuddle because the very existence of speech that they're not even listening to that they disagree with freaks them out.

Greetings, Cephus. :2wave:

:agree: Since these kids are going to be our leaders one day, we're going to be in trouble if they don't grow up! Whatever happened to good manners along the way, as a minimum requirement for living in a civilized society, and why do they think that the First Amendment only applies to them when they have something to say? Where did they get the idea that freedom of speech is something that is graded on a curve, and not an absolute right for all? :screwy:

Well yeah, the kids that are raised by parents who care about their future and don't hand out trophies for just bothering to show up will do the best. Those are also the kids who aren't moving back in because they weren't immediately successful, who don't have unrealistic expectations of the real world and who understand the importance of dedication and a work ethic. Parents who haven't instilled good values in their kids have failed, but so too are a lot of these college administrators who are so desperate for students that they're willing to pat these entitled little twits on the head and cater to their immaturity. Someone has to tell these little morons "welcome to the real world" and give them the harsh education in reality that their parents failed to give them.

I'm sure the realities of the real world isn't going to have a single problem delivering exactly that. Expect even greater wailing and gnashing of teeth when it does.

Helicopter parenting and participation trophies I figure. So it's both good parenting as well as the liberal / progressive indoctrination found in the education system come manifest itself.

Another example of the results of the liberal / progressive indoctrination present in the education system.

Helicopter parenting and participation trophies I figure. So it's both good parenting as well as the liberal / progressive indoctrination found in the education system come manifest itself.

Is that why they spat on our veterans when they returned from Vietnam?

Is that why they spat on our veterans when they returned from Vietnam?

Don't think a millennial ever spat on a Vietnam vet. You must be thinking of someone else.

It seems odd that so many people can agree that millennials are really screwed up, but almost nobody wants to look at the generation that "raised" them. I use quotes because a lot of those late baby boomers or gen x people really broke the mold when it comes to divorce, drug abuse, etc.

Don't think a millennial ever spat on a Vietnam vet. You must be thinking of someone else.

Exactly. Way in the day, they did spit on out Vets, and so I must wonder if that was bad parenting too.

Oh lookie!

A youtube video of stupid people saying stupid things!

Not like they're 90% of the videos on there.

Oh, lookie...

A bunch of privileged punks who are more interested in hearing themselves [loved the black woman who interrupted him to bitch about what he was not saying[ than getting answers. If this is their behavior outside of class then we can see where is the problem in class.

Secondly, they appear to have hijacked this guy and are ganging up on him. All colleges have dispute mechanisms; it says something about the fact one or more chose this entirely inappropriate means to confront him while rather un-realistically expecting results.

No generation or nation or race for that matter, is all of one thing, but there are common trends. The so-called values of the Millennials have been subject of discussion for many years, so it is not unfair to categorize them accordingly.

Look, I walk with a cane. There are two groups of people who do not see me at all, to whom I am invisible and who represent a serious threat to my health, the first is women my own age who have never had to get out of anyone's way, and Millennials who have been taught they don't have to and are texting anyway.

Last edited:

The kids themselves always knew exactly who won a baseball game, which is the only sport my kids participated in that gave trophies - and don't forget the juice boxes - to everyone. When losing counts the same as winning, no wonder some young adults today have a problem dealing with the real world, which they soon learn is very competitive! While I understand the rationale of not making a young child feel like a loser, it often seemed that their parents were more concerned about it than the kids, who were just playing a game they enjoyed. Go figure....

Back
Top Bottom