• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You've Got To Love Millennials...

It's a few people. :roll:

You're being no different to those old fogies who would have looked down on College Kids who protested Vietnam as commie pinko fags :shrug:

Because protesting a war is totally the same as demanding a safe space.

Except almost no one is actually demanding a safe space :shrug:

Yup, this is no one:

635828499787007956-IC-protest-image-3.jpg

And so is this:

Ithaca-College-protest-111115-800x430.jpg

Look at those people who aren't there!

Except almost no one is actually demanding a safe space :shrug:

Um.....huh? Soooo, all of these articles are lying?

College students demand safe spaces from border patrol agents

Black students demand segregated spaces from white students

Emory University Students Demand Trump-Free Safe Space

Safe Space on Campus? That’s NOTHING Compared to This Demand.

Ohio University students demand police investigation after peers mock safe-spaces

Demands for ‘safe’ spaces lead to campus debates

Yale’s Dean Defends ‘Safe Spaces’ Amid Campus Protests

Black Students at Princeton Demand Their Own Safe Space; Will They Also Ask for Separate Bathrooms & Drinking Fountains?

Princeton protesters: Why we need safe spaces, and why honoring Woodrow Wilson is spitting in our faces

College Cancels Classes to Cater to Student Demands for a Safe Space

Students demand a safer space at University of Arizona

Amazing: Oberlin president says ‘no’ to students’ list of demands, including black-only ‘safe spaces

MSU Students Demand Safe Space

And that was just the tip of the iceberg, I could have posted another 100 articles without breaking a sweat.

These articles are magnifying a extremely small minority of millennials.

Perhaps if you'd actually read what I said, which was that it's a few people, and not outright denying it, then we can all move on

And that was just the tip of the iceberg, I could have posted another 100 articles without breaking a sweat.

Oh lookie!

A youtube video of stupid people saying stupid things!

Not like they're 90% of the videos on there.

These articles are magnifying a extremely small minority of millennials.

Perhaps if you'd actually read what I said, which was that it's a few people, and not outright denying it, then we can all move on

I hear Egypt is nice this time of year. :roll:

You've Got To Love Millennials...

i work with a bunch of them, and they are dedicated and hard working. of course, i've never been much of a "get off my lawn" kind of fella.

Oh lookie!

Pictures that don't prove a goddamn thing.

Except that there are lots of people who are demanding this, entirely discrediting your claim.

Oh lookie!

Once again, proof that you're wrong and you're not honest enough to admit it. No surprise there.

Oh lookie!

Students from Yale are not exactly known for being stupid. :lol: What is really going on is that you have a large group of people acting like children because society has taught them that such behavior is acceptable.

Except that there are lots of people who are demanding this.

Except there really isn't :shrug:

These instances have been highlighted and sensationalized by the media and if you extrapolate from these stories, that all millennials are like that, you fall hook line and sinker for it.

The fact is, is that millennials, and college students, are as varied and diverse in their attitudes and opinions as every other age demographic and generation before them.

I'm in customer service, I deal with people of all different age groups, demographics, religions and socio-economic backgrounds, and believe me, there are a small minority of every single one of those demographics I listed that act like spoiled, entitled little brats.

And your attitude towards millennials, is no different or varied than certain sections of any generation before yours that ever looked down on younger folk as weak, entitled brats. :shrug:

It's actually quite pathetic you can't see the way you are behaving.

No, no I don't. Most of them are spoiled rotten, raised by clueless liberals and entitlement happy. We're in trouble.
The same was said about us in the day. In my case, just ***ahem*** yesterday.
Or have we forgotten the 60's?
And, in some cases there was some truth to it.

But in others, a lot of important stuff was done.

The big issue for youth is discerning ideals from delusions; but sometimes the best part of not knowing what you realistically 'can't do', is that through youthful naivety you manage to do it! :thumbs:

Except there really isn't :shrug:

These instances have been highlighted and sensationalized by the media and if you extrapolate from these stories, that all millennials are like that, you fall hook line and sinker for it.

The fact is, is that millennials, and college students, are as varied and diverse in their attitudes and opinions as every other age demographic and generation before them.

I'm in customer service, I deal with people of all different age groups, demographics, religions and socio-economic backgrounds, and believe me, there are a small minority of every single one of those demographics I listed that act like spoiled, entitled little brats.

And your attitude towards millennials, is no different or varied than certain sections of any generation before yours that ever looked down on younger folk as weak, entitled brats. :shrug:

It's actually quite pathetic you can't see the way you are behaving.

Well, there are video's and loads of evidence, and then there is your opinion, backed by nothing more than some experience in customer service which may provide minimal exposure at best to a wider sample.

I can say from interviewing and hiring hundreds of people over the decades that the current crop of young people most certainly feels the most entitled and is the most demanding. Backed by video and the multitude of articles and statements, not much more need be said to prove the point.

Well, there are video's and loads of evidence, and then there is your opinion, backed by nothing more than some experience in customer service which may provide minimal exposure at best to a wider sample.

I can say from interviewing and hiring hundreds of people over the decades that the current crop of young people most certainly feels the most entitled and is the most demanding. Backed by video and the multitude of articles and statements, not much more need be said to prove the point.

Sensationalist media and cherry picked videos are hardly evidence.

Yeah sure, what I'm saying is slightly anecdotal.

but I don't exactly mind that being questioned by a guy who touts articles saying Africa is nothing more than AIDS and Ebola :shrug:

It doesn't require much except LOGIC, to think that it's really stupid to broad brush an entire generation of people :shrug:

Again, all of you sound like all the old fogies that came before you, complaining about young folk, you're no different to them.

Sensationalist media and cherry picked videos are hardly evidence.

Yeah sure, what I'm saying is slightly anecdotal.

but I don't exactly mind that being questioned by a guy who touts articles saying Africa is nothing more than AIDS and Ebola :shrug:

It doesn't require much except LOGIC, to think that it's really stupid to broad brush an entire generation of people :shrug:

Again, all of you sound like all the old fogies that came before you, complaining about young folk, you're no different to them.

:doh

Willful ignorance, and delusional obsession are rarely effective in debating a point.

They appear to be skills you're seeking to perfect.

I cited nothing more than my experience and the mountain of evidence.

Son Numbah One was born in 1995, and falls into the "Millennial" generation. For several years I've been arguing that every generation, in their youth, seems degenerate and debased to their elders, going back to Pliny and Cato and Aristotle.

Son#1 has been asserting that the Millennials are, in fact, different... that for the most part they really are a walking disaster area of weak, hapless and useless drones.

My counter-argument was that he lacked perspective due to his youth, and that being among them he couldn't see the forest for the trees.

However, in more recent years I've begun to believe him. Educators with decades of experience are saying "No, this really IS a new breed, and not in a good way." I've been interacting with more millennials as well, and while there are exceptions among them the majority are a hot mess.

Teenage attitudes and behaviors persisting into the mid and late twenties... sophomoric attitudes/behaviors persisting into the late 20s and early 30s. A frightening inability to connect cause and effect, choices and consequence.

I'd been trying to persuade my SELF that my perception was a result of being an old fart looking down through the fog of years and forgetting what being 20-something was like... but lots of others with reason to have good perspectives are saying the same thing: the Millennials may be the most useless and hapless generation in living memory if not ever.

Son#1 asserts it is so. When he was in a HS apprenticeship program, he was made "straw boss" over the other students at work because he was the only one that actually tried to DO THE JOB, and he was willing to push the others to get off their assets and do something productive. Now working a paid position at Wally Whirled while studying Welding at Tech college, he tells me of the lives of the 20-somethings he works with and it isn't pretty.

I didn't want to believe it but the evidence is mounting that most Millennials are indeed a problematic generation...

No, no I don't. Most of them are spoiled rotten, raised by clueless liberals and entitlement happy. We're in trouble.

but but...they're more likely to be atheist! That means they pass your litmus test

Son Numbah One was born in 1995, and falls into the "Millennial" generation. For several years I've been arguing that every generation, in their youth, seems degenerate and debased to their elders, going back to Pliny and Cato and Aristotle.

Son#1 has been asserting that the Millennials are, in fact, different... that for the most part they really are a walking disaster area of weak, hapless and useless drones.

My counter-argument was that he lacked perspective due to his youth, and that being among them he couldn't see the forest for the trees.

However, in more recent years I've begun to believe him. Educators with decades of experience are saying "No, this really IS a new breed, and not in a good way." I've been interacting with more millennials as well, and while there are exceptions among them the majority are a hot mess.

Teenage attitudes and behaviors persisting into the mid and late twenties... sophomoric attitudes/behaviors persisting into the late 20s and early 30s. A frightening inability to connect cause and effect, choices and consequence.

I'd been trying to persuade my SELF that my perception was a result of being an old fart looking down through the fog of years and forgetting what being 20-something was like... but lots of others with reason to have good perspectives are saying the same thing: the Millennials may be the most useless and hapless generation in living memory if not ever.

Son#1 asserts it is so. When he was in a HS apprenticeship program, he was made "straw boss" over the other students at work because he was the only one that actually tried to DO THE JOB, and he was willing to push the others to get off their assets and do something productive. Now working a paid position at Wally Whirled while studying Welding at Tech college, he tells me of the lives of the 20-somethings he works with and it isn't pretty.

I didn't want to believe it but the evidence is mounting that most Millennials are indeed a problematic generation...

I don't believe it for a minute. They're not significantly different from any other generation at that age. That being said there are differences that have shaped their outlooks. Education is more expensive, finding good long term employment takes longer and they're even more cautious with long-term relationships (marriage) than earlier generations. They are a product of their upbringing (more broken families, not just theirs, thier friends) and ****ty economy just when they are at the age to be launched. Aside from the external influences they are pretty much the same and they aren't any more entitled feeling than previous generations, but they (and understandably so) feel like older generations have taken and taken and left things worse off for them.

My kids were all born to this generation '89, 91 & 92.

but but...they're more likely to be atheist! That means they pass your litmus test

No, just because you don't have imaginary friends doesn't automatically make you a rational person.

My eldest is working full time, going to college full time (getting A's & B's of which I'm proud of her), and paying her own bills, which at the moment amount to her schooling and her car insurance (again a proud parent), and she relates much the same story of dysfunction with her coworkers.

So yeah, I agree with you here.

My eldest is working full time, going to college full time (getting A's & B's of which I'm proud of her), and paying her own bills, which at the moment amount to her schooling and her car insurance (again a proud parent), and she relates much the same story of dysfunction with her coworkers.

So yeah, I agree with you here.

Same here, my oldest is in college full time, she's got a 4.0 GPA, pays her own way and thinks her own generation is generally a bunch of whining idiots. She's in a class this semester on science fiction as literature (yes, she gets to read sci-fi for credit) and she relates stories about progressive crybabies who don't want to read the books because they might make them feel bad.

These people are imbeciles.

Same here, my oldest is in college full time, she's got a 4.0 GPA, pays her own way and thinks her own generation is generally a bunch of whining idiots. She's in a class this semester on science fiction as literature (yes, she gets to read sci-fi for credit) and she relates stories about progressive crybabies who don't want to read the books because they might make them feel bad.

These people are imbeciles.

Clearly, there are going to be a few millennials who are well prepared for striking out on their own and handling whatever life ends up throwing their way, and a great many that will be turned into a quivering mass of marshmallows, crying and complaining that they don't have a safe zone, afraid of something that might make them feel bad, that life's not fair, and how the world owes them a living.

Guess which ones are going to succeed in life.

The greatest disservice that parents can inflict on their kids is to not prepare them for their lives, and the inevitable challenges that it'll bring. Clearly some parents have out right failed.

Back
Top Bottom