• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Youth with BB gun resembling firearm shot by police in East Baltimore

dimensionallava

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Another black teenager 14 year old Dedric Colvin was shot by police for playing with a toy gun, on the anniversary of Freddie Gray's murder no less. Police are again using the ridiculous lie that he pointed the gun at them. Luckily it is believed he will survive the shooting, but this will likely happen again. And since the police are not required to record information about shootings like this. It is not known how many times this occurs in america unless it makes the news. The NRA and other so called "2nd amendment rights" activists will of course, back the police on this as well.

Baltimore police detective shot a boy in East Baltimore on Wednesday afternoon who he wrongly believed was carrying a semiautomatic pistol, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said.

The boy suffered what police called non-life-threatening injuries to a "lower extremity," Davis said. The weapon turned out to be spring-air-powered BB gun — not a real firearm.

The boy's mother identified him as 14-year-old Dedric Colvin, an eighth-grader at City Springs Middle School. Volanda Young said her son was shot once in the shoulder and once in the leg.

The incident came on the day city officials marked the one-year anniversary of the Freddie Gray riots.

Davis said two plainclothes detectives assigned to the Police Department's intelligence section were driving in the 1100 block of E. Baltimore St. shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday when they spotted the boy with what appeared to be a firearm.

. "We can't allow someone to walk down the street in broad daylight anywhere in Baltimore with what looks to be a semiautomatic pistol in their hand."

Youth with BB gun resembling firearm shot by police in East Baltimore - Baltimore Sun

Do you think the police should be required to keep track of data, concerning shootings? Do you think toy guns should be illegal? Do police have the right to interrogate and arrest someone for holding a gun in public?

Orange tip? Or did this kid remove it too?

I believe it should be illegal to remove the orange tip and also illegal to manufacture lookalikes. There is absolutely no good reason for the toy to resemble the real thing.

I believe it should be illegal to remove the orange tip and also illegal to manufacture lookalikes. There is absolutely no good reason for the toy to resemble the real thing.

BB and pellet guns are not required to have orange tips

Then it should be illegal to manufacture these lookalikes. Again, no good or legal reason for them.

Also, I'll reiterate what one of the comments on the page says - the kid was not shot for carrying the imitation firearm, he was shot because he was stupid. He came perilously close to being yet another Darwin Award winner.

Last edited:
Toy guns should not be manufactured...or sold.

Any parent (especially a black parent) allowing a kid to go out on the street to play with a toy resembling a gun in any way...is a piss poor parent.

If a person has what looks like a gun in the presence of a police officer...there is a better than good chance the cop is going to shoot...and well the officer should.

which is a problem

the freaking companies should be required to paint these things luminescent green or orange

then the cops would know they werent REAL guns and stop shooting kids

i blame the people making these, and the stupid ass parents who continue to buy them for their kids

Toy guns should not be manufactured...or sold.

Any parent (especially a black parent) allowing a kid to go out on the street to play with a toy resembling a gun in any way...is a piss poor parent.

So the responsibility is with the parents to keep their kids indoors least they be gunned down on the streets and not with the people killing them?

So the responsibility is with the parents to keep their kids indoors least they be gunned down on the streets and not with the people killing them?

The responsibility of any decent parent is to teach their children the danger of playing with toys that look like guns out in the streets.

If you don't understand that...I hope you are not a parent.

Another black teenager 14 year old Dedric Colvin was shot by police for playing with a toy gun, on the anniversary of Freddie Gray's murder no less. Police are again using the ridiculous lie that he pointed the gun at them. Luckily it is believed he will survive the shooting, but this will likely happen again. And since the police are not required to record information about shootings like this. It is not known how many times this occurs in america unless it makes the news. The NRA and other so called "2nd amendment rights" activists will of course, back the police on this as well.

Youth with BB gun resembling firearm shot by police in East Baltimore - Baltimore Sun

Do you think the police should be required to keep track of data, concerning shootings? Do you think toy guns should be illegal? Do police have the right to interrogate and arrest someone for holding a gun in public?

The kid was stupid. Especially if there wasn't a bright orange tip on the BB gun which tells you that, you know, it's not a real gun.

I have a friend who owns several BB guns(with the orange tips, I might add). If you removed the tips, especially on the pistol version, it really does look like a working firearm.

6 million dollars is the going rate for this.

But seriously, we need to develop much better and reliable less-than-lethal weapons for the police. Shoot first ask questions later should not be the SOP.

which is a problem

the freaking companies should be required to paint these things luminescent green or orange

i blame the people making these, and the stupid ass parents who continue to buy them for their kids

What's to stop someone from painting their real gun with some high vis paint?

The NRA and other so called "2nd amendment rights" activists will of course, back the police on this as well.

NRA/GOA Member here, also a big fan of the 2nd Amendment, why do you presume that we would back the police on this? Also, as well as what?

Do you think the police should be required to keep track of data, concerning shootings?

Not just data, I believe they should be required to keep and share video of EVERY shooting.

Do you think toy guns should be illegal?

No, do you and if so why? Whats a toy gun? Is an air pistol that fires BB's a toy gun to you?

Do police have the right to interrogate and arrest someone for holding a gun in public?

Holding a gun? Be it fake or real certainly interrogate at the very least, if its in their hand its a problem. Pointing it, BIG problem.

Holstered, if someone complained and the state required a permit then they should ask to see the permit. If they're in violation of any state law, then sure they have the right to arrest.

But otherwise, a cop shouldn't have to be able to tell if an adult otherwise law abiding citizen's holstered/shouldered weapon fires BB's or hollow-points. It should be perfectly legal.

which is a problem

I disagree, not all BB guns or air pistols are toys or just for kids. They problem is indeed the parents though.

no it is the responsibility of the parent to supervise what their kids are doing in the streets.
running around the streets with a bb gun that looks like a real gun is not doing that.

bb guns are considered guns by the ATF therefore they do not require an orange tip.

what parent in their right mind allows a kid to run around in the street with a gun in the first place?
we all had guns in our home. we were never allowed to take them outside and just fire them.

let alone a street. we went to an outdoor firing range or found a huge field. where no one was around.

When I was a young boy my favorite things were my tonka toys, my big wheel, and my cowboy outfit. It had a belt with two holsters, two colt replica cap guns, a cowboy hat and a sheriff badge. I used to love putting on my outfit and ride my big wheel up and down the sidewalk in my home town shooting caps at pretend foes. I was allowed to only go three houses up or down the sidewalk. My dad must have enjoyed watching me have fun because he kept me in supply of caps.

Probably wouldn't allow it today though.

I think the failure is on the parents or parent to tell their kids that if a cop tells you you to drop the gun you drop the gun and to not go waving it around around and to not run from the cops. Should bb gun manufacturers put a common sense warning label on their products that if you wave this around like a real gun or do anything to make this look like a gun you may get shot by the cops?

The responsibility of any decent parent is to teach their children the danger of playing with toys that look like guns out in the streets.

If you don't understand that...I hope you are not a parent.

aside from the notion that children who dont have decent parents deserve to be shot, what about orphans? who's responsibility would it be then?

what proof do you have officers lied? In most cases pointing is not nessecary to justify deadly force. Brandishing is.

1) sure
2)no, it is illegal already to Brandish a replica as a real gun

3) without dispute.

NRA/GOA Member here, also a big fan of the 2nd Amendment, why do you presume that we would back the police on this? Also, as well as what?
I think its fair to say the NRA has a pretty awful track record when it comes to black and poor peoples right too own a gun. For example they have remained absolutely silent on stop and frisk laws

No, do you and if so why? Whats a toy gun? Is an air pistol that fires BB's a toy gun to you?
I dont have an opinion one way or the other, but by toy gun I meant all kinds of toy guns bb guns, cap guns, water guns etc etc. If you believe one type of toy gun should be banned, and one should not, then please explain

But seriously, we need to develop much better and reliable less-than-lethal weapons for the police. Shoot first ask questions later should not be the SOP.
Only if Baltimore settles, and I hope they don't. Because if they take it to trial they will win if they are sued.

They can take some advice from Donald Trump, don't settle if you're right.

I don't know what your alternative is, get shot so you can't ask questions later? When deadly weapons in the hands of non compliant suspects are involved shoot first is the sensible option

What about "don't be a frickin' idiot", which is the SOP for these morons running around with real-looking guns in public?

I think its fair to say the NRA has a pretty awful track record when it comes to black and poor peoples right too own a gun. For example they have remained absolutely silent on stop and frisk laws

I dont have an opinion one way or the other, but by toy gun I meant all kinds of toy guns bb guns, cap guns, water guns etc etc. If you believe one type of toy gun should be banned, and one should not, then please explain

Why should the NRA have an official position on stop and frisk laws?
Are you opposed to laws against concealed carry? Because that's the only crime that stop and frisk detects. If the NRA came out publically against stop and frisk you'd be here complaining they're encouraging people to break gun laws

aside from the notion that children who dont have decent parents deserve to be shot, what about orphans? who's responsibility would it be then?

I did not say anyone deserved to be shot.

If you have to fabricate crap like that to make your point...chances are you should not be making the point.

Why should the NRA have an official position on stop and frisk laws?
they don't have to have an official opinion about anything, but the fact that they dont says alot

Are you opposed to laws against concealed carry? Because that's the only crime that stop and frisk detects.
yes I am opposed to gun laws of all kinds, and no stop and frisk does not only detect illegal conceal and carry, it was a law that allowed police to illegally search people (mostly poor black people) without cause.

I did not say anyone deserved to be shot.

If you have to fabricate crap like that to make your point...chances are you should not be making the point.

you said

The responsibility of any decent parent is to teach their children the danger

meaning you were saying the mother was responsible and shes isn't a decent parent. Which implies children without "decent" parents deserve to be shot. Thats why I asked about orphans.

Back
Top Bottom