• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and why

You're the Congressman, and Your Vote on Syria

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Your vote?

Yea.
Nay.
Or Obama's favorite... Not Present.

###

At the moment I'd vote no.
This is all about Obama and covering his ass. He's looking to Republicans to save his ass. It's all political as everything is with this Amateur. First he says we can't tolerate this... then on Saturday before going golfing and everyone is expecting him to make a statement about upcoming bombings, he says he's going to Congress.

Isn't it amazing how Obama left Kerry out to hang?

The measures are half assed. A pin prick. Symbolic... Useless... and the problem is 100% of Obama's own making.

Where is the coalition?

Where is Obama's preparation after making the Red Line statement?

Let the Arab League sort this out. We've sold them enough hi-tech equipment... we can assist with AWACs and the like.

There is a reason to vote yea and it is because it's the US, and our credibility is on the line. But sorry, our credibility is damaged and the only thing that will restore it is having a mature adult as president, and the first opportunity for that it 2016.

Last edited:
Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

Yes for limited strikes, no on ground troops.

Re: You're The Congressman... You Make the Call on Syria (Yea... or Nay.. or...) and

Your vote?

Yea.
Nay.
Or Obama's favorite... Not Present.

I voted "Yea." I don't want us to do it, but I think we've been put into a position where we have to. When the chips are down, we can't afford not to back the Office of the Presidency.

Sophies choice. The pot's boiling, but the lid is still on. Put the decision, and the fall out back where it belongs. Some cans should never be kicked down the road. Others are watching.

Absolutely "Nay!"

...unless il-prezbo will let us know how he did at spades during the bombing.

I voted "Yea." I don't want us to do it, but I think we've been put into a position where we have to. When the chips are down, we can't afford not to back the Office of the Presidency.

I'm afraid that that is the kind of reasoning that will prevail with many in Congress. I understand your point. But in the long run it is less of a catastrophe for Obama and the US to loose face short term than to engage in a pointless and counterproductive military intervention.
I would vote nay.

I'm afraid that that is the kind of reasoning that will prevail with many in Congress. I understand your point. But in the long run it is less of a catastrophe for Obama and the US to loose face short term than to engage in a pointless and counterproductive military intervention.
I would vote nay.

I think that would effectively castrate President Obama in the eyes of the world. That wouldn't be a good thing. He could have done this all by his lonesome; he chose not to for a reason. He knows it'll pass Congress, and THAT'S the message he needs to send right now -- at least IMHO.

I think that would effectively castrate President Obama in the eyes of the world. That wouldn't be a good thing. He could have done this all by his lonesome; he chose not to for a reason. He knows it'll pass Congress, and THAT'S the message he needs to send right now -- at least IMHO.

If he gets the go ahead and then indeed conducts the sort of limited strike he proposes the message that will go out is that the US is big on showing its frustration by throwing some missiles around, but that this is just empty posturing because Assad will survive and carry on.

I might be inclined to support it if the administration can demonstrate a coherent policy that goes beyond the current problem in Syria. If the president is serious about dealing with Iran, finally, then I could get on board.

Even though I'm not a fan of Obama I ake no comfort in his potential loss of face. But he brought this on himself. And just engaging in some symbolic bombing in order "not to lose face" in reality results in even greater loss of face.

Up to the US Congress.

I'd vote no...if the International community feels that using chemical weapons is a breach of international law and requires punishment...then the International community needs to act...not the US and France.

It's also not a "loss of face"...It's how things are suppose to work. I'm actually glad that he's going to Congress to ask to attack another country when they provide no direct threat to the US. Guess what...lobbing missiles and air strikes are an act of war. We might not be willing to land troops there and they are unable to attack the US directly but it's an act of war.

If he gets the go ahead and then indeed conducts the sort of limited strike he proposes the message that will go out is that the US is big on showing its frustration by throwing some missiles around, but that this is just empty posturing because Assad will survive and carry on.

The goal is not and should not be to remove Assad from power. The goal should be to show that using chemical weapons will cost more than you will gain from it. That is why limited strikes is appropriate, while ground troops are not to my mind.

I agree. We need to be united in this. I hope they can reach a reasonable decision.

The goal is not and should not be to remove Assad from power. The goal should be to show that using chemical weapons will cost more than you will gain from it. That is why limited strikes is appropriate, while ground troops are not to my mind.
If the only point of a limited attack is a coercive cost-benefit analysis, then why don't we just tax him into behavioral compliance?

Don't get me wrong, I'm also aganst a larger interventio to remove Assad from power. But if the point of the attack is just going to be throwing a few bombs, then this will only demonstrate impotent frustration and will not at all be an unacceptable cost to Assad. It will send the message that if you use chemical weapons, the worst that can happen is that you get a slap on the wrist. That is worse than not responding militarily at all.

I agree. We need to be united in this. I hope they can reach a reasonable decision.

Attacking Syria just to save the President's face is not a reasonable decision. Not even a rational one.

If the only point of a limited attack is a coercive cost-benefit analysis, then why don't we just tax him into behavioral compliance?

Because you can't tax him. Sanctions are not going to work simply because too many countries will still deal with them.

I'd vote "neigh" to the horse's ass's request.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also aganst a larger interventio to remove Assad from power. But if the point of the attack is just going to be throwing a few bombs, then this will only demonstrate impotent frustration and will not at all be an unacceptable cost to Assad. It will send the message that if you use chemical weapons, the worst that can happen is that you get a slap on the wrist. That is worse than not responding militarily at all.

A few bombs can do some pretty significant damage to his military power. He can withstand it certainly, but it will be a significant cost.

I voted "Nay".
Reason, Obama should have been talking to Congress before he made his crossing the "line" statements.

Its a no win situation for the US. If we strike, it could esculate out of control. If we hurt/kill private citizens it will be used against us.
if we don't strike, people will use it against us for no action.

In the end, I doubt no matter what we do that the people in the middle east will think any differnt about the US. It is not are war.
As far as those who are calling for action. Where were they when S. Hussain was gassing his people in Iraq?

A few bombs can do some pretty significant damage to his military power. He can withstand it certainly, but it will be a significant cost.

It will turn him into the dictator who faced up to the US and survived and thus a hero to his supporters. And other regimes may draw the lesson that they can get away with far worse and still survive.

Besides, to really damage the sort of military power he needs to win his civil war the US would have to conduct a very long and sustained bombing campaign over Syria, killing many thousands.

Do you, for a minute, believe that if the US bombs Syrian military facitilites and weapons that the Russians won't be right there in the next few days offloading replacement weapons and much, much more in a ramped up response to US action? And when that happens, is the President and all those pushing for "saving face" going to lose face then or go all in?

but you do realize I hope that once the bombing starts, not removing him from power would be seen as a political failure so if Obama goes in for a penny, he will go in for a pound. Politics always trumps strategy in politician's minds.

A slap on the wrist . . . sanction in the eyes of the world . . . hundreds of millions of dollars of infrastructure damage . . . loss of face at one's inability to do a damned thing about it . . . it's more than a slap on the wrist.

Back
Top Bottom