• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

YOU'RE HIRED! Trump to Pick Mike Pence, Says Source

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Donald Trump is planning to announce that Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is his choice for his vice presidential running mate, according to a Republican with direct knowledge of the decision.

As Trump narrowed in on his choice of Pence, the two men spent time at both Trump's golf resort in New Jersey in early July and at the Indiana governor's mansion this week.
Trump to Pick Mike Pence, Says Source

Pence helps Trump............................nowhere.

He helps him in Indiana and he helps him with the party leaders, and evangelicals. And will help him in the Oval office if he gets there.

I'm kind of surprised if this turns out to be accurate. I didn't think Trump would pick someone on the complete opposite side of one of his campaign centerpieces. Mike Pence is one of the biggest trade deal supporters out there and even supports the TPP.

Donald Trump is planning to announce that Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is his choice for his vice presidential running mate, according to a Republican with direct knowledge of the decision.

As Trump narrowed in on his choice of Pence, the two men spent time at both Trump's golf resort in New Jersey in early July and at the Indiana governor's mansion this week.

That's nice. The two Fox & Friends ladies will get their breakfasts made by the two guys. Score!!!

Pence is about the best possible choice of those willing to take the job. It does not help Trump much, but it does help a little, which really is about the best you can hope for in a VP pick.

I'm kind of surprised if this turns out to be accurate. I didn't think Trump would pick someone on the complete opposite side of one of his campaign centerpieces. Mike Pence is one of the biggest trade deal supporters out there and even supports the TPP.

You didn't actually think Trump meant anything he's said did you?

You didn't actually think Trump meant anything he's said did you?
I have been telling people, Trump is at best a moderate.
The rest is just talk.
His actions over his life, place him politically in the middle of the road.
He looks right of Hillery, because she is driving in the grass passed the left shoulder.

Good pick to pacify the conservatives in his party.

Terrible pick in terms of electorate outreach and the usual attack-dog role of the Veep, due to his inability to handle the national media!

Gov Pence really blew his shot on the national stage with his state's anti-gay flare-up, where he proved he wasn't ready for anything larger or more sophisticated than his own smaller locale scene where he can dictatorially dominate to no ill effect.

Then again, with Mr. Trump's dominance of the media and attack, maybe all Trump believes he needs from Gov Pence is to shore-up GOP conservative support.

Trump may have passed on both the Former Speaker and the current NJ governor due to their relatively high general electorate unfavorable ratings, but I don't see Gov Pence doing a great deal better with cross over-votes, though perhaps he might pick-off some conservative Indies (an important demo for Trump). Perhaps they figure he may be able to bring Indiana along, though he seems marginal in his governorship there - so I just don't know.

I still believe that in terms of optics, personality, and skillset, Newt was the man! Pence is a pretty blase' guy IMO, and not the fastest on his feet! He is conservative though, and perhaps for Trump that's enough. The billionaire may just keep the Indiana governor bottled-up on the sideline.

He helps him in Indiana and he helps him with the party leaders, and evangelicals. And will help him in the Oval office if he gets there.
I think I agree with the former of sentence, but not the latter; that's where he needs Newt.

He chose a fellow with governing experience, experience in the People's house and a TP conservative. That ticks a lot of boxes. The folks around here may not see it because for them anything Trump does is wrong, but for the voting public, that's a good pick.

Newt was the man! Pence is a pretty blase' guy IMO, and not the fastest on his feet! He is conservative though, and perhaps for Trump that's enough. The billionaire may just keep the Indiana governor bottled-up on the sideline.
Newt has plenty of negatives on his own, plus an ego nearly as big as Trump's. A VP pick should do no harm first and foremost. Pence fills that bill more or less.

But until the announcement is made, I won't believe anything from "anonymous sources" regarding Trump's VP pick or anything else Trump may or may not do in this campaign.

Pence is a Tea Bagger and a religionist. I realize that's redundant. He's pretty much opposed to anything that doesn't favor white, pro-life, corporate, straight, Christian, social control and surveillance.

In comparison, Christie is probably to the left of Pence.

The good news is that more and more conservatives are fed the hell up with Tea-bagging social engineering and religious stealth. I don't see the choice as helping Trump. It will likely be a wash.

So in other words people who are already voting for Trump?

Newt has plenty of negatives on his own, plus an ego nearly as big as Trump's. A VP pick should do no harm first and foremost. Pence fills that bill more or less.

But until the announcement is made, I won't believe anything from "anonymous sources" regarding Trump's VP pick or anything else Trump may or may not do in this campaign.
To the bolded: Good point.

But as member Risky Thicket also points-out in post #14 above: He's a T-Party theocrat, in marginal status in his own state.

Good qualities to shore-up the hard Right wing of the Repubs, but not so good for GOP moderates, Indies, and of course possible cross-over Dems.

I'm a left-leaning Indie original Bernie supporter, and I've backed-off on my Trump consideration for a plethora of reasons, and do admit my consideration for Trump was my anti-establishment/anti-Hillary credentials. Pence pretty much seals an already mostly sealed deal for me (to not vote Trump).

But as member Risky Thicket also points-out in post #14 above: He's a T-Party theocrat, in marginal status in his own state.

Good qualities to shore-up the hard Right wing of the Repubs, but not so good for GOP moderates, Indies, and of course possible cross-over Dems.
I think Trump has more to worry about on his right flank than his left. If conservatives stay home or vote 3rd party, Trump will lose states like Pennsylvania. Polls show that most Bernie voters will vote Democratic this year despite their disappointment and bitterness. That may change but Trump can't assume that he'll get many Bernie supporters no matter what he does.

I actually like Pence. Always did. I like him so much that I really hope he does NOT accept this offer (if it's true) from that orange faced menace.

Pence is a Tea Bagger and a religionist. I realize that's redundant. He's pretty much opposed to anything that doesn't favor white, pro-life, corporate, straight, Christian, social control and surveillance.

The good news is that more and more conservatives are fed the hell up with Tea-bagging social engineering and religious stealth. I don't see the choice as helping Trump. It will likely be a wash.

Wow, can you be more incorrect about Pence, Tea Party or Conservatives if you TRIED? Holy ****, you sound like a damned bigot from the old south in one of those movies with the level of misinformed, ignorant hate you just spewed, maybe you should take a lifetime off politics.

Yes Christie is to the left of Pence. He's to the left of most Republicans, which is why he's so fond of Trump (who is also to the left of Atilla the Hun).

Pence is a born again Christian. Too focused on things like abortion and all of that for my tastes, but I like the guy. Former Democrat. Changed by Reagan. I don't see him being a racist at all, though. What specifically makes you think he supports anything that favors "white" people?

Yeah, but does Trump have any solid stances? I think he just tells people what he thinks they want to hear.

Back
Top Bottom