• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your vision for the perfect form of airport/flight security

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What would you say your perfect form of airport security would be? I know many dislike what the TSA is doing (including myself), so I was wondering what each individual thinks the perfect system for airport and flight security would be. If you were in charge what would you do? What do you think would be practical and cost effective? Are you satisfied with the current system? Would you tweak the current system? I am still formulating what I would view as a good system, but I would like to hear what others have to put forward as well.

I would really like to use the Israeli system. Most of that system is based on interviewing people before they go into the airport and once again when they're in the airport. Their training is based on recognizing suspicious activity and behavior.

Unfortunately, that would require that we'd have to actually train people to be skilled in interviewing people, and that we'd have to actually pay them a wage befitting that training instead of cutting costs by using equipment that those who sell it says can do all the work which any guy off the street can be paid a low wage to use.

Then again, I don't know how relevant I am to this discussion since I've never flown in an airplane, and never really want to either. It seems to be, however, that a lot of people in American somehow feel entitled to having having airplane flights suit them. I have no idea why on earth anybody would choose to fly. But, then again, that's because I love to drive and see the sights and take my time with things.

Scrap all the extra security measures. Sniff luggage for bombs, put two armed agents on every flight, and resign ourselves to the fact that we're going to lose a plane every once in a while.

What would you say your perfect form of airport security would be? I know many dislike what the TSA is doing (including myself), so I was wondering what each individual thinks the perfect system for airport and flight security would be. If you were in charge what would you do? What do you think would be practical and cost effective? Are you satisfied with the current system? Would you tweak the current system? I am still formulating what I would view as a good system, but I would like to hear what others have to put forward as well.

A gas compartment in the plane that knocks everyone out if there is foul play. The stewards can then take care of any problem and the pilot is free to land the plane if necessary. Rebreathers should be bulky enough that they can be detected at security stations.

As far as cargo, pretty much what we are doing now.

Last edited:

1. Profile Middle Eastern men and submit them to the highest security protocol we have in place....which, right now, would be body scans or pat downs.
  2. Train TSA agents in conversational profiling and layer that over what we're currently doing.
  3. Face coverings not allowed.
  4. Anyone in flowing robes -- See #1
  5. Mega's idea of knockout gas in the plane sounds great to me.
  6. No carry-on luggage.
  7. Plus random screening as we're doing now.

1. Profile Middle Eastern men and submit them to the highest security protocol we have in place....which, right now, would be body scans or pat downs.

Just on this, (I agree with the rest) I don't understand how it could work, the last person who tried detonating a bomb was African, and isn't part of the argument against the scanners radiations levels? Why subject people to a higher risk of cancer simply because of their race, regardless of if they're Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Jew, or Zoroastrianist?

Just on this, (I agree with the rest) I don't understand how it could work, the last person who tried detonating a bomb was African, and isn't part of the argument against the scanners radiations levels? Why subject people to a higher risk of cancer simply because of their race, regardless of if they're Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Jew, or Zoroastrianist?

You've made me rethink #1. Here's what I'd say: Recognized profiling experts should put together various profiles and those groups should be screened to the maximum.

Now, if we can believe what they tell us, which I recognize may not be entirely true, the full body scanners use back-scatter technology...much less radiation than a dental x-ray. This link says that the TSA's body scan exposes one to .1 millirems; a dental x-ray exposes one to .2 millirems. I think it's important to remember, also, that airline pilots, as well as flight attendants, are subject to these scans as well. (I understand there's a movement afoot to exempt pilots.....) And, of course, there's a body scan...the "fast" way...and then there's the pat down...so one can take their pick. TSA body scans: how much radiation are you getting?

naked_air.jpg

Of course this form of flight security would get everybody's panties in a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom