• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

What are your views on euthanasia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide?

• Total voters

Johnny

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
In my opinion, euthanisia and assisted should be legal.
I am also against hospitalizing people against their will for attempting suicide.

Whether or not we agree with something shouldn't be a reason to ban it. In a free society we are our owners.

It's my life. It's your life. As we have a right to our life that includes the right to end it if we feel it's necessary.

It is the role of government to protect or civil liberties. Not to protect us from ourselves.

The same can be said for many other laws.

Post your thoughts here.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure, someone who is driven to suicide should honestly seek counseling and psychological therapy, since there is obviously something wrong when you've been driven to commit suicide. It's the same principal that governs the logic behind when a mentally unstable person is deemed unable to care for themselves and put into an institution for their own protection. But I do think humanely putting someone out of their misery when treatment is futile is justified as well.

Last edited:
I agree that assisted suicide should be allowed, with some caveats...a peer or medical review of the request. Without thinking through all of the possibilities, the first few that come to mind would be that people with terminal illnesses should be able to request and receive permission in a timely manner. Others -- like those with disabilities or depression should have to adhere to a predetermined waiting period.

The "average serial killer" gets out of this life easier than many of the rest of us. (Lethal injection.) It's wrong to take away this very basic human right.

Oregon and WAshington already permit assisted suicide. North Carolina, Utah and Wyoming do not criminalize assisted suicide. Ohio's Supreme Court ruled in 1996 that assisted suicide is not a crime. Virginia imposes civil, not criminal, sanctions for assisted suicide.

Nine states specifically criminalize assisted suicides through "common law": Alabama, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, South Carolina, Vermont, West Virginia. Thirty-four states have statutes explicitly criminalizing assisted suicide: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin.

We're getting there, slowly but surely. http://www.euthanasia.com/bystate.html

I agree that assisted suicide should be allowed, with some caveats...a peer or medical review of the request. Without thinking through all of the possibilities, the first few that come to mind would be that people with terminal illnesses should be able to request and receive permission in a timely manner. Others -- like those with disabilities or depression should have to adhere to a predetermined waiting period.

I agree with this mostly, but not for disabilities and depression. Terminal illness, certainly, they should be allowed the option if they request it without being prompted. I think only in that case though.

I agree with this mostly, but not for disabilities and depression. Terminal illness, certainly, they should be allowed the option if they request it without being prompted. I think only in that case though.

We disagree, Redress. :-( I think anyone should be able to voluntarily commit suicide with assistance. This is especially true of those with psychological illness, as let's face it, they aren't curable only treatable. The only concern I have is for a psychologically disturbed patient to be under the influence of someone else encouraging they volunteer. SO there are rules:

As stated earlier in the thread...
Terminal patient: after a timely review and psychological interview for intent.
Minors: with a review, a psychological interview and parental or guardian consent
All other individuals: a review and psychological interview.

The psychological interview is to allow psychologically afflicted patients to pass. It is to eliminate external influence on the decision.

In my state of Oregon assisted suicide has been legal for several years. To be eligible two doctors must certify that the patient has 6 months or less to live and of sound mind. I support this but not euthanasia or suicide.

One result has been that after receiving the lethal drugs some patients have the will to last until the end knowing they could take the drugs at anytime.

As stated earlier in the thread...
Terminal patient: after a timely review and psychological interview for intent.
Minors: with a review, a psychological interview and parental or guardian consent
All other individuals: a review and psychological interview.

I could never EVER support assisted suicide for a minor. They aren't fully cooked yet. No way.

Yeah, I could probably go with the exclusion of depression since that can most often be managed with medication -- although certainly in some cases that's not possible.

But I think someone with profound disabilities that aren't terminal -- they should be allowed to die with dignity if they so choose. Thinking of quadraplegics....Lou Gehrig's Disease...some of those awful conditions.

I could never EVER support assisted suicide for a minor. They aren't fully cooked yet. No way.

Yeah, I could probably go with the exclusion of depression since that can most often be managed with medication -- although certainly in some cases that's not possible.

But I think someone with profound disabilities that aren't terminal -- they should be allowed to die with dignity if they so choose. Thinking of quadraplegics....Lou Gehrig's Disease...some of those awful conditions.

I agree 100 % with the first and second. The third scares me. I hate slippery slope arguments, but I think that is what I don't like in this case, where it could, maybe lead. I understand and respect your point, and don't 100 % disagree, it just scares me to go that far, if you follow what I am saying.

I don't see all suicidal people as being disturbed. Just because what their dealing with is "no big deal" to you doesn't mean it's too much for them to deal with.

That's just a thought to add to the discussion.

It is with parental consent. But it is the minor's choice. Arguments related to external influence apply. But I understand your objection. My main point is not minors, it is...

I agree 100 % with the first and second. The third scares me. I hate slippery slope arguments, but I think that is what I don't like in this case, where it could, maybe lead. I understand and respect your point, and don't 100 % disagree, it just scares me to go that far, if you follow what I am saying.

I personally have Bipolar type 1. Depressions totally suck. For many years I struggled and I still do, although I accept it more. There are times when I may have opted for assisted suicide.

However, my main point is that someone who is not terminally ill, seriously disabled, or psychologically afflicted - a normal healthy adult - should be able to choose to undergo assisted suicide. It should be a right.

I'm not quite sure, someone who is driven to suicide should honestly seek counseling and psychological therapy, since there is obviously something wrong when you've been driven to commit suicide. It's the same principal that governs the logic behind when a mentally unstable person is deemed unable to care for themselves and put into an institution for their own protection. But I do think humanely putting someone out of their misery when treatment is futile is justified as well.
Why is it obvious that someone has a mental porblem for wanting to end their life? Why is everyone so afraid of death?

It is with parental consent. But it is the minor's choice. Arguments related to external influence apply. But I understand your objection.
No problem. I understand. I just don't agree. There's been so much research done that our brains just aren't matured 'til a bit later, that I'd be much more comfortable if a person had to wait until they were "of age." Also, we all know how influential parents can be on a young person...brainwashing, if you will. It'd just scare me to death.

I personally have Bipolar type Depressions totally suck. For many years I struggled and I still do, although I accept it more. There are times when I may have opted for assisted suicide. However, my main point is that someone who is not terminally ill, seriously disabled, or psychologically afflicted - a normal healthy adult - should be able to choose to undergo assisted suicide. It should be a right.
In arguing from a 'purist' standpoint, I can understand. The one thing about depression and suicide is that it soooo often passes. One day one's at the very bottom of the barrel and feels they can't go on. The next, the depression has mellowed a bit and life is worth living again. I'm sorry that you are bi-polar. My favorite aunt was bi-polar. I think I can understand the depths of despair you sometimes endure. *Hug*

You all need to be careful what you wish for. Does anyone remember the old movie, "Soylent Green" starring the late Charleton Heston? That was a futuristic movie where old people were encouraged to go to a place, take a shot and die. Then their bodies were disposed of by the state, mandatory. There was a reason they wanted the bodies, though. You see the bodies were the main ingredient of the wonder food, Soylent Green. Far fetched? Well, I've seen some unusual things come down the pike in the last few years.

I have a friend who has alzheimers straight up the family tree for four generations. All I know is my mother (dad's not my real dad, mom is adopted) has Lewy Body Dementia. If I came to a time where my brain started leaving the building, I'd want out. I don't want to be in diapers. I don't want to be forever grasping for words and thoughts that are no longer in my reach. My mother was a brilliant woman. It hurts to see that kind of brain power just wander off.

We're lucky in that the rage she carried her whole life was eradicated by the disease. I'm afraid I'd have the opposite happen. What if my PTSD made me think somebody I loved was actually some other person who hurt me badly, back in the day?

I know I'm borrowing trouble. I don't fear anything of the sort - but my sister does. I want to decide when it's my time to go if this horrific disease is on the table.

In arguing from a 'purist' standpoint, I can understand. The one thing about depression and suicide is that it soooo often passes. One day one's at the very bottom of the barrel and feels they can't go on. The next, the depression has mellowed a bit and life is worth living again. I'm sorry that you are bi-polar. My favorite aunt was bi-polar. I think I can understand the depths of despair you sometimes endure. *Hug*

Clinical depression does not pass. However it can be reduced to the point of being asymptomatic(I believe that is the appropriate word...working from memory), ie the person does not feel depressed. Being in depression is not a day to day thing, it is every single day. Thankfully, in many cases, SSRI's and other meds can help. CC is the professional expert on the topic, and I am sure he will be along at some point and expand/correct this.

This. I think anyone with a terminal illness should have this option, but no one else.

I have a friend who has alzheimers straight up the family tree for four generations. All I know is my mother (dad's not my real dad, mom is adopted) has Lewy Body Dementia. If I came to a time where my brain started leaving the building, I'd want out. I don't want to be in diapers. I don't want to be forever grasping for words and thoughts that are no longer in my reach. My mother was a brilliant woman. It hurts to see that kind of brain power just wander off.

We're lucky in that the rage she carried her whole life was eradicated by the disease. I'm afraid I'd have the opposite happen. What if my PTSD made me think somebody I loved was actually some other person who hurt me badly, back in the day?

I know I'm borrowing trouble. I don't fear anything of the sort - but my sister does. I want to decide when it's my time to go if this horrific disease is on the table.

If your brain had left the building, how would you know that you wanted out of this life? For that matter how would you even know you were in diapers?

An overweight friend of mine had a stroke, once. He was recovering rather nicely when he slipped in the bathtub and broke both his legs. It was so bad for them, that his wife couldn't help him because of his immense weight. They eventually put him in a nursing home, just so he could receive therapy. Rather than try to lift him up to get him to a bathroom, they put diapers on him. He described to me how humiliating it was, but there was no other solution. For as long as I knew him, he had been fat. He passed away 5 years ago, but even in his debilitated condition, he never lost the will to live.

Last edited:
If your brain had left the building, how would you know that you wanted out of this life? For that matter how would you even know you were in diapers?

An overweight friend of mine had a stroke, once. He was recovering rather nicely when he slipped in the bathtub and broke both his legs. It was so bad for them, that his wife couldn't help him because of his immense weight. They eventually put him in a nursing home, just so he could receive therapy. Rather than try to lift him up to get him to a bathroom, they put diapers on him. He described to me how humiliating it was, but there was no other solution. For as long as I knew him, he had been fat. He passed away 5 years ago, but even in his debilitated condition, he never lost the will to live.

This is a decision that would be put into writing well before the person lost their mind.

terminal illness yes, anything else, no, i mean, what would emo teenagers do if contemplating suicide was no longer seen as rebellious, they'd have to start threatening to eat part of their own livers or something.

I wanted to point out one thing quick that I mentioned in passing earlier, and do want to actually emphasize. I do not think people should be questioned or encouraged to commit any form of suicide. I think in the cases allowed, the person has to be the one to bring up the subject. A doctor should never go "do you want to suicide?"

This is a decision that would be put into writing well before the person lost their mind.

That's all well and good, but what if this person has a change of heart and then considers life sacred?

My father-in-law smoked for a long time. Then right before I married his daughter, he and his wife both decided to quit smoking. He hadn't smoked in 20 years, but the damage was already done. He also was on dialysis. In fact, for 15 years. When he got sick, the doctor told him he would need surgery on his lungs, but there was an 80% probability, considering the damage that had been done over the years from smoking, that the surgery wouldn't work. It was then that he made the decision to stop his dialysis. Of course, the family and all his friends tried to talk him out of it, but he was 80 years old, a WWII veteran, and had lived a good life. There was no convincing him. He eventually went to a hospice and died peacefully. Right before the kidneys took him out completely, they sedated him so that he didn't suffer. That was his decision, even though no one wanted him to carry through with it.

Last edited:
If someone wants to end their life, the government has no right in trying to stop that.

A person shouldn't need a reason. It's their life.

I wouldn't mind legal assisted suicide for permanent conditions (i.e. terminal illness). If you're going to die, you might as well do it peacefully.

I am definitely, definitely against assisted suicide for depression cases. It is a permanent "solution" to a temporary problem, and pretty much all depressed people who are stopped by others from killing themselves are later glad that they didn't go through with it. I hate the idea of doctors being able to take advantage of someone's mental disorder, for profit nonetheless. And frankly, anyone who thinks that it's "their own business" ought to talk to the families of suicide victims. Not to mention the questionable mental state of anyone who seriously attempts suicide; most attempts, though, are just desperate cries for help and don't succeed.

Back
Top Bottom