• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Top 3 Books

Cisero

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I'm looking for new material to read. What 3 books (or book series) do you think should be on everyones MUST READ list ?
Let me begin :

The Kiterunner - Khaled Hosseini (2003)
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver (1998)
Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling (1997-2007)

'Flowers for Algernon'. ( a classic)

'Salem's Lot'. ( I'm not a huge King fan but this was 1 of his 1st books and it is a lot of fun to read)

Recently ' The Martian'. It got too technical sometimes, but a good book. The film was good, but not nearly as good as the book. (no surprise, right?. The movies are never as good)

There are simply too many to qualify.

The best advice I could ever give in this respect is 'keep reading'.

There are simply too many to qualify.

The best advice I could ever give in this respect is 'keep reading'.

You don't need to put the final 3 choices, I was only hoping for the first 3 that come to your mind :)

I'm looking for new material to read. What 3 books (or book series) do you think should be on everyones MUST READ list ?
Let me begin :

Sticking with Fantasy Fiction, the book series' I think should be on everyone's Must Read list:

JRR Tolkein's Silmarillion/Hobbit/LOTR
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.
Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (Book 3 has yet to come out)​

Alternative Highly Recommend Section includes:

Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle series (5th book has yet to come out)
Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy
Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy​

Sun Also Rises - Hemingway
This Side of Paradise - Fitzgerald
Where is Joe Merchant - Buffett

Sticking with Fantasy Fiction, the book series' I think should be on everyone's Must Read list:

I absolutely adored the Name Of The Wind. It's probably n° 4 on my list :)

IT WAS NIGHT AGAIN. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts. The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind it would have sighed through the trees, set the inn's sign creaking on its hooks, and brushed the silence down the road like trailing autumn leaves. If there had been a crowd, even a handful of men inside the inn, they would have filled the silence with conversation and laughter, the clatter and clamor one expects from a drinking house during the dark hours of night. If there had been music .. . but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.

Inside the Waystone a pair of men huddled at one corner of the bar. They drank with quiet determination, avoiding serious discussions of troubling news. In doing this they added a small, sullen silence to the larger, hollow one. It made an alloy of sorts, a counterpoint.

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened for an hour, you might begin to feel it in the wooden floor underfoot and in the rough, splintering barrels behind the bar. It was in the weight of the black stone hearth that held the heat of a long dead fire. It was in the slow back and forth of a white linen cloth rubbing along the grain of the bar. And it was in the hands of the man who stood there, polishing a stretch of mahogany that already gleamed in the lamplight.

The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes from knowing many things.

The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn's ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

Epic intro.
I should read Robin Hobb, I've heard great things about her.

Depends on what type we are talking about. Judging from the direction the thread is going I will assume we are going with entertaining reads. I definitely agree with "The Martian" and "Harry Potter" but those have already been taken. So I will say, off the top of my head:

"It" - I absolutely love Stephen King. I know some book snobs turn their nose up at him because he is "popular" but **** them. The man can tell a story and "It" is my favorite of his stories. I am currently reading it for the third time in about 30 years.
"Ender's Game" - The series didn't hold my attention but the first book is just perfect as a stand alone and is a classic for a reason.
"Replay" - by Ken Grimwood. Likely the least known of my three. It is about a man who dies at the age of 43 and then wakes up in the past at 18 years old, with a chance to live his life again with the knowledge of what is to come. When he hits 43 years old again the same thing happens! This happens again and again. Really fun book. I think I read it straight through in a day.

Lol, I see we have very similar taste in reading. I think Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles was one of the best pieces of literature I've ever read. I'm currently on book three of Hobb's Tawny Man Trilogy, and loving it. I plowed through the Farseer Trilogy like nobody's business. I'll have to check out some of your other recommendations. :)

You don't need to put the final 3 choices, I was only hoping for the first 3 that come to your mind :)

Hyperion Cantos -Dan Simmons
Meditations - March Aurelius
White Hotel - D.M. Thomas

Last edited:
Depends on what type we are talking about. Judging from the direction the thread is going I will assume we are going with entertaining reads. I definitely agree with "The Martian" and "Harry Potter" but those have already been taken. So I will say, off the top of my head:

"It" - I absolutely love Stephen King. I know some book snobs turn their nose up at him because he is "popular" but **** them. The man can tell a story and "It" is my favorite of his stories. I am currently reading it for the third time in about 30 years.
"Ender's Game" - The series didn't hold my attention but the first book is just perfect as a stand alone and is a classic for a reason.
"Replay" - by Ken Grimwood. Likely the least known of my three. It is about a man who dies at the age of 43 and then wakes up in the past at 18 years old, with a chance to live his life again with the knowledge of what is to come. When he hits 43 years old again the same thing happens! This happens again and again. Really fun book. I think I read it straight through in a day.

Replay sounds interesting, adding that to my "want-to-read" list.
I've tried reading S. King (Cell, Carrie, the Dome) but never really got hooked. I have a copy of "It" at home, I'll probably give it a go one of these days.

Let me begin :

The Stand, Stephen King
The Godfather, Mario Puzo
Seven Habits of Hoghly Successful People, Stephen Covey

Epic intro.

If you like epic high fantasy, Hobb is right up there among the greats, IMHO.

Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (Book 3 has yet to come out)[/indent]

Great series. He is taking his sweet time on the third book, though. I like fantasy books where the magic system is "logical" and where the magic itself is understated.

The Complete Sherlock Homes

Any of Tolkien's books but just re-read The Silmarillion

CMOS cookbook

Epic intro.

He's the only author I would directly compare to Tolkien for the ability to create an "old" world, where you really feel that you are stepping in at the end of a long, long story, rather than a new story with a backdrop.

Have you read The Slow Regard of Silent Things?

She will suck you in. Fair Warning; the Assassin Series is one of those that leaves you exhausted, as is the Night Angel trilogy.

William Faulkner- The Snopes Trilogy (actually 3 books)
John Steinbeck- The Grapes of Wrath
Ernest Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises

He's the only author I would directly compare to Tolkien for the ability to create an "old" world, where you really feel that you are stepping in at the end of a long, long story, rather than a new story with a backdrop.

Have you read The Slow Regard of Silent Things?

She will suck you in. Fair Warning; the Assassin Series is one of those that leaves you exhausted, as is the Night Angel trilogy.

Haven't read it. I do have it at home though.
I wish days lasted 37 hours, there are so many books to read :shock:

Lol, I see we have very similar taste in reading. I think Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles was one of the best pieces of literature I've ever read. I'm currently on book three of Hobb's Tawny Man Trilogy, and loving it. I plowed through the Farseer Trilogy like nobody's business. I'll have to check out some of your other recommendations. :)

I delayed Tawny Man after Farseer Trilogy left me sleep-deprived. I have to plan my reading where I know I'm going to get sucked in like that, but I had to read the Fitz and the Fool series (still coming out) as well as the Dragon series. Hobb is fantastic, though I think I will save her Liveship series for a later date.

Whoops. Almost forgot.

If you're looking for someone easily on the level of Tolkein, but who creates an entire new universe out of whole cloth, you need to check Mr. Maximum Utmost, Gene Wolfe and his "Book of the New Sun" series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_New_Sun

Severian the torturer's apprentice is like no one else in literature.

I delayed Tawny Man after Farseer Trilogy left me sleep-deprived. I have to plan my reading where I know I'm going to get sucked in like that, but I had to read the Fitz and the Fool series (still coming out) as well as the Dragon series. Hobb is fantastic, though I think I will save her Liveship series for a later date.

I hear what you're saying, they are definite page turners. I wanted to go in chronological order, but just couldn't get into Liveship Traders, so I skipped ahead to Tawny Man. I plan to go right into Fitz and The Fool. I'm sure I'll have to check out the Dragon series at some point, as well.

Whoops. Almost forgot.

If you're looking for someone easily on the level of Tolkein, but who creates an entire new universe out of whole cloth, you need to check Mr. Maximum Utmost, Gene Wolfe and his "Book of the New Sun" series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_New_Sun

Severian the torturer's apprentice is like no one else in literature.

Oh boy. This looks like a treat. I love discovering new universes (don't we all ?).

This thread is gonna give me reading material for the next couple of years :D

Back
Top Bottom