• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your thoughts on Agnostics

That is not what I've been talking about. I have been discussing knowledge; I thought you were too. As a matter of fact I've even so much as mentioned that twice previously; referring to knowledge about a subject, and not whether it's valid/true or not. Anyway, back to knowledge... one can have knowledge of a subject whether it's fictional or non-fictional.

Yes, knowledge. Not claims. Not ideas. Knowledge. I even produced the definition of it. You can have knowledge of what it says in a Harry Potter book. The books are real. You cannot have knowledge of a real Hogwarts. Hogwarts is not real.

Sure it is. It tells me a lot about them. Not everything I need to know about elves, but certainly everything I need to know about orcs. :)

I'm having a hard time understanding (irony alert) why this is so hard to digest.

OM

No it tells you a lot about how Tolkien envisioned them.

You dont know anything about God no one does.
What you know is what the Bible says about God there is a difference it is rather subtle but it is important. there are many who dont understand that difference.

You cannot have knowledge of a real Hogwarts. Hogwarts is not real.

You just moved the goal posts. I never said I had knowledge of a real Taranis; only that I had knowledge of Taranis. Same with your Hogwarts analogy. This is now the 5th time I've had to redirect you (and others) away from that continual straw man of an argument.

OM

You just moved the goal posts. I never said I had knowledge of a real Taranis; only that I had knowledge of Taranis. This is now the 5th time I've had to redirect you (and others) away from that continual straw man of an argument.

You have knowledge of claims made about Taranis. You do not have knowledge of any real Taranis.

No it tells you a lot about how Tolkien envisioned them.

You dont know anything about God no one does.
What you know is what the Bible says about God there is a difference it is rather subtle but it is important. there are many who dont understand that difference.

Now you're learning. Yes, Tolkien was the source of the knowledge about orcs.

OM

You have knowledge of claims made about Taranis. You do not have knowledge of any real Taranis.

Again, moving the goal posts. And for the 6th time, allow me to (again) point out for you that I'm discussing knowledge about subject; not whether a subject is non-fictional vs. fictional.

OM

That would be non-fiction.

No, I specifically said fiction. You always struck me as a reasonable, well-learned man. To hear you claim that fiction cannot be a source of knowledge... is... well... not what I would have expected.

OM

Again, moving the goal posts. And for the 6th time, allow me to (again) point out for you that I'm discussing knowledge about subject; not whether a subject is non-fictional vs. fictional.

But you're changing the idea from knowledge about a subject, to knowledge about the object of that subject. You can read all the books on Taranis you want. You can read all the claims people have made about Taranis you'd like. None of that actually refers to a real Taranis. You know about the claims. You don't know about the actual entity.

I know a few things about Orcs that Tolkien didn't know.

Splendid. Put them in writing, and publish for the world to see. Share this additional knowledge you would endeavor to contribute to the orc mythos.

OM

No, I specifically said fiction. You always struck me as a reasonable, well-learned man. To hear you claim that fiction cannot be a source of knowledge... is... well... not what I would have expected.

OM

It all depends on what one means by knowledge. I know that fiction is not true.

Splendid. Put them in writing, and publish for the world to see. Share this additional knowledge you would endeavor to contribute to the orc mythos.

OM

And our knowledge about Orcs would be extended.

But you're changing the idea from knowledge about a subject, to knowledge about the object of that subject. You can read all the books on Taranis you want. You can read all the claims people have made about Taranis you'd like. None of that actually refers to a real Taranis. You know about the claims. You don't know about the actual entity.

Who said anything about the "real" Taranis? Taranis, according to the knowledge I've received on him, is fictional. Again, you keep fixating on this whole "real vs. fictional" element. Knowledge about a subject has nothing to do with whether the subject is fictional vs. non fictional.

OM

It all depends on what one means by knowledge. I know that fiction is not true.

Bingo. You just exhibited knowledge gleaned from fiction. You know it's not true.

OM

Who said anything about the "real" Taranis? Taranis, according to the knowledge I've received on him, is fictional. Again, you keep fixating on this whole "real vs. fictional" element. Knowledge about a subject has nothing to do with whether the subject is fictional vs. non fictional.

Fine, then you don't know about Taranis. You know about the myths told about Taranis. Glad we could clear that up for you.

I read fiction to relax. I read non-fiction for knowledge.

Fine, then you don't know about Taranis. You know about the myths told about Taranis. Glad we could clear that up for you.

To be fair, he has knowledge about the myth of Taranis, but he would have read that in a non-fiction book.

I know plenty about Taranis. Probably more than you, even.

OM

Back
Top Bottom