• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your term for sweetened, nonalcoholic carbonated beverages

What do you call them?

• Total voters
Eh.....maybe. Lived mostly in NC and VA. Never, ever heard the subject beverage generally called Coke...unless you were referring to Coca-Cola. In fact, the Piedmont section of NC is heavy on the Pepsi when I was there. It was fighin' words to call it otherwise.

Soda. That's what I know it as.

But cool graphic! Thanks!
Soda is used in NC (got the weirdest looks calling it pop). Pepsi and Cheerwine, born in NC.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Depends on what part of the country you live in. It's pop in the west, soda in the east.

What country is that because in CA I have really only ever it called soda. 35 years.

Soda or simply the name of the drink... I never really hear people saying, 'can I have a soda, but I have heard people saying 'can I have a coke/mountain dew/root beer/etc.'

Also, I learned I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi in Japan because I can't speak Japanese (I was also almost sent to the hospital by a couple of sweet old Japanese ladies within that same meal for pretty much the same reason). I asked for a Coke, and the waitress tried to say something to me, couldn't understand, she tried again, still didn't know, she gave up and came back with a caramel colored drink a few minutes later, I took a sip and figured out they had Pepsi and thats what she was trying to tell me.

Growing up in Georgia it was always Coke. It makes sense as Coca Cola originated and is based in Atlanta.

I lived in North Carolina twice for a long time. Often Coke was the preferred term. A second term, less often used, and probably more common among long time NC people was "cold drink."

"Marynell, I'm fixing to go to the store and get me a cold drink and a pack of nabs. Y'all want anything?" Nabs was a local term for cheese crackers with peanut butter filling, preferably Lance crackers.

"Too Tall, see can you run back to the house and get me a cold drink and some more Tube Rose (snuff)."

What term do you give sweetened, nonalcoholic carbonated beverages?

Soda - because I'm from the upper Midwest where everyone else in the country expects me to say 'pop' like some dolt who just fell off a turnip truck but I don't want to give them that pleasure...

I also use 'soda pop'.

I should add that I don't drink it by any name because it's disgusting, so rarely do I have reason to use the word.

Soda is used in NC (got the weirdest looks calling it pop). Pepsi and Cheerwine, born in NC.
(where's the heart emoji when you need it)

I love Cheerwine. As a treat (or when he's in the doghouse), Hubs buys it for me in the bottle from our local (and very old school) grocer. Lot cheaper than a dozen roses...but more rare. And more to the heart.

(where's the heart emoji when you need it)

I love Cheerwine. As a treat (or when he's in the doghouse), Hubs buys it for me in the bottle from our local (and very old school) grocer. Lot cheaper than a dozen roses...but more rare. And more to the heart.

Cheerwine, Sun Drop, and Yoohoo. :thumbs:

I grew up in Kansas, which is solid pop country. Now that I live in Tennessee, I drink soda.
Shortly after I moved to the South, I was asked by a friendly grocery store employee if he could help me find anything. "I'm just looking for pop," I replied. He paused for a second, then led me up and down a couple of aisles, then finally stopped and pointed at the microwave popcorn. "Here you are!"

Now, which parts of the country use "tennis shoes" vs. "sneakers"?

Cheerwine, Sun Drop, and Yoohoo. :thumbs:
I missed Cheerwine while in the Navy. Now its a bit too sweet to have a whole bottle, but I still grab the freebie at the state fair and/or GottaBeNC festival (when we dont have covid19, stupid virus). That's one of the few times my kids can have pop/soda (compromise) too, since its just a small cup.

Sun Drop burns. My father loves it though.

Where I come from, it is always pop. Somewhere else in the country, it is always soda. That is, unless you are at a restaurant, where they are always called soft drinks (along with milk and juice).

Coke is nothing more than one brand of pop/soda.

BTW there is nothing sweet about pop. If you want a sugary drink, put sugar in it.

Where I come from, it is always pop. Somewhere else in the country, it is always soda. That is, unless you are at a restaurant, where they are always called soft drinks (along with milk and juice).

Coke is nothing more than one brand of pop/soda.

BTW there is nothing sweet about pop. If you want a sugary drink, put sugar in it.

Simply more lies... but that is what we can expect.

when i was a kid, we pretty much called all carbonated beverages coke. i call them all soda now. my wife calls them all pop. we joke around about this regularly. we live in a region in which all of these terms are a thing.

Growing up in Georgia it was always Coke. It makes sense as Coca Cola originated and is based in Atlanta.

I lived in North Carolina twice for a long time. Often Coke was the preferred term. A second term, less often used, and probably more common among long time NC people was "cold drink."

"Marynell, I'm fixing to go to the store and get me a cold drink and a pack of nabs. Y'all want anything?" Nabs was a local term for cheese crackers with peanut butter filling, preferably Lance crackers.

"Too Tall, see can you run back to the house and get me a cold drink and some more Tube Rose (snuff)."

Dr. Pepper originated in Waco, Texas, but everyone here calls it and all other flavors Coke.

I've never heard of "Nabs", which sounds like an abbreviation for Nabisco, who doesn't own Lance. I love those but prefer the Austin brand.

Soda and Pop used to be conjoined at the hyphen.

Dr. Pepper originated in Waco, Texas, but everyone here calls it and all other flavors Coke.

I've never heard of "Nabs", which sounds like an abbreviation for Nabisco, who doesn't own Lance. I love those but prefer the Austin brand.

Soda and Pop used to be conjoined at the hyphen.

You nailed it. Nabisco is where the Nab name began and I guess at some point Nabs became the unofficial name for Lance peanut butter cheese crackers, at least in North Carolina.

Also, I could drink buckets of Diet Dr. Pepper.

As a kid in England we'd say fizzy drinks.

Now living in the US I say soda.

What term do you give sweetened, nonalcoholic carbonated beverages?

Voted "soft drink", but I think I've spent so long around Americans online or watching American movies I may even use the word "beverage" occasionally. It's like how I've stopped saying "nappies" as we Brits do and use the American "diaper" instead. I realised "drinking the cool aid" is another american term I wouldn't otherwise use as a brit.

Back
Top Bottom