• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Your religion

What realigion do you follow or believe, if any?

• Christian

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Jewish

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Catholic

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Mormon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • atheism

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Scientologist

• Jehovah's Witnesses

• other

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

saffron

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Maybe this question has already been polled. If so, sorry. What religion do you follow or believe, if any?

None, I'm an atheist. This is because of human nature's way of trying to explain how everything came to be, the unexplainable, and for people's hope for something out of a pointless life. And its just an illogical notion to me. And how religion has been constantly been proven wrong throughout history. Weighing all the facts, I just don't see how there can be a God. But that's just my opinion.

I can only call myself Gnostic.

I have no better description. I suppose I believe srictly in two natures.. controlled by a Demiurge.

Do you realize most of the religions up ther are Christian denominations?

Catholics are Christian
Mormons are Christian
Christians are Christian

Its also strange that there are no Pagan religions up there.

I'm currently agnostic, though I have been researching Wicca.

I don't think I can allow myself to vote on this one, as there are weird overlaps. There are several Christian denominations listed, which somehow seems to exclude them from the option "Christian." That seems a biased and misleading poll.

The way you have the question worded, "atheism" shouldn't be a choice, the choice should be "none".

Having atheism listed as you do, it seems that you are calling it a religion.

steen said:
I don't think I can allow myself to vote on this one, as there are weird overlaps. There are several Christian denominations listed, which somehow seems to exclude them from the option "Christian." That seems a biased and misleading poll.

I don't think it's biased. Saffron is a young lady and perhaps not well versed on the grand issue of religion. However it does serve to represent the American belief as an overwhelming number of Americans are Christian. Albeit I am not. Nevertheless I don't think that bias is an issue. I think that Saffron had good intentions when posting this.

MrFungus420 said:
The way you have the question worded, "atheism" shouldn't be a choice, the choice should be "none".

I'm not trying to but heads but I can't see how atheism can be declassified as a non-religion. Atheists may still believe in supernatural power... that which is the crutch of religious belief.

MrFungus420 said:

Not everything has to be politically correct, lol. People know what she means, get off her back. Like conflict said, she had good intentions...If you had a different religion, you can just put "Other" and explain your religion anyway.

I am teh Jew. W00t. :mrgreen:

I was raised Catholic but with the recent priest scandals it caused me to re evaluate my religion. I believe in God and all that but not so much the concept of "church" More of a personal spiritual thing.

americanwoman said:
I was raised Catholic but with the recent priest scandals it caused me to re evaluate my religion. I believe in God and all that but not so much the concept of "church" More of a personal spiritual thing.
So... your like a Deist?

I put Christan, raised catholic and around 6th grade I started to question about the purpose of having saint's feasts days, holy days of obligation, and most of the other things that the Catholic church does. (Not including the sex thing).

I do have one problem with your poll, you have Islam listed under other. This is lust personal preference but I tend to put the second largest choice available as its own option.

americanwoman said:
What is a Deist?
Not sure exactly, I dont know the Definition... Look it up.

Noun 1. deist - a person who believes that God created the universe and then abandoned it
freethinker
nonreligious person - a person who does not manifest devotion to a deity

I would not say I'm a Deist because I do not think God has abandoned us.

Hornburger said:
None, I'm an atheist. This is because of human nature's way of trying to explain how everything came to be, the unexplainable, and for people's hope for something out of a pointless life. And its just an illogical notion to me. And how religion has been constantly been proven wrong throughout history. Weighing all the facts, I just don't see how there can be a God. But that's just my opinion.

I totally agree.

I don't consider "atheism" as being a religion. I checked that as my answer, but I am an atheist, plain and simple.

Conflict said:
I don't think it's biased. Saffron is a young lady and perhaps not well versed on the grand issue of religion. However it does serve to represent the American belief as an overwhelming number of Americans are Christian. Albeit I am not. Nevertheless I don't think that bias is an issue. I think that Saffron had good intentions when posting this.
So, if you are a catholic, would you answer "Catholic," or would you answer "Christian"? The poll seems to say that you can only be one of them?

steen said:
So, if you are a catholic, would you answer "Catholic," or would you answer "Christian"? The poll seems to say that you can only be one of them?
Then you'd vote Catholic I guess, it's more specific.

I am an atheist, but I'm also fond of Unitarian Universalism, which is basically just religous tolerance towards all religions.

I was raised, Lutheran, went to an agnostic at about age 10, 2 yrs. later an atheist.

I believe that over time, many of generation X and Y and so on will turn to atheism. It's becoming much more popular than it had been in the past.

Back
Top Bottom