• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your predictions? Here are mine!

T

time4tea

I believe the GOP picks up 45-50 house seats, and 7-9 Senate seats as of today. I also see an upward trend in GOP Governors. Anyone have thoughts or predictions?

My prediction; We're still ****ed, we will still be stolen from and the state will still grow abit only slower.

Im willing to put up money as well if anyone is up for it.

I think you are being extremely optimistic....I predict the figures will be about 1/2 of what you are hoping for.

I agree with disneydude. I definitely think that the Democrats will lose seats in the House, but not enough for a majority, and they definitely won't overtake the Senate, maybe gain 1-3 seats at most.

While there may be an upswing in GOP governors, remember that governors only execute laws, not write them, and governors are limited to the state. How the citizens of a state want their state laws executed can be vastly different from how the citizens of a state want their federal laws written. While citizens of a state want efficiency in their state government, which GOP governors can provide, they may not necessarily want the amount of reduction in federal services that GOP Congressmen and Senators may try to enact.

The Dems will lose 80 seats.

I am going to bet on Repubs picking up 7 to 8 in the senate, just shy of getting a majority. In the house, repubs pick up 40 to 50 and a majority.

I think the Dems lose both their House and Senate majorities. Not by enough to block a filibuster though.

I also think that unless the President scales back his agenda, starts seriously trying to address unemployment, works more on the deficit, stops blaming the previous administration for all his woes and starts taking some responsibility, he's a one-termer. If his base gets any smaller, he could end up with a fight just to win the nomination for 2012.

I think the Dems lose both their House and Senate majorities. Not by enough to block a filibuster though.

I also think that unless the President scales back his agenda, starts seriously trying to address unemployment, works more on the deficit, stops blaming the previous administration for all his woes and starts taking some responsibility, he's a one-termer. If his base gets any smaller, he could end up with a fight just to win the nomination for 2012.

And what, exactly, President Obama's agenda?

And what, exactly, President Obama's agenda?
Agenda | Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team
He bit off more than he can chew. He is stretching his 'power', so to speak, in too many directions, with the end result that either things don't get done or they get done poorly. His dismal approval ratings and those of the Democratic majority show that the voters are less than satisfied with the way the President is running this country.

Had he not tried to work out such an ambitious agenda, maybe stuck with the economy and unemployment, the economy (and his approvals) would not be in the toilet right now.

Agenda | Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team
He bit off more than he can chew. He is stretching his 'power', so to speak, in too many directions, with the end result that either things don't get done or they get done poorly. His dismal approval ratings and those of the Democratic majority show that the voters are less than satisfied with the way the President is running this country.

Had he not tried to work out such an ambitious agenda, maybe stuck with the economy and unemployment, the economy (and his approvals) would not be in the toilet right now.

No, the economy would still be where it's at right now. It wasn't Obama who had an ambitious agenda, it was businesses who had it well before him. The economy isn't because of anything that Obama did, or that Bush did. The economy is crapsack because we've been living on debt while businesses have neglected to raise wages to meet it. This is what created the credit bubble, and why the economy sucks right now.

None of that is Obama's fault, and Bush isn't as responsible as people think. Even so, hyperpartisan hacks will take advantage of of all this crap.

No, the economy would still be where it's at right now. It wasn't Obama who had an ambitious agenda, it was businesses who had it well before him. The economy isn't because of anything that Obama did, or that Bush did. The economy is crapsack because we've been living on debt while businesses have neglected to raise wages to meet it. This is what created the credit bubble, and why the economy sucks right now.

None of that is Obama's fault, and Bush isn't as responsible as people think. Even so, hyperpartisan hacks will take advantage of of all this crap.
Wait wait wait, hold on, we are living on debt, and it's the companies fault for not raising the wages?

Wait wait wait, hold on, we are living on debt, and it's the companies fault for not raising the wages?

It's either the fault of the management of companies for not raising wages or it's the fault of the government for not raising taxes on the wealthiest in order to relieve the middle class and the poor of the burden to pay taxes so they can use their income for other things. Or it's the fault of both companies and the government for not regulating the credit market better. Both share the blame, in my opinion.

House will have a Republican majority, but only by four or five seats. Senate will stay as a Democratic majority, but only by two or three seats.

samsmart said:

Yeah... that seems a bit of an odd statement to me too.

Really? I'm not crazy about him. I'll change it to 79 seats :)

so you follow the mid terms that closely? which of the seats to you figure reps will pick up? i'm interested.

I think it's our fault. If you don't have the money, don't spend it, I don't give a **** how little you get paid.

Pennsylvania,West Virginia, Illinois,Indiana,Wisconsin, No.Dakota, Arkansas - GOP Senate Pickups with Missouri,Florida,Ohio, New Hampshire staying in the GOP column. Only current GOP seat in Jeopardy is Kentucky. Colorado either way.

Reid,Boxer & Murray survive barely.

GOP picks up 31 House seats.

28 days out.

so you follow the mid terms that closely? which of the seats to you figure reps will pick up? i'm interested.

No I don't and I can't name the 79 seats we will win. I think we will win all that have been in the news or on DP except for O'Donnell and I'm not so sure she can beat the marxist but I hope she does.
79 was a guess, but I bet it's not far off given the enthusiasm of the (R's) (I's), Libertarians, and Tea Partiers to turn this train wreck around.
We'll see in NOV. :)

Pennsylvania,West Virginia, Illinois,Indiana,Wisconsin, No.Dakota, Arkansas - GOP Senate Pickups with Missouri,Florida,Ohio, New Hampshire staying in the GOP column. Only current GOP seat in Jeopardy is Kentucky. Colorado either way.

Reid,Boxer & Murray survive barely.

GOP picks up 31 House seats.

28 days out.

Errr, you do realize that Governor Crist, who was a Republican, is running for Senate as an Independent, and so will likely split the ticket with Mark Rubio, thus giving the plurality of votes to Kendrick Meeks, don't you?

Errr, you do realize that Governor Crist, who was a Republican, is running for Senate as an Independent, and so will likely split the ticket with Mark Rubio, thus giving the plurality of votes to Kendrick Meeks, don't you?

Rubio has a healthy lead over both.

No I don't and I can't name the 79 seats we will win. I think we will win all that have been in the news or on DP except for O'Donnell and I'm not so sure she can beat the marxist but I hope she does.
79 was a guess, but I bet it's not far off given the enthusiasm of the (R's) (I's), Libertarians, and Tea Partiers to turn this train wreck around.
We'll see in NOV. :)

Well, here's the issue. All of those different conservative factions may be vying with each other for those seats than they vie with the Democrats for them. This will likely lead to ticket splitting since only whoever has a plurality of votes will win those seats.

Under plurality voting systems, the conservatives may be their own worst enemy.

Back
Top Bottom