• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your opinion about the The Wall Street Journal

Your opinion?

• I'm a right leaning and like WSJ

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I'm a right leaning and do not like WSJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a left leaning and like WSJ

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I'm a left leaning and do not like WSJ

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

skq

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Wall Street Journal is the most-read daily newspaper in the US. What is your opinion about it?

The Wall Street Journal is the most-read daily newspaper in the US. What is your opinion about it?

Most-read? Really! Maybe on the beltway, but I for one have never even picked one up let alone read it. Same goes for all east coast newspapers. I wouldn't line a bird cage with any of them.

But you are mistaken...USA Today has the largest circulation in the US.

The three largest daily papers in terms of circulation are USA Today (about 3.2 million copies daily), the Wall St. journal (2.3m) and the NY Times (2.1m).

Is the on-line still a membership only? If so....highly over rated

I've had a very long on & off association with the WSJ.

My father worked in a bank, and get us kids interested in investing at a super young age: 9 & 10 years old!

The Journal *was* an excellent newspaper for not just financial news, but general news too.

Then Rupert Murdoch bought it, and like everything he touches it went to ****! Think Fox News, etc.

For daily circulation traditional newspapers, I prefer the NYT for its high quality of writing.

My father worked in a bank, and get us kids interested in investing at a super young age: 9 & 10 years old!

The Journal *was* an excellent newspaper for not just financial news, but general news too.

Then Rupert Murdoch bought it, and like everything he touches it went to ****! Think Fox News, etc.

For daily circulation traditional newspapers, I prefer the NYT for its high quality of writing.

So, what do you think went wrong, when Rupert Murdoch bought it?

I kinda like the WSJ but sadly, I also liked the buggy whip.:(

I cannot answer since I am neither left nor right 'leaning'.

There are millions of us you know.

ROTFLMAO...Totally priceless. Remember the NYT and reporters like Jayson Blair fabricating stories and Rick Bragg using other to further his career. How about the fake story about John McCain and a totally political trumped up affair with an intern....and don't forget Stephen Glass, another story fabricator.....

High quality....indeed.

ROTFLMAO...Totally priceless. Remember the NYT and reporters like Jayson Blair fabricating stories and Rick Bragg using other to further his career. How about the fake story about John McCain and a totally political trumped up affair with an intern....and don't forget Stephen Glass, another story fabricator.....

High quality....indeed.
Reread my post, and think.

I specifically chose the words and phrase I did to be as accurate as possible, attempting to avoid having someone who doesn't like the paper journalistically to start spouting off senselessly.

While I believe I chose correctly, I couldn't make it absolutely foolproof - and here you are!

So I'll reiterate:

The quality of writing in the NYT is as high or higher than any other daily (American English Language) newspaper I've ever see. Bar none!

If you chose to conflate that with other qualities like "journalistic integrity", "accuracy", etc., then that's a function of your miscomprehension.

It's the quality of the writing itself, I'm praising.

Why don't you read a few NYT articles, then compare them to the same articles in other hometown papers, and let me know what you think of the quality of the writing?

I can't say there is any newspaper I'm particular fond of. Probably the one I consider the most ethical is the Christian Science Monitor. The ones I consider totally divorced from any ethical concerns would be Donald Trump's favorite "The National Enquirer" and Sen. Clinton's favorite, "The New York Times."

I don't read any newspaper but I do read articles. The articles I read from the Wall Street Journal seem okay. I like Forbes magazine for some of their articles. I never read the Washington Post because they're not available to me on the net any longer.

Although it doesn't really matter, I'm a strong fiscal conservative, a strong supporter of the Constitution, and, in keeping with the Constitution, a social liberal.

Reread my post, and think.

I specifically chose the words and phrase I did to be as accurate as possible, attempting to avoid having someone who doesn't like the paper journalistically to start spouting off senselessly.

While I believe I chose correctly, I couldn't make it absolutely foolproof - and here you are!

So I'll reiterate:

The quality of writing in the NYT is as high or higher than any other daily (American English Language) newspaper I've ever see. Bar none!

If you chose to conflate that with other qualities like "journalistic integrity", "accuracy", etc., then that's a function of your miscomprehension.

It's the quality of the writing itself, I'm praising.

Why don't you read a few NYT articles, then compare them to the same articles in other hometown papers, and let me know what you think of the quality of the writing?

Since I don't read any east coast rag...I am guessing the NYT is on about equal footing with the National Enquirer in accuracy and reliable reporting, if the list of reporters I listed is up to your standard for quality.

I can't say there is any newspaper I'm particular fond of. Probably the one I consider the most ethical is the Christian Science Monitor. The ones I consider totally divorced from any ethical concerns would be Donald Trump's favorite "The National Enquirer" and Sen. Clinton's favorite, "The New York Times."

I don't read any newspaper but I do read articles. The articles I read from the Wall Street Journal seem okay. I like Forbes magazine for some of their articles. I never read the Washington Post because they're not available to me on the net any longer.

Although it doesn't really matter, I'm a strong fiscal conservative, a strong supporter of the Constitution, and, in keeping with the Constitution, a social liberal.

Trump most favorite read is the National Enquirer? Source of your information on this?

Since I don't read any east coast rag...I am guessing the NYT is on about equal footing with the National Enquirer in accuracy and reliable reporting, if the list of reporters I listed is up to your standard for quality.
You've never read it, but are criticizing it? :doh

Right.

Trump most favorite read is the National Enquirer? Source of your information on this?

I was being sarcastic, Antiquity, but it wasn't hard to find.

"Trump’s cozy relationship with publication may flow from his longtime friendship with David Pecker, CEO of American Media Inc, parent company of the Enquirer and RadarOnline.

In August, the New York Daily News reported that the Enquirer wasn’t going to dig deeply into Trump because of his relationship with Pecker. New York magazine noted Trump’s “alliance” with the Enquirer in October, and reported that the real estate mogul’s campaign was behind the Enquirer’s October story on Carson, who was then Trump’s top rival. The Trump campaign at the time denied it was the source.

Pecker, meanwhile, has been silent about his relationship with Trump. An American Media spokesman said Pecker was not available for an interview."
Donald Trump Boosts The National Enquirer As Likely Showdown With Hillary Clinton Looms

But for people like me who enjoying laughing at the National Enquirer I loved this part:

"In late September, the National Enquirer reported that Clinton was desperately sick, quoting sources who said “she’ll be dead in six months.”Clinton outlived the anonymous sources’ prognosis, but the likely Democratic presidential nominee can expect similarly dire headlines over the next six months, given the Enquirer’s record of attacking rivals of presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump.
Trump on Wednesday praised the Enquirer, which had most recently linked Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s father, Rafael, to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The national media ignored the bizarre JFK plot story for two weeks before Trump injected it into the news cycle Tuesday morning on Fox News, just as Indiana voters headed to the polls. And he kept defending the story, even after Cruz dropped out of the race.
“All I did was refer to it,” Trump said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Wednesday. “I’m just referring to an article that appeared. It has nothing to do with me. The National Enquirer gave you John Edwards. It gave you O.J. Simpson. It gave you many, many things. I mean, you can’t knock the National Enquirer. It’s brought many things to light.”
The Republican nominee’s fondness for the Enquirer makes sense, given the publication’s kid-glove treatment of him this election cycle with stories such as, “Donald Trump: The Man Behind The Legend!”

The legend. You have to laugh. The man behind the greasepaint and fright wig, perhaps.

Pecker and Donald are long time friends. Donald is in touch with the Pecker. That's more sarcasm, Antiquity. Actually just laughing at the clown.

I don't read it often, but when I do I always appreciate a not-completely-pants-on-head-insane conservative viewpoint.

Right Wing Jack Tissue paper.

i dont read it daily, but i have been reading it off and on for 25+ years

it is one of the few dailies that i can get actual investment news in, and without having to wade through other crap i dont need or want to see

i dont read it for the general news.....i read it for things happening in business all around the world

You've never read it, but are criticizing it? :doh

Right.

That is an easy question to answer....the NYT has a long history of mis-information reported by many many sources. Fact check is a very good source for information. But being a liberal like yourself and Hillary I guess facts and truth don't really matter.

I don't read it often, but when I do I always appreciate a not-completely-pants-on-head-insane conservative viewpoint.

So what you saying is you prefer pants-on head insane liberal viewpoint. Thanks for the laugh.

I got it in college. If I had the money, I'd get it again - it's worth reading.

I actually have a buddy who turned out to be a reporter for them.

So what you saying is you prefer pants-on head insane liberal viewpoint. Thanks for the laugh.

So you consider WSJ a pants-on-head liberal viewpoint? That's a new one.

Back
Top Bottom