• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Monthly Mortgage or Rent Payment?

How much is your monthly mortgage or rent?

• Total voters
Was the same in New York. The houses weren't that expensive if you don't live in the city (we lived Upstate) but the taxes are horrendous. We looked at a $55,900 2 family house, about 15 years ago. It was owned by a 20 year old guy who inherited it from his grandfather. The guy was a stoner, threw wild parties, busted out windows, etc. The house was a hot mess, but it was huge and had good bones, you know? And it was right in the middle of the village. We were going to buy it as a fixer-upper, but then we found out that the taxes were $3,700 a year, or an additional $300 a month on top of the house. Also, once we remodeled it, it would be reassessed, and the taxes would go up even more. We walked away and didn't buy the house. Shame, too. I liked that house a lot.

Yeah, we don't call it "Taxachusetts" for nothing! :lol:

That's too bad about the house. Don't they realize that they drive people away? I've heard of mass people moving out of NY because it's just too expensive to live there!

My sister-in-law lives in Ashburnham. She'd never complain about the cost of living there because she wants everyone in the family to think she's very well off. :lol:

I am curious, how much is your monthly mortgage or rent? To not get too personal, I chose some pretty wide ranges in this poll. But I will share that my mortgage payment is about $965 a month.

No rent or mortgage, property taxes $550/yr on 22 acres of alder, fir and stinging nettles. No services beyond sanding the paved road when it (rarely) snows.
Wouldn't trade it for urban anywhere.

My rent is around $3,000/month. Fortunately Uncle Sam picks up the tab.

You've got a good uncle.

He has his moments. But often he can be a real d!ck. ;)

ETA: Most Europeans do know who Uncle Sam is, right? I just realized that might not be the case.

3 bedroom, 2 1/2bath. Mortgage is 360 a month.

My sister-in-law lives in Ashburnham. She'd never complain about the cost of living there because she wants everyone in the family to think she's very well off. :lol:

Oh yes, that's central MA in Worcester county, even MORE expensive than my area. She must be kind of well off to live there. :lol:

Oh yes, that's central MA in Worcester county, even MORE expensive than my area. She must be kind of well off to live there. :lol:

Well she'll certainly tell you about it if you give her 4 minutes. :lol:

Well she'll certainly tell you about it if you give her 4 minutes. :lol:

No thanks. I'll pass, but at least she's not trying to borrow money from you all the time. :mrgreen: See, a silver lining in every cloud.

was debt free 10 years before we retired. Both wife and myself worked, we lived on one modest salary and saved the other.

So no morgage, no car payments.

No thanks. I'll pass, but at least she's not trying to borrow money from you all the time. :mrgreen: See, a silver lining in every cloud.

Well she's one of the very few who aren't trying to borrow money from us, so I guess you're right. :lol:

Mortgage payment is $876.00/mo

4 bedroom, 3 bath, dbl car garage in a subdivision...where the neighbors are high falutin busy bodies.

One of these days I'll live on some land in the country somewhere with a couple of horses. Hopefully before I get too damn old to do so!

Mortgage payment is $876.00/mo

4 bedroom, 3 bath, dbl car garage in a subdivision...where the neighbors are high falutin busy bodies.

One of these days I'll live on some land in the country somewhere with a couple of horses. Hopefully before I get too damn old to do so!

We were invited, this past Saturday, to a place called "The Hill." It's a spread owned by the grandparents of my friend. It was just awesome. They dug out this nice, deep pond - well, deep on one end, but waist deep on the other so kids could swim in it. There's an island in the middle of the pond that has a hand-built gazebo, with power and wired speakers, and a bridge going over the pond to connect the island to the rest of the property. The pond has full grown Cypress trees in it, and is surrounded by mature trees covered in Spanish moss. The house itself is a big 2 story farmhouse, with a wrap-around porch that encompassed the entire house. The back of the house, which faced the pond, was lined with rockers. I didn't want to leave. I so wish we'd purchased something out in the country, instead of buying in a subdivision. We gave the girls the choice because we were buying the house mainly for them, and they chose the subdivision. Once they saw "The Hill" yesterday, they wish they'd chosen differently, too.

Back
Top Bottom