• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Feedback Requested - XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the forums are left open, then any posts/threads/users/etc. that are created after the database is exported will be lost. Every post you make creates another entry into the database. In order to migrate the forum, that database has to be imported into the XenForo software. If the vBulletin forum is left open, then any posts in between the time the database was downloaded, imported into XenForo and when XenForo goes live, will be lost.

So, long answer short, most forums will close the forum when the transition is happening, in order to make sure no posts or users are lost. Again, I want to be clear I am NOT speaking on behalf of the forums, just my own knowledge/experience, but I would expect a minimum downtime of several hours. I would presume they would do a test migration in the background first, to see what challenges might arise, but it wouldn't surprise me for the forums to be closed for at least an hour under best of circumstances.
The only inherent costs would be the purchasing of the XenForo software (which starts at $160 and goes up depending on other services purchased). That's not to say they wouldn't have other costs (for example, if they wanted add-ons or wanted someone to migrate/install for them).

But the only absolutely necessary cost will likely be the forum license.

If it takes a few hrs to a full day so ensure a successful migration of data- no issues here

With all being volunteers, they will needless to say schedule this, as best suits their own timings.

All one needs is a few hrs notice, a day would be nice, something I can also live with

Successful migration of data IMHO is critical

As has been discussed previously, we are seriously considering changing the forum software from vBulletin 4.x to XenForo 2.x. vB doesn't have the features we're wanting to add, it's a bit outdated and support is almost non-existent. We've done some testing (and still have more to do), but I wanted to get some feedback from our DP community as a whole. With that in mind, I have created a demo for everyone to join and play around with. It will be up and running until Tuesday evening. Test out some of the features (mentions, embed video from multiple sources, embed tweets, etc...). So far, I've created just a few generic forums for the purpose of this test environment. If we decide to go with XenForo, everything from here will be moved to the new software.

Website - XenForo demo

I ask that everyone behave yourselves and please post any feedback concerning the software here in this thread. Please keep in mind that the settings are mostly the default settings, some of these will need to be tweaked (for example, the default setting for new thread creation was 3 minutes).

Thanks

Most points??

The biggest problem I have with the new software is that no matter how many times I hit "draft" nobody shows up with a beer.

Maybe when they go to he new site and change it to draught, then the beer will flow.. ;)

As has been discussed previously, we are seriously considering changing the forum software from vBulletin 4.x to XenForo 2.x. vB doesn't have the features we're wanting to add, it's a bit outdated and support is almost non-existent. We've done some testing (and still have more to do), but I wanted to get some feedback from our DP community as a whole. With that in mind, I have created a demo for everyone to join and play around with. It will be up and running until Tuesday evening. Test out some of the features (mentions, embed video from multiple sources, embed tweets, etc...). So far, I've created just a few generic forums for the purpose of this test environment. If we decide to go with XenForo, everything from here will be moved to the new software.

Website - XenForo demo

I ask that everyone behave yourselves and please post any feedback concerning the software here in this thread. Please keep in mind that the settings are mostly the default settings, some of these will need to be tweaked (for example, the default setting for new thread creation was 3 minutes).

Thanks

I know that you need to get reimbursed for the many hours of time and expense of running a site but my only complaint is the layout of the site with the intrusive ads. My two cents.

Looks OK, but the issue with me is that I have No Script on my FF browser and XF seems to require javascript. Any possibility of keeping it turned off?

Most likely no. I'd have to dig into this further to see. Are you able to make exceptions for specific sites with No Script?

Not sure. I like vBulletin, I'm very used to it in other forums too and I actually find their customer support decent. Not sure why the need to switch. I'd rather not. But hey, whatever you guys decide is fine with me.

A question: will the migration put everybody in equal footing like everybody starting with one post? I find it helpful to see for how long users have been here. Posting history will also be lost, right? That, for me is a big downside as sometimes one needs to fish out an old post to make or prove a point.

All of the posts in vB will carry over to XF. Likes, pictures, etc... will go over as well.

Lots of folks probably enjoy the "thread information" feature at the bottom of threads here.

Wonder if new site would have a similar display, allowing members know whether they have an active audience or not.

This doesn't appear to be a part of the stock XF software but this may be part of an add-on. I will look into this as this is a popular feature for some.

I suggest tweaking the sig feature, if possible.

I didn't really push the limits, but I included a pretty big picture AND a video in my sig line in this thread: Testing My Sig Line | XenForo demo

I can see that stuff getting out of hand VERY quickly...or everyone will be forced to turn off seeing sigs in their preferences.

That's all I've done so far, but I have no complaints. I've used xenforo in other forums. Not hard to get used to.

Yeah, that will need to be tweaked a bit (ours is here in vB so this doesn't happen).

It looks pretty decent but I too am not a fan of the tiny round avatars but then again that seems to be the way everything is going. Facebook adopted the same format :(

Also a very minor nothing issue, do we lose all the cool emoji/smileys that we have here?
The default smileys on the XF site are also just like FB...dull.
I want to be able to :beatdeadhorse while sit and relax and have an enjoyable :eek:uch: while the :popcorn2: is in the :nukeum:...but that's just me.

Most if not all of our current smilies can be transferred over.

Ref preferences/alerts and what some entail/user tips??

If it comes with a how to for dummies, pls sign me up

My friend also asked for a copy

I will put together a "how to" thread and possibly a video or two as well.

Deleting posts

Went in today, deleted 2 posts from yesterday

A time max for deletion was not set???

I dunno. I like having the option of changing the format colors, as I tend to go with LateNight (at the bottom).

I'm going to try uploading some templates later today if I have time. I definitely want to keep the look of DP 3.0, Late Night and Green Machine as options. This may not be something we have right away, but it is high on the list of things to do.

As a side note, the mobile version on my phone's browser looks much better than vB does.

Red,

I'm in the habit of manually hand-formatting most of my posts. vB uses BBCode.

What language does X/F use for formatting? Is there a page explaining the syntax? Is there a page listing the accepted tags?

BBCode works on XF as well.

It is my understanding that your DP post count and likes can be exported to X/F

Will data transfer from DP also apply to all of one's DP threads, posts, infractions, and the like?

In other words, will a user be "whole" again after the transfer from DP to X/F?

Yes, everything should transfer. Our likes system is an add-on but there are tools to transfer this to XF.

Polls - Great

Change vote easily

Add questions, as info does change- easy

And I tested deleting a question on the poll- could not be done

Images- videos from other than YouTube, easy as hell, same with images

All I see are positives

Big question is always, transferring data

Next, with more alert functions and such, members should be reminded to update- amend this

So a dummies guide for ones like myself is suggested, a quick FAQ's???

Lastly, will this result in added costs to transfer, and are donations needed to cover this singular charge

If so, perhaps amending the donation pages to include donated for upgrade and leave the dollar value open

A buck is a buck

There will be a "how to" thread and possibly a video or two.

The cost to upgrade to XF is cheaper than vB 5.x. Yes, we will ask for donations separately for the sole purpose of the upgrade.

I know that you need to get reimbursed for the many hours of time and expense of running a site but my only complaint is the layout of the site with the intrusive ads. My two cents.

We don't get reimbursed for anything. This site is paid for solely based on donations from the membership. None of the staff make a dime off of donations, we are all volunteers.

What site are you seeing "intrusive ads" on? This site (DP) or the test site that this thread references?

Deleting posts

Went in today, deleted 2 posts from yesterday

A time max for deletion was not set???

Keep in mind that the test site is the stock default XF load. There will be a lot of changes to the default settings so that they more in line match what we have now.

There will be a "how to" thread and possibly a video or two.

The cost to upgrade to XF is cheaper than vB 5.x. Yes, we will ask for donations separately for the sole purpose of the upgrade.

I've played with vB5. Just don't do it. The package is a horrible mess.

**For those that might know, vB5 wasn't a horrible mess because of me. Sure, I uploaded a ****load of files to the wrong place and facilitated the addition of 1.7million avatar templates, 23 trillion emojis and an award system that turned into Godzilla on steroids but I was following the guidance of "experts".

Keep in mind that the test site is the stock default XF load. There will be a lot of changes to the default settings so that they more in line match what we have now.

From your earlier post ref time to edit a thread?? I figured there are a few time delays etc to be set

I'm going to try uploading some templates later today if I have time. I definitely want to keep the look of DP 3.0, Late Night and Green Machine as options. This may not be something we have right away, but it is high on the list of things to do.

As a side note, the mobile version on my phone's browser looks much better than vB does.

Thank you! I appreciate it. :)

I have installed a couple of free themes. One is hideous and one has potential. You can select from the lower left hand corner.

We don't get reimbursed for anything. This site is paid for solely based on donations from the membership. None of the staff make a dime off of donations, we are all volunteers.

What site are you seeing "intrusive ads" on? This site (DP) or the test site that this thread references?

I understand that and didn't mean to imply you were interested in ad revenue and I do appreciate this site. mainly because it isn't cluttered with ads and the other one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom