• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Feedback Requested - XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
As has been discussed previously, we are seriously considering changing the forum software from vBulletin 4.x to XenForo 2.x. vB doesn't have the features we're wanting to add, it's a bit outdated and support is almost non-existent. We've done some testing (and still have more to do), but I wanted to get some feedback from our DP community as a whole. With that in mind, I have created a demo for everyone to join and play around with. It will be up and running until Tuesday evening. Test out some of the features (mentions, embed video from multiple sources, embed tweets, etc...). So far, I've created just a few generic forums for the purpose of this test environment. If we decide to go with XenForo, everything from here will be moved to the new software.

Website - XenForo demo

I ask that everyone behave yourselves and please post any feedback concerning the software here in this thread. Please keep in mind that the settings are mostly the default settings, some of these will need to be tweaked (for example, the default setting for new thread creation was 3 minutes).

Thanks

Well, first of all I don't wish to join any website that requires my actual name.

That's a problem I noted when I tried to log-on to the test site. I think it needs to maintain the same process as the old forum...user name and password. Or it that the plan?

Since I didn't want to do that I could not actually use the test. However, on first sight it looks less "friendly" to me...maybe because I am old and change-averse. ;)

Your actual name is not required. You can choose whatever username you want and whatever password you want. This is a test site that is wiped 72 hours after it's creation.

Your actual name is not required. You can choose whatever username you want and whatever password you want. This is a test site that is wiped 72 hours after it's creation.

Well, it keeps telling me I need to log on. When I enter a name and try a password...it says "not recognized."

So far, so good! UI is much more intuitive, notifications are nice, seems to have all the important features from this board. Am I missing a couple items, though? Will you be able to add info like lean to profiles or maybe even be able to change color schemes? As long as you are upgrading to something that is actually currently supported, these are fairly easy features to program and probably included.

It doesn't carry over from this site (at least not any data for test site) Did you register a new user name and pass?

There's going to be a notification every time some posts in a thread I did? I prefer how it's done here with the participated tab.

There's going to be a notification every time some posts in a thread I did? I prefer how it's done here with the participated tab.

Under settings, you can choose what notifications you get

As has been discussed previously, we are seriously considering changing the forum software from vBulletin 4.x to XenForo 2.x. vB doesn't have the features we're wanting to add, it's a bit outdated and support is almost non-existent. We've done some testing (and still have more to do), but I wanted to get some feedback from our DP community as a whole. With that in mind, I have created a demo for everyone to join and play around with. It will be up and running until Tuesday evening. Test out some of the features (mentions, embed video from multiple sources, embed tweets, etc...). So far, I've created just a few generic forums for the purpose of this test environment. If we decide to go with XenForo, everything from here will be moved to the new software.

Website - XenForo demo

I ask that everyone behave yourselves and please post any feedback concerning the software here in this thread. Please keep in mind that the settings are mostly the default settings, some of these will need to be tweaked (for example, the default setting for new thread creation was 3 minutes).

Thanks

Seems to work fine, Red. I made a couple of posts, inserted an image into one and some media into another.

I reported Kerigan 'cause he asked us to do that.

Thanks!

Any changes take some time to get used to. Not sure about the benefits.

Well, it keeps telling me I need to log on. When I enter a name and try a password...it says "not recognized."

You will need to follow the prompts to set up a new account.

When you set up a new account the system will send you an email. You will then need to click the "confirm your email" button in the automated message sent by XenForo.

So far, so good! UI is much more intuitive, notifications are nice, seems to have all the important features from this board. Am I missing a couple items, though? Will you be able to add info like lean to profiles or maybe even be able to change color schemes? As long as you are upgrading to something that is actually currently supported, these are fairly easy features to program and probably included.

Yes, we will incorporate lean and change color schemes. This is just the default layout. I will play around more with it over the next day or two.

You need to register there, just as you did here.

Website - XenForo demo

Thanks

Not sure what is an upgrade over what is present, look and feel? Maybe some points on how we gain?

Not sure what is an upgrade over what is present, look and feel? Maybe some points on how we gain?

I believe the change is more a vB thing.

Didn't know that the present vBullitin was under performing in some way. :shrug:

It has more than 10 posts per page.

I hope we can keep that. It really hurts the conversation when the it's a new page every few posts. Your posts get buried and nobody ever sees them.

I'd like to see 30 to 40 posts per page.

If this was answered, I'm sorry for the repeat. Will old posts carry forward? I don't know how the DBs and Queries are set up.

I hope we can keep that. It really hurts the conversation when the it's a new page every few posts. Your posts get buried and nobody ever sees them.

The default is 20 per page. I'm not seeing a way for each user to select a different number but that doesn't mean this doesn't exist. I'll add this to my list of things to check on.

If this was answered, I'm sorry for the repeat. Will old posts carry forward? I don't know how the DBs and Queries are set up.

Yes, what exists on DP currently would be carried over to XenForo's version of DP - posts, likes, etc...

Yes, what exists on DP currently would be carried over to XenForo's version of DP - posts, likes, etc...

Just as a general feedback, then, I think it is a step up. Being able to move the whole DB to the new format and using the vastly improved UI would be a win-win IMO. Some folks might not be too excited at the changes, but it really isn't that different and the new format is pretty simple for end user. I also would be hugely surprised to find out the admin side wasn't much simpler, including everything from addressing concerns to dealing with nightly backups.

Try doing so some embeds. You will notice the upgrade right away. Can embed tweets and videos from sources other than YouTube for example.

You can get that here; use your User Control Panel for Settings.

If it makes life easier for Admins & Mods, I'm all for it. I'm kinda old school, and like DP's format, but I can be a quick study when required, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom